IGNORED

tranny oil change (1150RT)

MikeKing

How do I drain the transmission oil. From the looks of the fill and drain holes, the oil would run down into where it shouldn't. Is there a special funnel you attach to catch the draining fluid?

Thx

Mike

San Francisco

Make a makeshift funnel out of a paper towel roll center. Or out of foil.

But no matter what you do you'll likely mess some. It's just part of the "dance."

I do 3 things. Take a little foil and make a liner/cover for the exhaust(to keep any spills off it). use a piece of cardboard to make a drain tube (like Ken said). Put a small block under the left leg of the center stand to make the bike lean a little bit.

Mike, I never cover anything & never make a mess.. First off just take an old milk jug or water jug & make a drain trough as shown in picture.. Then either park the bike on a slight incline or place a piece of ½” thick plywood under the off side center stand foot to tilt the bike slightly in the direction of the trans drain plug.. That way ALL trans oil drains out & it also makes sure everything runs away from the bike..

I have found the drain trough works better than a tube as you don’t have to run your wrench extension & socket up through the tube with the oil.. The trough allows straight on access to the drain plug so you can see what you are doing..

TransDrainPlastic.jpg

Twisty

a piece of vinyl siding about 2" wide and a foot long works well, too. Any plastic tube cut length wise.

Archived