IGNORED

Non-Zumo Garmin Alternative?

OldBoldPilot

OldBoldPilot

I had a Zumo 550 since 8/07, and recently it started freezing up during rides. Rather than going through the whole repair rigamarole, I took advantage of Costco's liberal return policy and simply returned it to my local store for a full refund of the original purchase price plus shipping costs ($736).

My first impulse was to buy a Zumo 660. However, I had to ask myself, "Self, in these tough economic times, do you really need to hang $700+ off your handlebar in order to get from point A to point B?"

Looking at the Nuvi line, I see that there are many models that will do most of what the Zumo will do for about half the price. The only important thing they don't have is the waterproof aspect -- but I don't mind slipping the GPS into my pocket if it rains -- which is rare where i ride anyway.

So, is anyone here using a non-Zumo Garmin Nuvi? If so, any problem finding a mount for it? And how do you power it from the bike?

BTW, my local Best buy has the TomTom Rider 2 on clearance for $321 plus tax. Anyone have anything positive to say about that model?

Garmin 2720 refurb. $108 at Amazon. Motorcycle-friendly and water-resistant. It's just as good as it was two years ago, when it cost $700. The only negative is that it lacks battery backup, so it has to be plugged in somewhere.

In two or three years, pitch the 2720 and pick up a refurb Zumo for $100. I've said it here before: Buy "Obsolete" and Buy Cheap, so you can Buy More Often!

From one pilot to another...+1 on the 2720/I have 4 of them. Last 2 cost $110 as mentioned above.

Checkout the Nuvi 550. It's waterproof and 'motorcycle friendly' whatever that means. Search for a recent thread I started on it vs. the Zumo.

OldBoldPilot

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. As for the 2820, I had one of those before the Zumo. It was great for its time, but I'm looking for a wide screen if possible and some of the features that make driving easier, like lane selection and so forth. The more I look, the more likely it seems that I will indeed end up spending my Zumo 550 refund $$$ on a Zumo 660, which seems to have everything I'm looking for.

Haven't you heard "The only cheap thing in an airplane is the pilot"? or "The only cheap thing on a BMW is the rider"?

How can you expect to live up to a reputation like that, buying the latest fancy stuff???? :grin:

Garmin 2720 refurb. $108

Thanks for the reminder. I just now ordered one.

I had a 2730 that I really liked. Until I stowed it under the driver's seat of a rental car -- I then pushed a button on the rental car seat to discover that it lowered the seat. Crunch!

I can tell you now that the touchscreen doesn't work any more after you crush it with a power seat on a rental car. :dopeslap:

So now I'll get the cheap 2720 to replace it. I already got a cheap Nuvi for the car, and it's much nicer actually than the 2730 for that purpose. So now I'll have a cheap waterproof 2720 on the RT and a cheap Nuvi that works great in the car.

OldBoldPilot

After a lot of research and reading, I went with the Nuvi 765T ($419 @ Amazon). Very advanced functions including lane guidance and lifetime free traffic; can be hardwired to the bike easily; needs cover when it rains, but I can buy a lot of baggies for the approximately $250 difference between this and the Zumo 660.

I tried a 700 series Nuvi on my bike last year.....had all the bells and whistles. I new it was not waterproof, but thought I could deal with it. I used it for 1 month and returned it. Biggest issue was the washed out screen in the sun. The earplug connector broke and after looking at the unit, the are not as ruggedly made as the Zumo's.

I ended up with a Zumo 550. I like XM radio, so the 660 is not even a temptation for me, though I like the wider screen.

Good luck with your choice...but use it for a few days in bright light, and see if it works for you.

One more thought on your "old" Zumo....have you done a HARD reset? Might cure your problems. The HARD is different than a soft reset...so don't confuse the two.

Does the 27xx use the NT or older Mapsource Software?

I currently have a 2610, 28xx (BMW Nav III), and an original quest. So I have 3 versions of MapSource on my PC.

I like the 3D display and the "text to speech" of the 28xx. Does the 27xx have that also?

Where you bought your 27xx for $108, did it come with the Mapsource software, and if so what version?

Thanks.

"..Amazon has it. ."

Wow, that was fast! From my research in the last 10 minutes looks like the 2720 has the same firmware and software as the 28xx Nav III. Which is good. It doesn't have the Blue Tooth which I don't need. I'd like to stop using my 2610 just because its operation is quite different from the Nav III, and I'm tired of having to use specific Mapsource software versions with specific Garmin GPS units. So I think I'll get a 2720, and the 2610 can go to my daughter. :grin:

Deek, I'm a bit confused by your question in that Mapsource can be downloaded free from Garmin's website. It's the map data (like City Navigator etc.) that you have to buy. Some Garmin GPSs come with maps pre-loaded, so you'd only have to pay for map data when you want to update the maps. Other Garmin GPSs, like the 276/376/478C series of chartplotters have only a basemap per-loaded and most opt to buy detailed maps to load on their PC (to use with the free Mapsource) and to load onto their GPSs.

OldBoldPilot
I tried a 700 series Nuvi on my bike last year.....had all the bells and whistles. I new it was not waterproof, but thought I could deal with it. I used it for 1 month and returned it. Biggest issue was the washed out screen in the sun. The earplug connector broke and after looking at the unit, the are not as ruggedly made as the Zumo's.

I ended up with a Zumo 550. I like XM radio, so the 660 is not even a temptation for me, though I like the wider screen.

Good luck with your choice...but use it for a few days in bright light, and see if it works for you.

I know that the screen washout could be a problem, though the screen resolution on the 765T is greater than on the Zumo 550. But it will mount behind a fairing, and I'll also use one of these, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As the unit has stereo bluetooth, I'll be using bluetooth earphones so the plug shouldn't be a problem either. I don't use XM, so its lack is not important to me. Different strokes... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Deek, I'm a bit confused by your question in that Mapsource can be downloaded free from Garmin's website. It's the map data (like City Navigator etc.) that you have to buy. Some Garmin GPSs come with maps pre-loaded, so you'd only have to pay for map data when you want to update the maps. Other Garmin GPSs, like the 276/376/478C series of chartplotters have only a basemap per-loaded and most opt to buy detailed maps to load on their PC (to use with the free Mapsource) and to load onto their GPSs.

A communication mis-match! :Cool:

I know the software itself can't be downloaded free. I was wondering about the "version" of MapSource. I have three versions on my PC now, installed with three different DVDs, and I wanted to know if the 2720 comes with the same version of Mapsource I use with my BMW/Garmin Nav III, which is City Navigator North American NT. Then I can uninstall the v7 I use with my Garmin 2610. Routes done with one version are not compatible with the other version.

Nuvi 550

Lacks some features but at $225, its a great deal for a versatile unit if you use your GPS for navigating (not entertainment). I prefer it over my 2610.

Nuvi 350. I have the RKA tank bag with the RAM mount that is made for this model. Bought the Nuvi at Walmart of all places.

No Bluetooth which I did not care about since it plugs in via a headphone jack to my motocomm, not waterproof, but the rain cover works just fine, and can only add one stop to a trip.

Cheap enough though and does not break the bank. I have a Mazda car with GPS and the Nuvi works 10x better than the built in, in the car.

Archived