IGNORED

Need help now - Final Drive question

BarOne

In the middle of a final drive fluid change -- need to know how much fluid is needed for an 05 R1200RT.

Thanks

Missouri Bob

220 cc + maybe 10 cc more to compensate for that which doesn't make it into the drive.

You ARE using 75w90, aren't you?

Bob

marcopolo

I have a service bulletin in front of me for the GS final drive (same as the RT). For an oil change it calls for .23 litres. And yes, it's 75W90 synthetic GL5 gear oil that BMW specifies.

In the middle of a final drive fluid change -- need to know how much fluid is needed for an 05 R1200RT.

Thanks

According to the maintenance video, approx. 8 oz ... I put a little more in to compensate for waste or for that which that doesn't get in the speed sensor hole.

The thing is, since the speed sensor hole is up high, it isn't like other bikes where you fill it to the top of the threads. You actually can't see it. So, you have to take it on faith. I just did mine and put about 9 oz in. It didn't blow up yet. Make sure you lube the splines on the final drive before you put it back together.

Good luck

Don_Eilenberger

Given the design of the rear drive - I suspect +/- 20cc's or so will make absolutely no difference in performance or drive life. The oil isn't sitting in the bottom of the housing once the bike gets moving - it's being churned around inside and carried up on the crown gear.

I found that RideOn (tire-sealant) squeeze bottles are 8Oz, which is perfect since they come with a nozzle/hose fitting. Squeezing the oil into the rear drive - while a tad tedious (took about 10 minutes) wasn't rocket science.

markgoodrich

Two suggestions which might make it easier next time.

Go to a beauty supply store and hunt around until you find a plastic bottle measured in ml, with a long spout. Volume problem solved.

Put most of the fluid in the "drain" hole until it begins to try to run out, then the last bit through the sensor hole. Cuts out nine of Don's ten minutes.

Mister Tee

I use a 50 cc horse syringe and a short length of poly tubing (kind you would use in a fish tank.) Works great, and you don't have to separately measure anything out.

Archived