IGNORED

My first attempt at mods on the RT-P

DaveTX

Note: Many of you have probably done all this stuff eons ago, but this post is about my first work on the 1999 R1100 RT-P that I have had for a couple of weeks now.

Ordered stuff over a week ago, today the last UPS box arrived from Sierra BMW. I spent the afternoon tinkering, by dark all work was completed.

New BMR 'farkel' shelf above the dash with Zumo 550 mounted in a touratech security mount. Right now I have the power for the Zumo coming from the left dash electrical plug, I'll change it over to something a little more permenant the first time I have occassion to remove the outer fairing shell:

005-1.jpg

I really like the Zumo mounted center and high, I don't really have to take my eyes off the road to see it. On my Harley Ulta, the Zumo mount is over on the right handlabar and requires me to take my eyes off the road to see it or use the controls.

The picture below was taken while seated on the RT-P. I look over the windshield, so the Zumo is plenty low enough not to block any forward vision:

004-4.jpg

The touratech security mount looks like something from Fort Knox or the space station, but it does lock the Zumo 550 to a rock solid mount equipped with a key lock. The Zumo cradle goes on the front of the touratech, then it is all mounted to a BMR adjustable GPS mount (adjustable back and forwards) on the dash shelf.

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=010_CPR1100RT&cat=4

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=046_AMPSBracketAdjust&cat=4

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=065-0151&-session=touratech:4B6E7D740a47d3426FMxJ426D190

006-2.jpg

New lids mounted for the city system cases. The old ones were warped and did not seal at the back when closed. While I had the bags apart and on my work bench, I added tie down loops on the top of the bags for securing bungee cords, helmet net, etc.

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

I also ordered a headlight cover and a small velcro bag that goes between the handlebars to make 'need to have' items readily accessible, but they are on backorder until the end of this week.

As soon as it quits raining, I'm ready to blast off..... :thumbsup:

My next project will be to wire in a set of PIAA driving lights, a HID headlight upgrade, and hardwire the Zumo mount's power. Since I'm going to have to take the outer fairing shell off, I thought I would wait and do all that at the same time. Still trying to decide which driving lights I want, I'll mount them on the 'tabs' mid way up each of the front police crash bars.

I am LOVING this BMW !!! :grin:

Allen Rowand

Nice! I have to do some clean-up to my cases, since it looks like someone just snapped the dividers out. I got a set of Kathy's City Liners, and am waiting on my RKA 11 liter tank bag.

Did you retrofit the hazard switch? That's on my list, as well as the same light upgrades you're looking at. Quick question- is your battery/glovebox sealed to the door? There's a few inches between the door and the top of the box on mine. I don't know if the civilian box would seal differently.

Keep up the good work!

Best,

Allen

Allen,

If you're talking about the second battery compartment on the left side of the gas tank, my 1999 RT-P no longer has the second battery so that entire compartment is a good size glove box for me now.

005-1.jpg

I really like the Zumo mounted center and high, I don't really have to take my eyes off the road to see it. On my Harley Ulta, the Zumo mount is over on the right handlabar and requires me to take my eyes off the road to see it or use the controls.

Wow!....That Zumo would screw with my head. It's consuming valuable view of the road for nadgery riding. I would feel a whole lot safer with it lower down.

Andy

005-1.jpg

Wow!....That Zumo would screw with my head. It's consuming valuable view of the road for nadgery riding. I would feel a whole lot safer with it lower down.

Andy

Andy, I guess it's a lot like a rear view mirror mounted on the inside windshield of a car.... after a while, you don't even know it's there unless you look right at it. The Zumo does not seem to interfere with my forward vision at all. While it does look high on the shelf, it is actually well below my line of sight.

Now.... even though I lived in England for several years and I am 1/2 English (Dad was a B-17 pilot and married Mom there right after WWII), I just have to ask.... what exactly is "nadgery riding" ?? :S

005-1.jpg

Andy

Andy, I guess it's a lot like a rear view mirror mounted on the inside windshield of a car.... after a while, you don't even know it's there unless you look right at it. The Zumo does not seem to interfere with my forward vision at all. While it does look high on the shelf, it is actually well below my line of sight.

Now.... even though I lived in England for several years and I am 1/2 English (Dad was a B-17 pilot and married Mom there right after WWII), I just have to ask.... what exactly is "nadgery riding" ?? :S

I have lived in England all my life and I dont know either :dopeslap:

I have my Zumo mounted on my 1100RT in the same location and I think it works great. It doesn't interfere with my line of sight at all. Not supposed to be looking at the front tire in the twisties anyways! :Cool:

Nadgery [nad-jer-ee]

a/. A tight intricate set of bends with unreliable / unpredictable road surface.

b/. Nadgery riding. The act of riding on surfaces typified in para a/. often where the ‘vanishing point’ is only a few metres from the front wheel.

Andy

A term often used in the green laning comunity.

Thanks for the explanation, Andy !

First time I have ever heard the term.

AND...... I have never heard of "green laning" either :S

But then again, I am a noob in the BMW community. :dopeslap:

AND...... I have never heard of "green laning" either :S

Think of dirt-tracks with grass and hedges.

Andy

Andy,

With the GPS you don't need to be able to see the road.

Just keep the icon cursor on the colored line and you're fine.

Andy,

With the GPS you don't need to be able to see the road.

Just keep the icon cursor on the colored line and you're fine.

:rofl::rofl:

Andy

Archived