IGNORED

Kisan head Light Modulator Problem

Stephen_Chase

Stephen_Chase

I have installed a Kisan Pathblazer head light modulator on my R1150RT high beam per instructions. The problem is the modulator does not work.

All connections seem to be secure and the light will flash 3 times to confirm its sensitivity setting.

The booklet is weak on troubleshooting and Kisan customer service does not reply to email.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Stephen

moshe_levy

Stephen-

Where do you have the photocell located? Where specifically does it point to?

-MKL

Stephen_Chase

The photocell is mounted through the dash next to the fuel level display. It gets lots of light, in daytime conditions.

Stephen

to test if it's the photo cell, at the connector where it connects to the modulator short those two pins.

wbrissette
to test if it's the photo cell, at the connector where it connects to the modulator short those two pins.

If it does turn out to be the photocell, you can do like the previous owner of my 2004 RT did, and I continued to do. That is, rip it out. Go down to your local electronics part store and get a switch. Then you control when to enable or not enable the headlight modulator.

Wayne

moshe_levy

Stephen-

If it's mounted on the dash, the photocell would be facing you, and that's not correct mounting. The photocell has to face directly up towards the sky per the instructions. See http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rtkisan.htm for pictures and mounting instructions I wrote up for my '04 RT. It's never going to work properly so long as the photocell does not point directly up towards the sky.

-MKL

You can test the photocell by shining a bright flashlight at it at close distance. If the headlight modulates, move the photocell to another location; if not, check the wiring.

If it does turn out to be the photocell, you can do like the previous owner of my 2004 RT did, and I continued to do. That is, rip it out. Go down to your local electronics part store and get a switch. Then you control when to enable or not enable the headlight modulator.

This mod would render the modulator illegal to use. I was stopped a year ago by police due to my "blinking" light. The officer never heard of a modulator being allowed on motorcycles, but I had the regulations printed out in my wallet. I showed him the regulations (one page) and he asked me to show him the photocel and to verify it would turn the "blinking" at night, I showed him the sensor, showed him that it would stop "blinking" with my hand covering the sensor. He said continue your trip. Just saying...

I think that the Modulator is working just fine as is. Kisan does do a good job of answering questions on the phone.

kiwiaudio

"This mod would render the modulator illegal to use. I was stopped a year ago by police due to my "blinking" light. The officer never heard of a modulator being allowed on motorcycles, but I had the regulations printed out in my wallet. I showed him the regulations (one page) and he asked me to show him the photocel and to verify it would turn the "blinking" at night, I showed him the sensor, showed him that it would stop "blinking" with my hand covering the sensor. He said continue your trip. Just saying...

"

Hey Chris, any idea where I can get a copy of those regulations. Having said that, i'm off to dig out the manual if I can find it - maybe its in there.

I fully expect to be stopped by an uninformed officer one day and would love to have something to show him. My Pathblazer is a necessity, not a luxury, in my book. It would take a blind man to not see me coming up behind you. Added advantage - people pull over out of your way thinking something bad is coming, but it's just little old me !!

first response/reply...be kind...on my 2004 R1150RT i used the hole on the backside of the left hand grip to thread the sensor. Takes a couple of raps of "adjustment" tape (either electrical or rescue tape) and it settles right in. I then used the clutch cable to tape the sensor wire. Impossible to find, and points straight up.

kiwiaudio

I think you may be talking about the threaded hole for a rear vision mirror & thats a great idea !!

wbrissette

This mod would render the modulator illegal to use.

Never been an issue for me. Yes, the regulation does state that it has to have a photosensor, but that being said, as long as you can show it turns off, I doubt a judge in their right mind would honor the citation.

Wayne

quote]Yes, the regulation does state that it has to have a photosensor, but that being said, as long as you can show it turns off, I doubt a judge in their right mind would honor the citation. Wayne

Good one "judge in their right mind"

I printed off a copy of the FMVSS standard and carry it with my registration--just in case there's ever a question with the law.

Archived