IGNORED

Motorcycle Tow Vehicle from Japan

Rob F.

I can see why a motorcycle might be handy for things like EMT service in a crowded city, but towing..? Why? The narrow profile of a motorcycle is of no advantage in that application, and all that complicated stuff hung off the back looks like it would cost much more than a tow package for standard truck. What's the point? :S

beemerman2k

Google this machine. The Discovery Channel did a spot on this bike that aired on television. You'll see how the idea came to be as well as the bike lane splitting to get to a broken down Volvo and tow it back to the shop. Quite impressive.

I can see why a motorcycle might be handy for things like EMT service in a crowded city, but towing..? Why? The narrow profile of a motorcycle is of no advantage in that application, and all that complicated stuff hung off the back looks like it would cost much more than a tow package for standard truck. What's the point? :S

They can lane split on the way to the site of the accident.

OK, I see, I guess the thing folds up so that it is narrower than when it is deployed, didn't notice that at first. But I'd hate to see that thing try to move my pickup... you'd soon need two tow vehicles... :grin:

Mine too. I warned the flatbed driver that when he winched mine onto the bed, the front end of his truck would fly up in the air. Sure enough!

If you are looking for a way to get to the stalled vehicle and move it this sure looks like an answer. After that the bike could hand it off to a real tow truck.

I can't see this bike towing a car up or down a steep hill or making short stops. They could use more lights front and rear. This thing probably needs to glow in the dark.

The video showed an enviable lane split space. Maybe folks were responding to the lone light on top of the bike, but I've never seen such a nice stretch of room to split before?

The tow trucks around here ride down the center or right median. Maybe in Japan there aren't many medians.

I suppose they must modify the brakes and perhaps the clutch. The goldwing has the engine for this no doubt.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I was also thinking bout a lower gear.

That'd be an easy adjustment with a new custom final drive. A new ratio there would lower all five (six?) gears into useful ranges for towing such massive payloads; forward speed at idle in first gear could be cut in half, and you'd then be able to start from a dead stop and tow very large vehicles (at low speeds), at least to a point where a more capable tow vehicle could take over.

I'd hate to see the result if the rider decided to ride to the left of his side of the road while towing---i.e. forgetting he has a 3000 lb auto hanging a half car's width over the center line. :eek:

How to improve the breed:

Add 600 pounds to the center of the bike to increase traction.

Make the tongue collapsible so the vehicle would have more maneuverability.

Additional lighting around the front wheel for a really cool look for towing at night.

Put a dry clutch in it.

Archived