IGNORED

Looking at custom seats, choices....

cali_beemer

cali_beemer

I am looking at custom seats and decided on a Russell day long. They are pretty well booked and expensive when you add the heavyweight suspension, so I started considering other less expesive alternatives. Spencer will no longer mid the 1200rt seats because of some pans that crack along the outer edge. So I was looking at Rick Mayer seats. They look nice and he is running some specials. I am a 320lb fat man and I have been told the russell spring system is the only way to go. Any opinions? How good is RickMayer? Or should I wait for a Russell? Every Russell seat I have tried is like a floating piece of seat bliss.

I am looking at custom seats and decided on a Russell day long. >MIDDLE TEXT DELETED AS IT WAS JUST FLUFF< Every Russell seat I have tried is like a floating piece of seat bliss.

I fixed what you wrote for you! :thumbsup:

I have a Rick Mayer seat and it is good, not excellent. I am a bit lighter than you @ 260 and if I had it to do over again, I would go for the Russell with the heavyweight suspension. If you have sat on a Day Long and like it, spend the bucks and wait for the delivery. I think if you compromise, you will not be happy.

Perhaps cost should be the last consideration in buying a seat for a bike and the last thing you should compromise on .... ...If your buns ain't happy, you ain't happy and you're not enjoying your ride as you should.......The cost will fade quickly from your memory if you find the seat that satisfies..... :thumbsup:

Just remembered......When we were at Russell last September having a seat made for Kathy's 1150RT they told us of a seat they had just made for a very big man and they do use different springs set-ups depending.......

cali

I totally agree with Redbrick. As he so eloquently says, "If your buns ain't happy, you ain't happy ..." You've already spent quite a few $$ on your motorcycle, spend a few more $$ and get a seat that fits you. You won't believe the joy and happiness you will experience! I've had the stock seats (of course) on my '05 R1200RT. After 100 miles, my wife and I sounded like opera singers. I bought a set of Sargent seats (from someone on this board) and they were a huge improvement in comfort. Colder weather in Wisconsin made heated seats more appealing. So, I bought a set of Corbins (also from someone on this board). They filled a need for me, too. I did a 700+ mile day and many other "long" rides on the Corbins. However, I still wanted even more comfort. I spent the $$ and ordered the Russell Day-Long seats. I could not believe how comfortable they are (no affiliation)! This is not to say that Sargent or Corbin seats were uncomfortable. Each was a big (for me) improvement over the stock seats. Everyone has different requirements for comfort. Since you live in California, I'd bet that there are riders nearby that would let you try their custom seats to help you make a decision.

Fightingpiper

I am a 300lb'er and got a Bill/Rocky Mayer and if had to do again would spend the money ona Russell. A foam seat made by anyone will not work well for men our size. That being said, I just did almost 1200 miles in 20 hours today on my mayer....Can be done but my posterior does hurt.

I just went through the custom seat investigation and decided to have Rocky build my seats as I am about half the OP's weight. But the conclusion I came to was that if I was a bigger guy- 200 lbs or more- I would wait until June to have a Russell built for me. I think you should book with Russell and have it done there.

cali_beemer

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. Thats pretty much the responses I expected. The russell is just a bit more money than I wanted to pay. However, you guys pushed me over the edge. I fianlly took the plunge and submited my order form. I am going to do all black vinyl with the rectangular stitch pattern and heavyweight suspension. I have been emailing Russell for a few days. I wanted to do a ride in appointment since I live only a few hours away from them. However for a friday ride in, the wait time is until August 21. Thats too long. assuming the production time hasnt changed since yesterday, the production date will be June 25th. I am pretty excited. I have always wanted to get a Russell day long seat but I have never had a bike I felt confident I would keep long enough to justify. However I am so much in love with my 1200RT, I just put a custom license plate on it and I have a top case coming for it as well. When I get a set of Ohlins it might finally be complete. Well, after the top box gets painted too. :)

I know you won't regret the extra $ once you get the seat. Take lots of good pictures and give them accurate measurements. :thumbsup:

You are going to be soooo... happy! Did you get the Russell backrest, too? I did not when I ordered my Russell, but sent my passenger seat back in to be fitted for their backrest. If there's a chance you may want to have a backrest, I'd highly recommend you have your passenger seat made to accept the Russell backrest. It can be installed or removed in about a second. Happy riding!

cali_beemer

I didnt order the backrest for several reasons. One is the cost. The price of this seat alone is stretching my budget further than I wanted as it is. Two is the seat looks horrible when the backrest is off the bike. Three is safety. I have spoken with many CHP officers and they will all tell you a backrest for the driver is extremely unsafe. Why? Becasue in the case you lay the bike down the first thing you want to do is detach yourself from the bike ASAP. Backrests help prevent the rider form becoming removed in a crash and cause alot more uneeded injuries. They have all seen accidents that were very ugly becasue a motorcycle backrest prevented the rider to be removed from the bike. Four is that on an RT I still have a sllight lean forward and wouldnt find much use for one. Five, my jacket has body armor for my vertebre and feels awkward and uncomfortable against a backrest and finally six, I have done an almost 900 mile day without and felt fine. I think the seat comfort plays a much bigger role in riding all day than the need for a backrest. However, to each their own. I know alot of people that love them. I guess I am just not one of them. My last LT had a backrest on it and I took it off after 1 week. I hated it.

cali_beemer
I know you won't regret the extra $ once you get the seat. Take lots of good pictures and give them accurate measurements. :thumbsup:

I already did. I pulled the tape measure out last night and I had my wife take pictures of me on the bike from several angles. I uploaded them on my order form last night. I figured it must be worth the money and wait for a Russell. I dont think I have ever come across an unhappy Russell customer yet. My first introduction to Russell was sitting on a used bike for sale with one on it. It felt completely different than any other set I had sat on, almost as if my rear in was lighter and sitting on a cloud. I asked what seat it was, and they told me it was a Russell day long. I have sat on several others since and loved them all so I feel this is a safe move. My St1300 had a sargent seat and that was pretty comfy but after 150 miles straight I was still ready for a stop. It was much better than a stock seat but still didnt do what I wanted. I had a really nice Bill Mayer seat on my 1100RT. I did almost 900 miles on that bike in one day and while I still needed to stop from time to time to relieve the rear end, I can say I was able to ride over 200 miles just fine on it without stopping. However, I think everyone on here is right that if I dont get what I want now, I will be very unhappy. I just hope the wait turns out to be rewarding.

I just got on the list for the Russell with leather inserts and drivers back rest. The wait now is the end of June. My date to have my core seat to then is June 30th. They say it will be a couple of weeks to get it back. That is the part that stinks - 3 weeks without a bike. I guess I will have to pull out the Vespa GTV250 to feel the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth.

roadshadowww

Without a doubt go with the Russell the 1st time. If you buy something else you'll just be spending money twice on 2 seats vs just getting the Russell to begin with.

I've owned pretty much all of the aftermarket seats out there and now when I get a new bike, it's pretty much automatic that I get a production date from Russell, as quick as I can.

My RT-P seat is there as I type this, being "Day-Longed".

Where are you, drose49? What do you ride? Perhaps someone can lend you a saddle for a few weeks.

cali_beemer
I just got on the list for the Russell with leather inserts and drivers back rest. The wait now is the end of June. My date to have my core seat to then is June 30th. They say it will be a couple of weeks to get it back. That is the part that stinks - 3 weeks without a bike. I guess I will have to pull out the Vespa GTV250 to feel the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth.

You must have ordered yours right after mine. I have a June 29th build date.

Archived