IGNORED

any audiophiles out there...

Repoman

I have an 06 R1200RT that was prewired for the BMW radio sound system including the speakers. What I don't have is the radio or the controls on the handle bars. What I want to do is to install a mini Amp and hook my Ipod to the Amp as well as the speakers so I can listen to the music that I have on my Ipod. I found this Amp on line, do you think it will work? Any suggestions would be helpful.

http://www.powerview.com/MiniAmplifier.html Powerview

thanks,

Doug

ArthurKnowles

I purchased something quite similar to this a while back. Only cost me about $30. Claimed 75 watts peak, but 20 was more like it. Worked well enough in the garage, but at speed it began to fade.

My Pioneer radio claimed 22 RMS and it worked better than the cheapo amp, but still unless you are in the wind pocket it can be difficult to hear. On my RT with the Pioneer or stock system I can honestly hear it up to about 100 mph, but can only enjoy it at 75 mph or less. And that's because I have the tall BMW windshield on it. If I lower it, wind noise drowns it out.

On my previous motorcycle I installed a Sony radio and Alpin 50 watt x 2 amplifier. Much better sound. Much better quality. But still, unless you are in the wind pocket the wind noise will drown out anything.

Now days I listen to the stock radio in town. On the high way or trips I use bluetooth stereo right to my helmet. Currently that is a iPhone 3G with the beta OS (I have access via the developer program) and my Camos 600 headset. Works very well, but still need to avoid the wind noise or you ears will ring from the turbulance. I'm looking to buy a Schuberth C3 soem time this summer and see if it lives up to its reputation.

Indy Dave

for sound quality, you can't bet ear plugs, IMO. You get both wind noise reduction and decent jams.

The trade off is that you have no phone, no gps, etc etc. At some point, I'm sure there will be some BT ear plugs - but getting them to fit in your helmet might be something else all together.

for sound quality, you can't bet ear plugs, IMO. You get both wind noise reduction and decent jams.

The trade off is that you have no phone, no gps, etc etc. At some point, I'm sure there will be some BT ear plugs - but getting them to fit in your helmet might be something else all together.

"The trade off is that you have no phone, no gps, etc etc." ...and that's a bad thing?? ;)

I agree with the earphones. Many people don't realize that it's not the amp, but the speakers that make all the difference. As part of the speaker system, the box is absolutely critical, especially when it comes to bass. There's just no way you get anything close to great sound on a bike via speakers. If you're after the best sound, go with a good quality amp (don't worry so much about wattage) and a good pair of headphones.

Archived