IGNORED

Turn signal won't work

KTM_95

2005 RT

My left turn signal won't work. If I hit the switch it won't turn on. The emergency flashers will work however. I have to assume that one of the bulbs it out... and I have to assume it is a dual filiment bulb? How do I get to the bulbs on the front? The rear looks easy to get to, but I haven't tried it yet.

What are the bulbs to replace them with? Can I just hit NAPA to get bulbs? Anyone have the part numbers? Thanks!

To get to the front turn signal bulb,You pull the mirror off,,grab the trim around the mirror and pull straight back,Reinstall the mirror dry,,No lube on the balls,,Or it well fall off on the road,,You could have a bad switch,,Your not the first,,

You have a bad switch, I guarantee it. You will have to have it replaced. Both my left and right units went out (not at the same time) and exhibited the same symptoms as you... if it was a bulb, your hazard lights would not work, plus you would get the light indicator warning symbol on your dash. BTW, if memory serves me correct, the cost to replace the unit, including labor if it is out of warranty, and yours probably is, is around $300.00 dollars, I think a bit more maybe.

Others here may have an alternate fix (cleaning a contact or something like that, a loose wire maybe, but you would have to disassemble it to fix, and I did have to do that on mine as it is still under warranty).

My best guess as to why these failed is water intrusion, either from weather or when washing the bike. Maybe the upgraded switchgear from the new 1300GT and others will migrate to the RT in a year or so and solve this problem that has affected some owners.

Good luck with your fix.

It’s a single filament bulb, so if it flashes with the hazards, that’s not the issue. As mentioned, bad switch is not unheard of.

I was caught in a monsoon 3 weeks ago. Crap. Is that switch something I can replace myself or do I need to take it to the dealer and get bent over? Where is the "switch" that goes out?

Limecreek
Maybe the upgraded switchgear from the new 1300GT and others will migrate to the RT in a year or so and solve this problem that has affected some owners.

The switch gear on the K13GT is the most common failure to date on the new bike. :dopeslap:

If the switch is bad, how is it that the emergency flashers work? Do you turn them on by pressing both switches simultaneously? And do all the bulbs light as emergency flashers?

The indicator won't even show when I hit the left turn signal, but it will indicate when the flashers are on.

All the bulbs light when I hit the little triangle button on the left control.

The 05 must be different than the 08. On the 08 you press both left and right turn indicators together to turn on the hazards. There is not a separate control for hazards. Is there a 'hazard button' on the 05? If that's the case, ignore my earlier commment.

The 05 must be different than the 08. On the 08 you press both left and right turn indicators together to turn on the hazards. There is not a separate control for hazards. Is there a 'hazard button' on the 05? If that's the case, ignore my earlier commment.
Yes. This was a '07 change if I recall correctly.

Ken (and the rest),

The OP must have a different switch unit on the 05 RT with the triangle hazard button (interestingly, I had that same set up on my 02 RT) BUT on my 06 I have the set up where you have to push both turn signals at once to get the hazards to work (I have ESA and the switch to hit that is on a separate pad next to where the volume for the radio would go, not on the left unit as on some RTs I have seen). So, it is a bad switch on the turn signal... needs to probably be replaced.

Yes, the 05 has a hazard button. I didn't know they removed those from later models or I would have mentioned that.

How do I get to the switch to clean it?

I hit it with WD-40 to displace any water that could be in there, but no dice. I suspect I need to clean it or replace it. I hate to replace the entire unit... there has to be a way to clean the contact points or disect it to the point where I can replace the part that is shot.

Is there anything I can do to waterproof this area so it won't happen again? Can I put some sort of silicone or gasket maker in the area to seal it better?

Kerry in Mpls
Yes. This was a '07 change if I recall correctly.
My '06 uses the "press-both-turn-signals-at-once" method.

I think you may be out of luck as if there REALLY is a way to clean or wipe some contact point in the switch, I think my dealer may have tried that instead of ordering and installing a whole new unit. In fact, I seem to remember the service tech that handled the first instance of this on the left control unit that saying something to the effect... the switch was bad, so we ordered you a new one. That and I was still under warranty. They did the same on the right one 15,000 miles later. Sorry that doesn't help you any... others here may know if there is a way to clean it, but my gut is saying I think you have to replace the whole assembly (and get one exactly the same as you are replacing, with the cruise control).

Just had this problem on my 05 RT -- no left left directional. I got the housing just far enough apart to spray some WD40 and it worked -- for a while and then stopped again. Last Saturday, a friend and I spent nearly 3 hours taking the entire left unit apart (whole lot of different types of fasteners in strange places) and found the small rubber seal that surrounds the actual switch to be torn. We tried to determine if there was current through the switch (smaller than a dime, round white and black with two tiny wires coming out of the back encased in epoxy) by sticking needles through the epoxy and then testing current -- there was current but it was not constant so we concluded the little round switch was bad. Squirted more WD$) and began the reassembly -- checking each step they the directional worked. It did and stil does work but not for long. Hunting for the switch which I will solder in place (surgically as the wires are very small and hard to get at). Good luck.

Just had this problem on my 05 RT -- no left left directional. I got the housing just far enough apart to spray some WD40 and it worked -- for a while and then stopped again. Last Saturday, a friend and I spent nearly 3 hours taking the entire left unit apart (whole lot of different types of fasteners in strange places) and found the small rubber seal that surrounds the actual switch to be torn. We tried to determine if there was current through the switch (smaller than a dime, round white and black with two tiny wires coming out of the back encased in epoxy) by sticking needles through the epoxy and then testing current -- there was current but it was not constant so we concluded the little round switch was bad. Squirted more WD$) and began the reassembly -- checking each step they the directional worked. It did and stil does work but not for long. Hunting for the switch which I will solder in place (surgically as the wires are very small and hard to get at). Good luck.

Let me know what you find to replace the bad switch. It has to be something fairly simple, then again those silly Germans over-engineer everything!

Archived