IGNORED

Solar Hot Water

KeyLime

I researched it for our usually sunny CO locale and the payback was impossible for a system that would really meet our needs. The technology just isn't there yet if economy is a factor. Many existing systems rely on a conventional heater for storage, beneath all the (expensive) solar collection and circulation infrastructure. Even with a hefty subsidy, it would take a long time to recover the 10x - 15x cost differential, and I'd still have been paying for energy for storing the heated water, or setting up an expensive PV system to power the heater.

I've always wondered about the cost of upkeep and repairs on a system. Are you up there on the roof every year recaulking? How about replacing the pvc piping exposed to the weather? As you say, the technology is not there yet.

If you have a basement or two story house with primary shower on the second floor try this payback is a lot faster than solar hot water. Actually if you have one of these you can get by with a much smaller solar hot water system. maybe 1/2 to 1/4 the size.

I have one of these in my basement but have yet to get it installed. I calculated a payback of the unit to be two years with an electric rate of $0.095/kwhr. And I am single.

Archived