IGNORED

Am I a Ham Hand?

charliegrips

charliegrips

It happens that I had the opportunity to get a 2000 R1100rs. This happens to be the fourth one I`ve had since their inception. I just love this model. Has anybody experienced the super touchy throttle,or am I just getting old. This bike is almost impossible to drive smoothly. It gets a bit better if I slightly tighten the Throttlemeister,to help with the drive line lash ,or super sensitive throttle response. The cables are adjusted properly. I just thought I`d get some feedback.

How many miles???My self I would start with the basics,,Valve adjust,,T/body sink,,If its still there,It may be the start of a spline failure,

It sounds like the dreaded, yet officially non-existent surge to me. Did you ever experience anything like this with your previous bikes?

Let's get some specifics, such as mileage, in what gears, speed, RPM's this happens.

I'd be willing to bet my last dried-up, unravelled, found-it-under-the-seat-after-4-months Ricky Patel(the moist ones are in the humidor) that it is the surge.

Killintime

First thing I would check would be the play at the grip end of the throttle. A little rotational play before the throttles open does wonders for controlled input.

Bill_Walker
First thing I would check would be the play at the grip end of the throttle. A little rotational play before the throttles open does wonders for controlled input.

YMMV. I find that slack in the throttle cable messes up my throttle work.

russell_bynum

Have you experienced this problem with any of your previous R1100RS bikes?

What do you mean by "super touchy throttle"?

i.e. What specifically are you experiencing and under what load/speed/gear/rpm conditions?

charliegrips

I just don`t know.When the bike`s in first it really is touchy(real sensitive to inputs)In second it gets better,it gets progressively better as you get into high. It seems that there is the normal amount of play in the throttle . It`s what we used to call drive line snatch. I hope its not in the tranny. How could that be setup wrong on an 8000 mile bike? As I think about the situation,it could be the start of some type of drive line failure. The snatch could be caused by too much clearance in either the input or output shaft in the transmission. Funny thing I wrote about this problem on the British R1100rs forum & it was widely agreed that it`s quite hard for many of these Brit riders to get a smooth takeoff with many of their bikes.

russell_bynum

Have you experienced this problem on any of your previous R1100RS bikes?

What you're describing sounds like typical driveline lash and a touchy on/off throttle response. The on/off throttle response can be improved (dramatically, depending on how bad it currently is and how much time you're willing to spend) with a good tuneup (valve adjust and throttle body sync) including the 0=0 procedure. One thing I found was that when you do the 0=0, the closer you can get the idle TPS voltage as close to the top of the spec as possible (don't quote me on the actual value because it's been a while, but I believe the top of the idle spec is .400mv), the smoother the on/off throttle transition was.

This makes sense because it means there's less of a gap between the throttle plates actually opening and the computer transitioning out of it's idle map.

BTW, Great choice of bikes...I think the R1100RS is one of BMW's most under-rated bikes.

Archived