IGNORED

Ohlins

Koop

I'm going to bite the bullet and order Ohlins shocks in the morning - BM503 (front) and BM504 (rear) for my '08 R1200RT.

If anyone has input re: why I should/should not do this, please tell me now. I think my mind is pretty much made up already. In my experience, most bikes benefit from suspension upgrades more than anything else. We always want an exhaust system, a chip or flash...but horsepower isn't really an issue in most cases, handling improvements make all the difference!

That all depends... Do you have ESA on the bike? Are the stock shocks warn out? The RT already has terrific handling and is very flickable... Have you ridden an RT that has the Olins installed already??? I would before I dropped that money.

Hay Mike,Call Ted at Ted Porters Beemer Shop,He sells Ohlins and Wilber shocks,The Guy has been doing this stuff for ever,Great guy to talk to about shocks,,My self,I think I well go with Wilber Shocks,His web site is www.beemershop.com,,Hope this helps,,Tim

I've had OEM shocks with ESA and Ohlins. No comparison at speed. The Ohlins are farrrrrrrrrr superior. At moderate speeds, you don't need them.

Hey Tim, thanks for the response. Are you going to the BBQ in Strawberry?

johnlt - I don't have ESA. I probably spend more of my riding time above moderate speeds than below, so a suspension upgrade works for me. Thanks for the reply.

Also, I got Ohlins for my Ducati from Dan Kyle. He provided a good set up at a reasonable price. He quoted a nice price for Ohlins for the RT as well.

Hey Tim, thanks for the response. Are you going to the BBQ in Strawberry?

Yes i think so,,We well ride up in the AM and have b/fast at the Rim Grill,,Then over to Chets,,I well PM you when I get more details,,,It would be good to see ya,There should be a lot of bikes up there with after market shocks,,You can see what they think about them,,Tim

I am on my third R12RT (two with ESA,one without)I have done a few miles on each of them on the orginal BMW shocks .. so I do feel quilified to comment

Without any doubt the Ohlins ... that I have moved from bike to bike, transform the ride and handling and my pillon also agrees

I am always amused by those who comment and "think" that they know the best recommendation but have no experience !!! .... unless you have riden with them all ... HOW can you know ??

Go for the Ohlins and enjoy ... then when you trade the bike and assuming the Ohlins can not be transfered, take them off the bike and replace the OEM BMW shocks and sell the Ohlins on e bay ... makes the cost of Ohlins ownership very low

Fortunately, the previous owner didn't take your advice, and Ohlins came with my 1999 RT. I'm guessing mine have around 40,000 miles on them, but the original owner didn't record the mileage when installed.

I have made minor changes to preload and rebound adjustments, but there are plenty of rebound clicks left before getting to max. I've noticed a small amount of grime buildup around the philips screw in the middle of the remote reservoir on the rear shock, but there are no obvious leaks front or rear.

I realize the answer to this question is largely "it depends," but what is typical mileage before a rebuild is necessary, and how do you tell if a rebuild is needed (other than obvious things like an oil leak or running out of adjustment clicks)?

You won't be sorry moving to Ohlins. I converted my bike to Ohlins a year ago and have not had one regret. The suspension works better everywhere - handling, comfort compliance etc. Of all the money I have spent on aftermarket suspension this is by far the best bang for the buck (with my Rick Mayer saddle a close second).

I installed Ohlins on my old 00RT, and when I traded up to a used 06RT with ESA, I pulled the ESA plugs and installed Ohlins. BMW stock shocks stink, and ESA can't cover up their mediocrity. There's simply no comparison to Ohlins or other top aftermarket shocks. Night and day handling and ride improvement at any speed on any surface with any load. And that's what really good suspension is all about.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I installed Ohlins on my Ducati and I've been real happy with the performance. I ordered the shocks for the RT from Dan Kyle this morning.

My Ohlins had done 60,000 miles (on my two prevous R12RT's)and I have just had them transfered to my new RT but I rang the local Ohlins people before they were refitted and he suggested that they should be serviced every 50,000 miles

I had this done (cost USD$150)and although I can not tell any difference (before and after servicing) my confidence in the units has been renewed, so I perceive value for money spent

Basicly there is no need to change suspension if you never touch suspension adjustments (like most Japanese-riders) but if you change settings by road type/speed/loading - order a set.

Is it Öhlins/Wilber/WP its up to you, those are all top products.

It is worth to spend time testing different adjustment front and rear to learn how to get the best of it in different conditions.

I love my Öhlins suspension!

Basicly there is no need to change suspension if you never touch suspension adjustments (like most Japanese-riders) but if you change settings by road type/speed/loading - order a set.

Is it Öhlins/Wilber/WP its up to you, those are all top products.

It is worth to spend time testing different adjustment front and rear to learn how to get the best of it in different conditions.

I love my Öhlins suspension!

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a pretty good understanding of suspension set-up, I'm the crew chief for a CCS race team. I do all the bike set up. www.G2MotoRacing.com

Archived