IGNORED

Which Battery Tender for AGM?

David

If I wanted to ditch the special super dooper BMW battery charger for my 12GS, can I use the Deltran Battery Tender Plus? I have a new one that I bought for the mower in the winter.

My 12GS came with an AGM battery, which I replaced with a Westco SVR14 battery, also AGM (by the way, it swaps out perfectly).

Maybe I'm just blind, but I see nothing about AGM on Deltran's site.

You can e-mail Deltran, but I don't think that they make one that fits BMW,s charging requirements for their ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT Exide battery. They probably have one that works on the Westco, or e-mail Westco. Typical BMW, buy some more Vaseline. What year GS? Does it have that new "canbus" wiring system?

Bruce C cool.gif

David,

Are you going to go directly to the battery and forget about all the mickey-mouse "keep-alive" stuff of the accessory socket?

Presuming yes, I have had great results with my Battery Tender Plus and the AGM batteries I have had in various bikes.

Are you going to go directly to the battery and forget about all the mickey-mouse "keep-alive" stuff of the accessory socket?

Yep. Tired of this crap.

Presuming yes, I have had great results with my Battery Tender Plus and the AGM batteries I have had in various bikes.

Thanks! That's what I already have, so I'll just go with that. cool.gif

Yep. Tired of this crap.

Didn't someone with an early bike solve charger problems with a software upgrade to the ZFE?

Perhaps you need to enable "automatic upgrades" from your R1200GS setup menu?grin.gif

Didn't someone with an early bike solve charger problems with a software upgrade to the ZFE?

I hadn't heard about that, but that would be nice news. Anybody else have a link or something?

Perhaps you need to enable "automatic upgrades" from your R1200GS setup menu?grin.gif

tongue.gif

David, back when we were researching if that charger works, there was a thread I linked to on AdvRider about someone who had the SW update.

As far as the charger...I'd just use the BT+ and not loose any sleep over it. What crap have you been dealing with?

My logic? The battery in the 12GS is also used in a bunch of honda bikes. Valk's, some older GLs...It's the same technology that's in dozens and dozens of other bikes and powersports toys. This is Deltran's target market.

Archived