IGNORED

isolated stalling

Heyfrank

My 04 1150rt 64,000mi has been stalling out. It appears to shut off when handle bars are turned left. Bike running , turn them left the dash goes out and bike shuts off. With just key turned on same thing.If anybody could point me in right direction it sure would help. Thanks

Frank, there have been reported problems with the wire harness flexing & the wire breaking in the harness at the tie strap just rearward of the steering neck.. Probably be good place to start looking..

Twisty

Steering neck, that is just below the headlight cover? it is a T . Should I split the wrap with a knife and check for broken wires? Re wrap with electric tape?Thanks. I have been working on this for awhile and really appreciate the help.

Start by grabbing the harness & pulling,, twisting,, & shaking it with the engine running.. If you can reproduce a stall then cut the wire harness covering in the bad area & repair the broken wire with a new piece of wire & proper heat shrink tubing.. Use splice clips & solder the joints..

The problem is usually right at or real close to the tie strap (usually the strap was too tight)..

Wireharness.jpg

Twisty

Thanks twisty1 It seems to be around the connection that you mentioned. I spliced the connection but it might need to be a bigger piece. I just put a connector at the break (i hope i did not cut it) and it got better but on pushing higher up it got even better. I will work on it more tomorrow.

Twisty1, I unwrapped the wires from the covers and wiggled and visually inspected each one with handlebars turned to left. could find nothing yet. As a group the dash comes on and off like there is a brake in the wire. I turned the key on and used a light tester to see if I have current thru each wire. When dash out all wires don:t show current and when the dash is on all wires show current.Does this mean anything? Thanks

Frank, try pulling on the wires lengthwise.. The break might be inside the wire covering & not show from the outside.. Pay particular attention to the red wire going in & the green coming out..

Twisty

might be the green. this is the group going into the key switch. I also noticed that the white clip at the bottom of the unit or where the wire harness is connected has play or is a little loose.I fell like a kid about to get a candy bar.

I"ts the green. Thank you . I was concentrating on the other batches of wire because when I wiggled them it flickered but was probably hitting the key switch wires. The white connector where the wires go in seems to be ok. I will temporary tie it up and test it out. Once again thank you so much.

Hey Twisty, where'd you get the graphic of the wiring? I know its not in my BMW or the Haynes,,,soooooo where'd you get it?

Just curious,

Jim

test rode the bike 60 miles doing errands , lots of stop and start. No stalling. Basically used a 16-22 wire connector on the broken green wire then used heat shrink . Wrapped back up with electric tape with silicon tape on ends , retied back up. This problem started back on the dealth valley ride in january and finally got bad enough to recreate with turning of handle bars to the left. Twesty1 you amaze me with your dynastic abilities.

Archived