IGNORED

Jumping out of gear

Russ - deeppurple52

Russ - deeppurple52

Our 11RT occasionally jumps out of first gear. I have not been able to get it to do so but my wife indicates that it has happened several times during past week or so. Any ideas.

themagicone

This happens to me all the time, it will pop out of 1st in Neutral or I'll be in 2 and jumps to neutral. I take it as the bands are getting weak and I didn't get a full selection before going.

This happens to me all the time, it will pop out of 1st in Neutral or I'll be in 2 and jumps to neutral. I take it as the bands are getting weak and I didn't get a full selection before going.

Thermaglcone

It's all about gears going in and out of sync there are no bands.And like Russ smiller needs more info. Is it going into neutral and staying there (my Concourse does this when I get lazy) or does it just seem to skip a bit?

Al

Russ, is she getting it all the way into 1st gear? If she is getting a bit lazy on the shifter maybe it is not fully engaging.. The throw is longer from 2nd to 1st as it has to go through neutral..

I presume she rides in 1st gear more than you do..

It’s possible you do have a trans problem coming on or maybe some other issue..

Probably the place to start looking is to make sure the shift lever coming out of the rear of trans is not loose (there is a socket headed cap screw holding it on).. If that is loose it can sap some of the foot shift movement before it gets into the trans & moves the shift drum..

Maybe look to make sure the foot shift lever is free moving & not sticking on it’s pivot..

Otherwise as others have noted above we need more info on (how)-(when)-(under what conditions)- coast/accel)-(etc),, the problem is occurring..

1100transfootlever.jpg

Twisty

I don't want to hijack this, but is the length of the linkage between the shift lever and the foot lever adjustable? I have already moved the foot lever pivot bolt to the lower position in order to raise the front, but it's still a little low for boots with a big toe box. I also understand that the slot in the side plate limits the total amount of adjustment that is possible.

Selden, yes within reason..

The slot will be the limiter on total travel in the direction you want to adjust.. There is a nut on the linkage (shown in picture) that will have to be loosened,, then pull the clip from one end ball socket & pull the ball socket off the ball,, that will allow the link to be shortened or lengthened..

Twisty

What year is your 1100rt? Does it feel like it's popping out and back into gear, or a 'skip in power' feeling as smiller mentioned?

Russ - deeppurple52

1996 R1100RT. It pops out of first into neutral. It otherwise feels very solid. It is a later model '97 so it an M97 trans. I will go thru the linkage tonight and report back. Thanks for the help.

You might be surprised as to vintage of the transmission. Some late '97's had M94's. Next time you have the left side cover off check the serial #. M97's have a serial # that has an 'E' in it. For example xxxxxxxEAE. The serial # is stamped vertically, kind of behind the throttle body

Russ - deeppurple52

Problem solved. The pivot bolt was loose. Well, loose does not fully describe the situation. It was, for all practical purposes, disconnected. A few turns on the allen and it was good as new. Thanks to all for the assistance.

BTW the serial number is an EA.... so I assume it is an M97 box.

Archived