IGNORED

Lane Splitting in SoCal.

GordonB

So I'm commuting to work this morning enjoying the ride and all lanes begin to slow, including the carpool lane. I decide to split lanes and am making progress quite comfortably and smoothly. I see a bike come up behind me.

Next thing I notice the guy's on my tail, blipping the throttle constantly, I have no where to pull over (traffic is tight).

At the first chance I get I pull into a lane and wave him on (I'm worried about getting rear ended at this point).

He throttles it splitting lanes just at the same time the carpool lane opens up for entry/exit.

Well you guessed it one car exited, one car entered, guess who was where he shouldn't have been?

He's okay, but it ceases to amaze me some riders....Stay clear as I did.

He's okay, but it ceases to amaze me some riders....Stay clear as I did.

I agree with you 100%! You are very fortunate that you were not injured because of this other rider. Good judgment in letting him by when you did. I bet someone was looking out for you!

I have a pretty stable comfort zone while lane splitting and that involves riding about 15 mph faster than the surrounding traffic. That seems to have kept me safe for 20 years of lane splitting without mishap*. This gives me sufficient time to apply brakes, throttle or whatever is necessary to avoid a collision.

I have pulled over to let faster splitters overtake me but for some reason they choose not to do so when I am on the Harley.

* I have hit mirrors twice, both resulted in no damage.

Paul Mihalka

"I have pulled over to let faster splitters overtake me but for some reason they choose not to do so when I am on the Harley." :rofl::rofl:

Don't let the bikes behind you put you in an unsafe position. If someone comes up who is faster than you are, wait until you are in a safe position to let them by, and don't worry if it takes a while.

I generally don't overtake motor cops, and I'll give them the right of way even if they are going slower than I am (even if they don't care, it still opens up a nice big corridor for me.) The one exception was a City of Folsom cop on a Harley a few weeks ago, who was very obviously uncomfortable with splitting in the crowded I-80 traffic. I ended up going by and opening up a corridor for HIM, and he was even appreciative!

I generally don't overtake motor cops, and I'll give them the right of way even if they are going slower than I am (even if they don't care, it still opens up a nice big corridor for me.)

:thumbsup: It's a bonus for me to see a motor in front of me splitting lanes going to downtown LA, traffic is usually very slow or stopped, but they still normally open a path for the motor, and it saves me a lot of time!

I don't live in a big city and don't have any opportunity to practice lane splitting techniques. I was once in LA and wish I had the courage to do it.

If you do get a chance to practice it (up in Redding maybe?) you should. It was hard for me too, as the "sticks" where I grew up and lived my whole life became urbanized.

I always relied on keeping a buffer of space around me, but as things got crowded, and I read the Harry Hurt report, and had been rear-end in my cage numerous times, I had to force myself to split. (Or die!)

Besides carefully reading the traffic ahead, you have to check your mirrors for the above mentioned squid, and try to get out of their way.

Thanks Andy, I'll try it the next time I'm in Redding. Back in November I was in LA in bumb\per to bumper traffic up I-10, to I-5, and all the way up the grapevine. It took forever. My left wrist was going to fall off.

I don't live in a big city and don't have any opportunity to practice lane splitting techniques. I was once in LA and wish I had the courage to do it.

I know what you mean. I rode, two-up, to LA in the summer of 2007. On the way into town the traffic got quite heavy (and slow) on the freeway. I saw some other riders lane splitting and did think about it, but having never done it before, I decided I'd play it safe. Yeah, I was chicken too :rofl:. Now if traffic had been at a dead stop for a while, I might have given it some more thought.

I know what you mean. I rode, two-up, to LA in the summer of 2007. On the way into town the traffic got quite heavy (and slow) on the freeway. I saw some other riders lane splitting and did think about it, but having never done it before, I decided I'd play it safe. Yeah, I was chicken too :rofl:. Now if traffic had been at a dead stop for a while, I might have given it some more thought.

Hey better chicken and alive then brave and who knows what for sure :thumbsup:

I split lanes virtually any time I am on the bike in SoCal. I have tens of thousands of miles splitting lanes in the past few years, at least. It sounds like you did the right thing and waited until you could safely let him by.

While I admit that it was rude of him to be blipping his throttle and not observing when you could safely let him by, it is also very frustrating when a very slow lane splitter holds up everyone else, esp during heavy rush hour traffic when we are all trying to get somewhere.

On the 91 freeway eastbound in the evenings, I have often come up on a group of 3-4 bikes stacked between the carpool and #2 lanes because someone either refuses to let everyone by or is too scared/intimidated to look away from his front bumper to check his mirrors.

Many times, after secveral miles of this, I dodge out of the carpool lane into main lines and split the #2 and #3 lanes to get around the rolling roadblock. Occasionally I get a dirty look from the slow rider in front of the pack as if to say that he knows what speed to split better than I do. Arrrgh!

That being said, I too always give motor officers the lead. Often when it's *really* tight (like the 405N though west LA) the motor will bip hit lights and siren to get traffic to open up. I just get to safely ride in his wake.

JT

Anyone going slower than us is an asshole, and anyone faster is a squid.

:)

Credit to the late Mr. Carlin.

I lane share pretty much every day and one day as I am coming into Corona on the 91 this older person saw me coming and decided to pinch me down and keep me from passing him. I then decided to have some fun with the individual, I kept sliding up to his rear corner and then would drop back a little (keeping one eye on my mirror)

I saw just what I was waiting for a CHP motor unit. :clap:

I let the motor observe this for a minute and then changed places with him. The driver did not see the change take place and as the motor went to pass the cage he pinched the motor unit down and over the double yellow line. Mr. Motor then slid back and used the extra switch that his RT has and pulled the cage over and pencil whipped him.

Two days later I see the same car and what do you know he sees me and gives me a wide berth. :grin:

Dave

There is no lane splitting anywhere around where I live. To be honest, I wish it was legal everywhere. Since it is not, I would be very concerned if I was so comfortable with lane splitting. There are many folks in cars and trucks, like me, that are not expecting someone lane splitting. These folks travel to SoCal too. Be careful.

Well when you have been doing it all of your riding life you get a feel for it that can not be described. I know what the cager is going to do before he does. You always have to have your guard up and do not ever daydream while riding. You must stay focused on the task at hand. Besides it is the only way to stay sane in the SoCal traffic.

Dave

There is no lane splitting anywhere around where I live. To be honest, I wish it was legal everywhere. Since it is not, I would be very concerned if I was so comfortable with lane splitting. There are many folks in cars and trucks, like me, that are not expecting someone lane splitting. These folks travel to SoCal too. Be careful.

And to out of state drivers (in CA) please, be careful.

Lane Shareing is never comfortable. It's a skill that needs to be sharp as a razor. ALWAYS! There are days I say "not today" and there are times I say "not now".

Not everyone who rides a motorcycle should lane share in CA.

Too bad it isn't legal everywhere. I would make an educated guess that routine lane splitting will make you a better rider. All your senses, judgement skills, decision making skills, precision riding, lane control, clutch throttle control, brake covering, prediction and anticipation of vehicle movements, situational awareness, watching mirrors for head and eye movements (both yours and theirs) and peripheral vision all come into play during lane splitting.

I come away from extended (1/2 hr or more) lane splitting completely exhausted...you learn way more than if you rode 300 miles on US 50 between Ely and Fallon, Nevada.

I think of lane splitting as mental health therapy, it keeps me sharp and alert. If you don't use it, you lose it.

"I come away from extended (1/2 hr or more) lane splitting completely exhausted"

:thumbsup: No time to relax while spliting and you can be extremely tired, both mentally and physically if you do it for very long. I also like to have a LEO leading the way and will aways offer to let them by. :grin:

Too bad it isn't legal everywhere. I would make an educated guess that routine lane splitting will make you a better rider. All your senses, judgement skills, decision making skills, precision riding, lane control, clutch throttle control, brake covering, prediction and anticipation of vehicle movements, situational awareness, watching mirrors for head and eye movements (both yours and theirs) and peripheral vision all come into play during lane splitting.

I come away from extended (1/2 hr or more) lane splitting completely exhausted...you learn way more than if you rode 300 miles on US 50 between Ely and Fallon, Nevada.

I think of lane splitting as mental health therapy, it keeps me sharp and alert. If you don't use it, you lose it.

+1 and it's much safer to boot. Riding in stop and go is very dangerous, your life depends on some bone head (to which there are many) to be paying attention.

While lane sharing you have more control over the situation, but it is mentally demanding.

MotorinLA
IMany times, after secveral miles of this, I dodge out of the carpool lane into main lines and split the #2 and #3 lanes to get around the rolling roadblock. Occasionally I get a dirty look from the slow rider in front of the pack as if to say that he knows what speed to split better than I do. Arrrgh!

JT

Exactly! Why tailgate when you can pass in another lane? Just make sure to look out for the "helpful motorist" who decides to move over to the right to let the motorcycles on his left go by, without accounting for the faster splitting motorcycle on the right...

If I sit behind another bike or LEO for any length of time, I usually just move over a lane (or two) to the right and keep splitting past them.

More efficient and less aggravating.

beemerman2k
I lane share pretty much every day and one day as I am coming into Corona on the 91 this older person saw me coming and decided to pinch me down and keep me from passing him. I then decided to have some fun with the individual, I kept sliding up to his rear corner and then would drop back a little (keeping one eye on my mirror)

I saw just what I was waiting for a CHP motor unit. :clap:

I let the motor observe this for a minute and then changed places with him. The driver did not see the change take place and as the motor went to pass the cage he pinched the motor unit down and over the double yellow line. Mr. Motor then slid back and used the extra switch that his RT has and pulled the cage over and pencil whipped him.

Two days later I see the same car and what do you know he sees me and gives me a wide berth. :grin:

Dave

Now that's a great story! It ought to be a fairy tale for little kids to learn about just before bed time. "So don't worry kids, every dog has his day!" :thumbsup:

Rude riders aren't in control in more ways than one.

To me, lane splitting calls for one to have a healthy ego and yet know how to control that ego. It's that tightrope dance that makes it so darn exhilerating. I wish lane sharing was accepted practice everywhere.

If we only required more of our riders and drivers this country would be a whole lot more fun to traverse.

I just spent five days driving around the Boston/Lowell MA area and up there they lane split/share with their CARS. Believe it or not it is quite orderly and respectfull.

It used to be a practice of mine. Now much less frequent.

One trend that is a bit scary is when localities try to squeeze another lane in the existing real estate. I have seen 5 lanes where there was once 4 and no increase in total HW width. And a couple of other squeezes. The cages stil take up as much room, so we get less.

Ride safe my 2 wheel brothers.

Archived