IGNORED

New Diesel Motorcycle

hootowl

If I read it right they're claiming approx. 71 mpg (US) at 75 mph, not too shabby. Of course I've seen people claim the same thing about the 1200RT... :grin:

russell_bynum

496lbs dry weight.

Centrifugal clutch

CVT trans

Performance doesn't look too bad, though. 0-100kmh (~62mph) in 3.75 Sec and 67mpg at 75mph.

That weight is a killer, though. For reference, the DRZ400, which is known as a real porker in the dualsport world is 291lbs. At 496 you're up in R1200GS territory. (But maybe that's their intention?)

Dave in Doodah

I always figured power:weight would be a killer for a diesel bike. But very cool. It still looks much more viable that I had expected. And you could run biodiesel in a pinch.

russell_bynum
I always figured power:weight would be a killer for a diesel bike. But very cool. It still looks much more viable that I had expected. And you could run biodiesel in a pinch.

It depends on the bike, IMO. If the bike doesn't need to be super powerful or super agile, it might be OK for it to be heavy in exchange for the better mpg of a diesel. Specifically, I could see this as being a good idea for bikes designed to act as commuters like the larger scooters.

I saw the weight and that it seemed to be marketed as a dualsport and thought NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!! But then I looked up the weight on the big GS. If performance is similar and it's built to compete with the heavy adventure bikes, that might be OK.

Kawasaki has been making a diesel KLR 650 for awhile. The Army and Marines have them already. Rumor has it that the public will be able to buy in 2010. I'm in.........

Kawasaki has been making a diesel KLR 650 for awhile. The Army and Marines have them already. Rumor has it that the public will be able to buy in 2010. I'm in.........

I believe the bike you refer to is built by Hayes Diversified Technologies ( Link) using Kawasaki frames.

I believe the bike you refer to is built by Hayes Diversified Technologies ( Link) using Kawasaki frames.

Not sure of that? Read an article on it a year ago and they are to be released in 2010 with 70 mpg the norm. As long as they work!!!

I can't wait for Kenworth and Peterbuilt to jump into the MC market. I'm betting on large touring/cruiser models from them though. :D

Archived