IGNORED

Smelling Gas

RTMark

Hi everyone,

I have learned alot since finding this website.... I am at a loss right now. I have an 1150rt with 22,000 miles the bike is running great ! I was getting bad fuel mileage and decided to give it a tune up. The tuneup went well and the bike is running great but I smell gas. I took everything back off and haven't seen any obvious signs of raw fuel. I notice the smell of gas more on heavy acceleration. Any idea's. Can anyone help me? confused.gif

Did you have the tank off? Most common point of fuel leaks on the R1150RT is the fuel tank quick disconnect connectors. Check there first.

Thanks for the reply,Ken

I will check there when I get home! I didn't have the tank off but my dealer just replaced the clutch splines under warranty about a month ago. If I have a leak there what do i do? Would this be a warranty issue?

Thanks MARK

He should replace it if he caused the issue. The part is inexpensive, I think around $30 for a set of two. If he did not connect them completely or if he forced alignment of the two halves, they may have a leak there. I know this sounds strange, but check you gas filler cap and be sure it is snapped shut. I had that issue on a few occasions. dopeslap.gif

Glad to see the dealer covered the splines for you. Send your information to RightSpin with the VIN and mileage at time of failure. He is tracking this.

Steve

Hi I need more Help! frown.gif I decided to pull the right side panel off to see if i had a leak at the quick disconnects. Well that is the problem,After disconnecting them again they are leaking real bad....Now I am stuck at work!I can't drive 50 miles to the dealer to get this fixed right away. Can i eliminate the quick disconnects? Can I find the proper size fuel lines at an auto store? There is an autozone about 5 blocks from work! Anyone know what size clamps and hose I would need to get? Please Help bncry.gifbncry.gif

BucksTherapy

It takes 5/16 fuel injection clamps and you could try 2" x2 of 1/4" or 5/16" steel line to connect the hoses. You can use 1/4" fuel injection clamps but you will need a lubricant to get them on. They are that tight. This should get you home.

The problem is normally no the quick disconnects bu the o-rings inside them. This site has cross references to automotive replacement parts and I'll check and see if the o-ring is listed. You can check as well.

BucksTherapy

I don't see a cross reference for an automotive replacement for the Quick Disconnect o-ring. Teake one off and take it with you. Be forewarned that the size has to be exact for an o-ring to work.

It takes 5/16 fuel injection clamps and you could try 2" x2 of 1/4" or 5/16" steel line to connect the hoses. You can use 1/4" fuel injection clamps but you will need a lubricant to get them on. They are that tight. This should get you home.

The problem is normally no the quick disconnects bu the o-rings inside them. This site has cross references to automotive replacement parts and I'll check and see if the o-ring is listed. You can check as well.

Thanks for the Info. Bucks thumbsup.gif Made it home Ok. Couldn't find any o rings to match so i had to cut the disconnects and put in solid lines per your advise. I don't care if i have quick disconects as long as i can ride with no leaks smile.gif It will be interesting to see if my dealer will replace these under warranty.. I won't hold my breath since i had to do an emergency repair on my own.... I don't think dealer's like that! Would rather have had me tow it to there shop... Thanks again....Saved me a long walk home.... thumbsup.gif

bugsquawsher

Mine actually Broke off inside the other part.

I just stuck a piece of 3/8" pipe in there.

Works fine.

I have a new disconnect , but I'm in no hurry to put those cheap POS's back in there.

Archived