IGNORED

Bike-To-Bike With Motorola Units.......

Redbrick

Kathy and I have a set of Motorola T5950 Talkabout's (FRS/GMRS)....There is a stereo type jack (1/8") on them and they have the capability for push-to-talk....However, the ear buds and the in-line PTT button are not practical for our intended use...

On our long trips it would be handy to OCCASIONALLY communicate with each other, bike to bike....

Is there an easy way to set these up with a push-to-talk button maybe in the clutch area to use these?....Mic's would be the other issue......We both have Arizona Al's ear plug/phones......Is there a simple system available to accomplish the above? Couldn't find anything on Motorola's website and I'm an base novice on electronic stuff.....

Thanks.......

PTT on the Talkabouts is accomplished by grounding the positive microphone lead to ground though a resistor (2.2k ohms or thereabouts), and any convenient switch can be used to do this. I think with the 1/8" stereo plug on the Motorolas the tip is the speaker, ring is the mic, and the shell is ground. Connect your earphones to the speaker output, a condenser mic to the mic input (with another lead from the mic input going to ground through the resistor and your PTT switch), and the grounds as appropriate. Any condenser mic element should work but to ensure compatibility you might want to buy a cheapie headset and steal it from that.

I think I understand the basics but thought it might be easier using a pic of the Motorola harness....I can use the Motorola jack by cutting it off and just check to see what part of the jack does what in which wire; ground, mic, sound with a multimeter....Also, assuming "shell" means the part of the jack opposite the tip (the "butt", if you will)......

Thanks again.......

IMG_1944.jpg

Yes, the shell (also known as the sleeve) is the top, ring is the middle section, and the tip is, well, the tip. :grin: The shell/sleeve is most always the ground connection so you can verify which is speaker and which is mic by touching the tip of your earphone connector to wires coming from the ring and then the tip and seeing where you hear audio (and of course connect the sleeves together too so you have a common ground.) Once you've identified the conductors then it's mostly just a job of physically wiring everything up...

Thanks Smiller for your direction......I'll fiddle around with it and see how it works out....

Archived