IGNORED

Looking at 2003 R1150RT

mnewb1

Went to check out a used 2003 R1150RT at a local Honda dealer today.

After starting the bike, I notice the brake light continued to blink on the panel. I didn't have time to go through the owners manual and I wondering if anyone knows what the blinking light means.

This bike has 26000 miles on it.

Is this a simple maintenance problem or a run like the wind problem?

Thanks

Charles Elms

It should go away if the battery is fully charged. Not unusual for a bike that has been idle for a while. Test ride the bike for about 10 minutes then stop, turn off, turn on, restart. If light still blinks further checking is required. This is usually not a big problem.

There are two types of blinking on a 1100, both blink at the same time, and alternate blinking. When the bike is started, both lights blink at the same time which indicates that ABS is ready, but not engaged. When you drive off, you will hear the ABS unit clunk, and the lights will stop blinking.

If you have alernate blinking, that indicates that the ABS is not initialized (usually because of low battery voltage) and it does not engage when driving off. You still have brakes, just not ABS.

Hope this helps

Thanks...it made me hesitate... but I'll go back and give it a test ride.

Just coming from three years if HD and not well acquainted with BMW yet.

What part of the country are you in and how much are they asking for the RT? That is pretty low miles

Richard_D

If this is your first BMW , do a search on the 04 RT. They came out with 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Surging was an issue before then.

You really don't want the radio. Only clearly audible at standstill or low speeds. Earbuds (etymotic) and iPod are a popular choice.

If this is your first BMW , do a search on the 04 RT. They came out with 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Surging was an issue before then.

Yes.

For example, our local paper has an '04 w/a few more miles, more goodies, $8,000.

What percentage of the 2003 RT would Surge?

Doesn't this probplem seem to go away after a thorough break in?

Richard_D

It definately has nothing to do with break in. There are fixes with aftermarket parts. The twin spark was one of the biggest improvements BMW ever made. Do a search on surging and you can read all about it.

I know several folks with the 2003 RT and with some care to keep valve adjustments close and throttle bodies set reasonably close...we never notice the legendary "problematic" surging. On my bike, since 40,000 km the valve clearances haven't changed in 25,000 km and the throttle bodies only get an annual check and "tweak". Another big plus is you only have to change out two plugs instead of four when it's time to change:-)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

1. the surge is noticable usually at about 3500 RPMs at slow speeds in a lower gear under constant throttle.

2. Ulike the 1100s, the 1150s do not have a "low battery" ABS issue. They'll set and the light will go off after a few feet.

3. A few of the early 03s (like mine) had the 02 rear brake master cylinder. If you find that it's REALLY touchy, you can swap it out for the later one.

Buying a used BMW from a Honda dealer sounds like it has none of the advantages of buying from a BMW dealer, or even from an individual owner. The seller just won't have much useful knowledge, which would be a problem especially for a buyer new to the brand.

If you bought a used bike from a BMW dealer, you could insist that they change all the fluids, and maybe do a valve adjust and throttle-body sync, as part of the deal. When I bought my 2003 used, the BMW dealer replaced all the fluids without me even asking, and that was wonderful. The Honda dealer would probably be unable to do this even if asked, especially because replacing the brake fluid in an ABS-equipped BMW requires some knowledge specific to the brand and model.

The Honda dealer will also probably be unable to explain other BMW-specific things like the blinking brake lights, whereas a decent BMW dealer would spend a little time with you to explain that stuff.

So I wouldn't be willing to pay as much for the bike if it came from a Honda dealer, especially if I were new to BMWs.

I did go over the the BMW dealer after looking at the bike in question at the Honda dealer.

At BMW, on a Friday afternoon with maybe one or two other people there, they totally ignored me... so after walking around for 15-20 minutes, i finally just left...probably won't be back!

Dave in Doodah

Hey newbie. Welcome aboard!

My 03 RT does not surge at 3-4K rpm. It does 'hunt' a little at lower RPM in 1st and 2nd gears, but not more than an oddity to me. If the one you rode did not surge, you are good to go!

FYI, I paid 6K for mine from a private party last fall, so the Honda dealer price of the one you rode seems in-line with that. I did get a Russell Day Long, but not many other extras. You can get used throttlemeisters on eBay or from Beemer Boneyard for 60 bucks.

Good luck!

Edit: If you are conmfortable with doing your own maintenance, you will not ever need to go back to the BMW dealer!

Richard_D

I had an 02 that ran perfect until 12,000 miles. It started surging so bad after that, BMW had it for a month trying to fix it. They flew in a service advisor from Texas and he finally gave up and bought the bike back from me and gave me a brand new 04 RT.

Some surge. Some don't. Some surge worse than others. Some surge sometimes, and at other times they don't surge.

Surging is not anything to worry about. My '98 RS surges when I use the officially recommended spark plugs, and doesn't surge when I use Autolites. My 2002 RT surges twice a year for 45 seconds each time.

The only things I think you need to be concerned about are:

Does the bike fit you (height)? The seat spreads your knees so you aren't as tall as you think you are.

BMWs are a little top heavy at low speeds, but not really that bad.

BMWs have a dry clutch, and you need to change your 'starting from a stop' process slightly. Again, not a big deal. I had no problem adapting to the dry clutch. In fact, I didn't even know I was supposed to change my starting-off habits until someone here told me so.

These bikes take a long time to 'break in', i.e. they tend to burn a little oil for the first 20,000 miles (no exaggeration). Then they don't use oil - but they will drive you crazy trying to figure out whether you need to add oil or not. It's part of the mystique, and is called 'the dance'.

The seat on the RT isn't very comfortable for some (most) people. You may be okay with it, you may not be. Aftermarket seats are very popular.

BMWs like revs if you are in the curvy parts of the country. Here in Florida, I don't get to use any revs because everything is flat, and straight, so my bike lives between 3000 - 4000 rpm. Sad, but a fact of life.

You can do all the regular maintenance work on the bike yourself, and you will enjoy the work for the most part.

Good luck.

Have an '02 with 63k miles no surging at all (knock on wood), in fact didn't know it was even an issue until I looked on this board. My brakes are fine too no grabbing at all.

Archived