IGNORED

Speed versus Price..get it?

kinchy

Need a new rear Conti Road Attack for the RT. A new Triumph/Victory dealer opened 10 minutes from the house so I decided to try them as opposed to driving 135 miles and wasting an entire day at Cliffs. Said dealer is sizeable, lots of inventory, big shop all the attributes that provide confidence. As the subject implies I explained to the service mgr my priority was getting it done faster rather than saving a few dollars. He was polite, cordial and spent the next 30 minutes reviewing tire provider catalogs to find the Conti and price. I didn't buy the tire and supply it since I don't have an issue with them making their margin. So he says "we can get the tire here by next wednesday". That's 6 days. I repeat that speed is the priority. He goes back to his catalog and says that "this particular wholesaler can probably have it here in 4 days". I can live with that. I ask if he stocks tires and he says no. Strange, they sell a full range of Truimphs, Victorys as well as other recreational vehicles and don't stock tires, OK. Four days elapse, on day 6 he calls-the tire is due in on day 7 and "I can arrange to have it installed next Tuesday" That's day 13 if your counting. Thirteen days to get a tire changed? I've been on my best behavior and supressed my opinion but guys, really.. you think 13 days to get a tire changed is good customer service? Especially when the customer indicated speed was more important than cost? I now understand why riders supply thier own tire. If I can get it in one day why can't someone in the business?

In my humble opinion this is a classic example of why BMW and HD dealers have a customer constituency. Like I said, nice guys, nice dealership but apparently lacking a sense of urgency even when it's a headline. Sanity check boys, am I being an AH here?

Matts_12GS

I guess it's only bad if you have no other options near you.

Since your RT uses pretty common sized tires, you should be able to go and get tires at most any kind of shop. The only things you would need to be aware of is their ability to remove the tires and their knowledge of proper torque specs, etc.

If you can turn a wrench, you can always pull the wheels and take them to a cycle gear or perhaps an indie shop.

It would seem that either of those options would be done in less than 13 days.

Option 3 is always to do it yourself. If you're doing more than a set per year, or have multiple bikes you just might find yourself saving a dollar or two annually doing tires on your own schedule.

Most mail order tire shops will get the tires to you within a few days max (rarely more than two days for me from SW Moto for example, sometimes the next day) and of course at a significant discount from retail pricing. I don't know why it would take a dealer so much longer to get the tires in, that extra margin you're so willing to pay should buy you added value, not less, and as Matt pointed out there are several other options if you don't feel that's what you're getting.

exactly why I bought tire changing stuff and learned how to do it myself. I wanted to know that I can toss a set of tires in the corner of the garage and get around to replacing them anytime I damn well please........even if its some random Tuesday night at 10pm.

outpost22

We have 3 shops here that stock and change tires, usually within hours of bringing in a wheel to them. That being said, I still prefer to change my own on my own schedule.

Your wait was FAR too long.

As a former manager at a BMW dealership, I am a strong advocate of supporting your local dealer, BMW or otherwise. However, for the dealer to be worthy of that support, they need to deliver what you're looking for. Here's what I suspect happened.

You said you were talking to the Service Manager about a tire, and that HE went and looked it up. That's not the Service Manager's job. It's up to the Parts Manager to be able to tell the Service Manager how fast they can get something in. I suspect that you were at a dealer where one person is functioning as both Service and Parts Manager. Therefore, he probably doesn't order from his distributors every day because he's doing two jobs.

Both Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky can get that tire to your dealer in two working days, assuming it's in stock at the nearest warehouse. I suspect that given the likelihood that he's wearing several hats, the person you spoke to orders from these distributors only once or twice a week, thus the extra days in the delay. Given that you expressed your urgency, he should have 'fessed up and given you the option of going elsewhere, or he should have stepped up and gotten the order placed that day.

As for not scheduling you until the tire got there, that's not acceptable. When he ordered, he should have asked for and received an ETA, and he should have called you and scheduled you for the day after, just to give himself a 1-day cushion (in case UPS is late).

Anyway, that's the way our dealership ran. As they say, YMMV. But I don't think you owe them any loyalty. And that's not easy for me to say.

Were you able to ride during the long wait? I'd be really upset if the bike were not useable for that long.

Matts_12GS
....even if its some random Tuesday night at 10pm.

That's why I like having Danny as a neighbor!

Yes I have use of the motorcycle. I typically change the sneakers out at 7000. There's enough rubber left for safe riding.

It was mentioned before but I'll restate: SW Moto in 2 days, then take to Cycle Gear (Edison, NJ) for $25 per wheel mounted & balanced--they don't care where you got the tires. Or--since you don't mind letting the merchant make a buck, order them FROM Cycle Gear (still only 2-3 days) and they'll probably mount them free or give a discount on mounting.

I have found Cycle Gear very easy and accomodating to work with. They get their goods same place as the dealers do--Parts Unlimited.

shatzbot10

The fellow @ my local "Cycle Gear" says special balancing equipment is required for BMW tires. TRUE?

Mister Tee

Three or four months ago I was about to embark on a 300 mile ride, which I had to cancel due to the condition of the front tire. Since I was running a Michelin PR2 rear, I desired to replace the front with a PR2 as well.

Dealer oddly enough did not have any PR2's in stock even though they normally stock them, and it would have taken them a week to get one. Local sportbike shop oddly enough DID have a PR2 front, and in the correct size, which is a taller profile than a standard sportbike front. Needless to say, I made a beeline for the sportbike shop, picked up the PR2 front, slung it over my shoulder, made a beeline for the BMW dealer service department, and was back in business later on that morning.

Bill_Walker
The fellow @ my local "Cycle Gear" says special balancing equipment is required for BMW tires. TRUE?

Dunno, but my local CG has never said anything to that effect, and have always balanced my tires. Of course, I've never double-checked their balancing, but I've never noticed any high-speed vibration.

There's usually an adapter necessary for BMW wheels and a given shop will either have one or not, so one shop may have a problem and another not.

There's usually an adapter necessary for BMW wheels and a given shop will either have one or not, so one shop may have a problem and another not.

True. For some reason some shops will not spend the extra $100 to buy the BMW cones.

Lone_RT_rider
If you can turn a wrench, you can always pull the wheels and take them to a cycle gear or perhaps an indie shop.

I was told very recently by my local Cycle Gear shop here in Greenville, SC that they cannot balance BMW wheels, especially the new type on my R1200RT.

YMMV

Shawn

They can balance the front wheel for an RT but the rear wheel requires a special adapter that fits their balancers. Some of the Cycle Gear locations have purchased this attachment--but it is costly, so understandable. Its nice to have a Marc Parnes balancer on hand. :grin:

wellcraft

i once waited more than 13 days for a BMW dealer to get tires in for me. i think it was right at 3 weeks between the time the tires were ordered and when they arrived and i could get them installed. the day before they were to be installed i called to confirm my appointment and was told by the service manager they sold the tires to someone else a couple days ago. it really does take a lot to piss me off but i hit the roof upon being told the tires i purchased three weeks ago had been sold to someone who just happened to walk in the door.

wellcraft
It was mentioned before but I'll restate: SW Moto in 2 days, then take to Cycle Gear (Edison, NJ) for $25 per wheel mounted & balanced--they don't care where you got the tires. Or--since you don't mind letting the merchant make a buck, order them FROM Cycle Gear (still only 2-3 days) and they'll probably mount them free or give a discount on mounting.

I have found Cycle Gear very easy and accomodating to work with. They get their goods same place as the dealers do--Parts Unlimited.

do you have a link for cycle gear in edison, nj? their prices sound very reasonable for mounting & balancing tires plus i'm tired of getting raped by the dealer when i need new rubber. thanks

do you have a link for cycle gear in edison, nj? their prices sound very reasonable for mounting & balancing tires plus i'm tired of getting raped by the dealer when i need new rubber. thanks
Here ya go, Store locator Just enter your Zip code.

+1 on Cyclegear. Here in Cali they're very good in customer service :wave:

Cycle Gear has always been good to me. Tires in within 1 or 2 days and will install while I wait...wheels off the bike, of course.

wellcraft
Here ya go, Store locator Just enter your Zip code.

+1 on Cyclegear. Here in Cali they're very good in customer service :wave:

thanks for the link they have a shop about 20 miles from so i'll swing by and check them out.

Called local dealer for new tires (won't name the brand to prevent "tire wars"). Dealer mostly caters to HD and metric cruisers. No BMW dealer for 200 miles. Local wanted about $30 more per tire and $90 to install, and by the way it will be 304 weeks before we can fit you in...

Sorry...go on-line and call the local BMW club tire guy for help!!

Archived