IGNORED

Low fuel

UKTN

I have a 1994 R1100RS and wonder if the low fuel light and the gas gage are electrically connected. I am down to two bars on the gage but the low fuel light has not come on yet. Which one should I go by the gage or the light?

I'd bet that no two bikes are the same in this regard. Take an extra gallon container with you and ride her till she is dry, noting the mileage at guage position and warning light flash.

I do this with every vehicle I own, just so I learn the guage.

Dont forget to redo this if you are ever inside the tank for maintenance as it is very hard to not move the float arm.

i think you may find the light only comes on when you show no bars.

No, my light will come on with 2 bars, sometimes with one bar, and other times (just) no bars. but normally it kicks in during the 1 bar time.

Also from experience with MY bike (yours may be calibrated differently), I allow myself a amximum of 25 miles from the point which the last bar dissapears.(At that point, I really do put 25 litres into the tank).

So I am guessing that the bars and light are different sensors - Hey tech guys, am I right?

Andy

Mine comes on pretty much as Andy describes his above, including the 25 mile shtick. It's never gone to zero bars.

Also, for some reason, my top bar on the gauge has started working again. For the past 2-3 years the top bar wouldn't light after fill-up. The last few months I get all bars. Go figure.?

No matter what, a wise rider would be looking for fuel at about 180-200 miles on these machines..Note to self: Always use/reset the trip meter when fueling..RID / Light could malfunction leaving one pushing / waving down passerby's .. ;)

So I am guessing that the bars and light are different sensors - Hey tech guys, am I right?

Andy

Yes, the low-fuel light is driven by the float on the fuel-pump plate, the RID by a float in the tube fitted at the front-right of the tank, inserted from the top.

Andy

Andy

Yes, the low-fuel light is driven by the float on the fuel-pump plate, the RID by a float in the tube fitted at the front-right of the tank, inserted from the top.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Andy

No matter what, a wise rider would be looking for fuel at about 180-200 miles on these machines..Note to self: Always use/reset the trip meter when fueling..RID / Light could malfunction leaving one pushing / waving down passerby's .. ;)

Ditto that. I can usually make it to 250, but filling at 200 is safe. I recently replaced my fuel sender tube which was crushed prior to a canisterectomy. The low fuel light always worked fine and now the RID fuel indicator works as well. nice to have things working as they should. :grin:

+1

On my RT I aim for 240 miles max and on my R 160 max.

Only ever ran the RT down to the low fuel light once and that was on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere MO with Deb on the back! Never again. Miraculously, I found a small gas station and filled up with 6.3 gallons! :eek:

Also, it's not good for the fuel pump to run "hot" and the R lets me know when it's getting low with a very noisy fuel pump!

... a wise rider would be looking for fuel at about 180-200 miles on these machines..

On what machines?

I generally wouldn't consider looking for fuel until at least 230 - 240 miles unless I was doing a long haul in unfamiliar territory.

Riding generally day to day, I know where the nearest Fuel stations are, and what range I have remaining and ride accordingly. Of course you guys that side of the pond may be much more used to those 'wide open spaces', (with thanks to the Dixie Chicks!), so Skygzr's advice may be more valid, but here in deepest Somerset, fuel is only normally 15 miles away.

Andy

but here in deepest Somerset, fuel is only normally 15 miles away.

Andy

Sheesh, Out here in the wilds of Southern California There are places where you can ride over 100 miles and not see a gas station.

Of course there are also places where you can see one every 100 yards. The trick is knowing what's over the next rise. :S

On what machines?

I generally wouldn't consider looking for fuel until at least 230 - 240 miles unless I was doing a long haul in unfamiliar territory.

Skygzr's advice may be more valid, but here in deepest Somerset, fuel is only normally 15 miles away.

Andy

On the R series machines. The K Bike..i'm looking for fuel around 150-165 miles..no RID/Gauge on that machine, only a light..and I know for a fact, the tank holds 5.8 gallons dry, usable, probably about 5.5. I've put in 5.4 or so and that was pushing 180 miles on that machine.

A wise rider will ALWAYS keep the tank no less than 2/3rds "empty"..(preferably no less than 1/2)..just in case there may be "disco lights" that might have to be dealt with, if so inclined...

:/ ..not to mention not having to be concerned with having to deal with ..oop's..i'm a dumb ass for running out of fuel.. :dopeslap:

Archived