IGNORED

GS Mirrors for RT - part number?

Cerviperus

Does anyone know off hand, all of the part numbers needed to put GS mirrors on a stock '08 RT?

Now that my hitch is installed, and I've pulled my Aspen a couple times, all I can see in my stock mirrors is the trailer. I can't have that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

left - 51 167 653 773

right -51 167 653 774

nut: - 51 162 328287 (you need 2)

washer: - 51 162 309607 (you need 2)

Please look up these part numbers at link

to be sure these are the ones you want. These are from the 02-03 R1200S and I have them on my bike.

There are also round shaped mirrors that are a little more adjustable.

these look like this:

4379.jpg.484ce7d4e9c23822611cc546eea88afa.jpg

Here's a previous thread that has various part numbers and links and feedback on the various mirrors that work on the RT. It's a good read as I recall, and even has a link to yet another thread on mirrors.

linky

left - 51 167 653 773

right -51 167 653 774

to be sure these are the ones you want. These are from the 02-03 R1200S and I have them on my bike.

Exactly the type of info I was looking for. I've seen the round-style mirrors, and I think I like these better. Thanks as well for the link to RealOEM. I'm sure that will come in very handy at some point.
Eric the Blue

I installed these exact mirrors on my '09RT. They're great for added visibility when I have a large duffle bag bungied to the rear seat. There are two issues you should be aware of: 1) The mirrors vibrate a lot making it difficult to accurately identify any approaching vehicles (is that a cop?) 2) It's REALLY tight getting the nuts tightened onto the bolt ends. I had to use a pair of needle-nose vise-grip plyers to sufficiently tighten them. I refused to buy the $10/ea (!!!) BMW nuts and instead bought some at my local hardware store for $.50/ea. Maybe the beemer nuts are easier to install...

I have been wanting to do this for over a year now. However, how much interference do you have with the mirrors hitting the windshield when making sharper turns?

I love the look of the mirrors as well.

Bill_Walker
left - 51 167 653 773

right -51 167 653 774

these look like this:

OK, I just popped in here to do some hexhead research and saw this topic, which is one that's been on my mind lately, and I have to comment.

My '04 1150RT came with the pictured mirrors on it from the previous owner. I find that they vibrate pretty badly at speed (yes, the bolts are tight), and that the adjustable heads vibrate to the point of making an audible buzz at some rpms, which I can stop if I put my hand on the mirror. I'm thinking of switching to the round GS mirrors. Have you run into this with yours? Mine have been on for at least 36,000 miles.

My '04 1150RT came with the pictured mirrors on it from the previous owner. I find that they vibrate pretty badly at speed (yes, the bolts are tight), and that the adjustable heads vibrate to the point of making an audible buzz at some rpms, which I can stop if I put my hand on the mirror. I'm thinking of switching to the round GS mirrors. Have you run into this with yours? Mine have been on for at least 36,000 miles.
I'm glad you dropped in Bill. I hate to admit that I'm the type of person that would get really aggravated by buzzing. Hopefully someone will chime in.

On my '01 K1200RS, I switched from the stock "mickey mouse" mirrors to the sleeker, oval mirrors from the later model. For whatever reason, I found that the nicer looking oval mirrors seemed to be MUCH more susceptable to vibes...and the K-bike has darn few vibes IMHO...

I have been wanting to do this for over a year now. However, how much interference do you have with the mirrors hitting the windshield when making sharper turns?

I love the look of the mirrors as well.

The only contact the mirror has is with the antenna (factory set up) on sharp turns (ie turning the bike around in my driveway doing a 3 point turn).

No windshield issues (at least with the stock windshield). If you have the factory antenna, it appears to be adjustable enough to get out of the way, but so far it's not been an issue enough for me to figure out how to loosen the adjustment on the antenna.

4384.thumb.jpg.7c7a671e1178e8b0c57e4649d3ed8faf.jpg

Edited by workin them angels

OK, I just popped in here to do some hexhead research and saw this topic, which is one that's been on my mind lately, and I have to comment.

A couple of things Bill, and good question. The 1200 is smoother then the 1150. I do not notice any buzzing what so ever. However, they do vibrate. To me, not distractingly so, but not crystal clear either. (I don't know if bar ends would help or not). I find that the vibration doesn't bother me much. I can see what's going on behind me, and that's most important. As someone mentioned, you can't always tell if it is Officer Friendly.

Secondly, the round mirrors (Micky Mouse) seem to be more adjustable. The one like I have only have a limited amount of swivel. The mirror sort of pivots on the mirror stalk. The stalk has two 'detents' that help align the mirror stalk to the base. For me, I need the adjustment a little more to the outside then the mirror will pivot, so I have moved the stalk off the detent a tiny bit. If you do that, it can have a tenancy to move back into the detents - although I'm not sure Twisty had that problem. I went ahead and just drilled new detants a little off-set and that works great. I seem to have been more precise on the left mirror as it vibrates noticeably less then my right.

This pic shows what I mean by the 'off set'. If you want, I can take a pic of the new detents I drilled as well.

dave

4383.thumb.jpg.4ced65bd5790d20704cda43917d7f604.jpg

Edited by workin them angels
If you want, I can take a pic of the new detents I drilled as well.

dave

Would appreciate seeing pics of your new "detents"; same bike, same issue(s).

Have tried both types. Single stalk, round mirrors interfere least with stock mirrors (as in stem blocking view) but with noticeable vibration. The double stalk mirrors block more of the oem units (rely less on them with the added mirrors anyway) but have much less vibration. Can't seem to "push" the left-hand one out quite far enough; your approach looks like the answer.

If you want, I can take a pic of the new detents I drilled as well.

dave

Would appreciate seeing pics of your new "detents"; same bike, same issue(s).

Have tried both types. Single stalk, round mirrors interfere least with stock mirrors (as in stem blocking view) but with noticeable vibration. The double stalk mirrors block more of the oem units (rely less on them with the added mirrors anyway) but have much less vibration. Can't seem to "push" the left-hand one out quite far enough; your approach looks like the answer.

Here ya go Mike. This adjustment has allowed me to (everyone together now . . ) 'Set it and Forget it' as Ron Popeil would say. :D

But wait, there's more . . (naw, just kidding)

4386.thumb.jpg.e3025e29497d0dd995c99a6c7776abfc.jpg

Well, I ordered me a set of GT/GS mirrors (the round ones) yesterday. They should be here hopefully tomorrow. I don't know that I will get them installed before next week, but I can't wait to see how they work out.

I opted for the round ones after reading multiple threads, because it seems the general consensus (I say general, not all) was that the thin stalks obstruct less of the stock mirrors, and tend to vibrate less than the dual stalk RS mirrors.

Part numbers if anyone is interested ($174 after shipping):

51162307769 - Mirror (universal left & right)

51162309607 - Washer

51162328287 - Nut

I have the round GT/GS mirrors and love them. They do vibrate a little at some RPMs but not enough to be a problem. I have them set to see directly behind me and have the fairing mirrors angled way out to the sides to cover the blind spots and each one has a convex stick-on on it. I know it sounds like "mirror overkill" but I like it that way.

Well, I ordered me a set of GT/GS mirrors (the round ones) yesterday. They should be here hopefully tomorrow. I don't know that I will get them installed before next week, but I can't wait to see how they work out.

I opted for the round ones after reading multiple threads, because it seems the general consensus (I say general, not all) was that the thin stalks obstruct less of the stock mirrors, and tend to vibrate less than the dual stalk RS mirrors.

Part numbers if anyone is interested ($174 after shipping):

51162307769 - Mirror (universal left & right)

51162309607 - Washer

51162328287 - Nut

when you put them on can you post pictures showing how they look? I am undecided over round or RS style mirrors.

Indy Dave

well, just to throw some more wood on the fire, here are some other options ~ these links all came from other BMWST mirror threads (I was looking for a pic of the round mirrors - I've seen one some where before).

multivex mirrors These stick or attach over the stock mirrors. I have these (or similar) on my old Bimmer.

and blind spot mirrors. These are the same shape as the RT mirrors. CIPA 8101

good price

Pic of spot mirror: amazon

Lastly - here's Elfjay's bike with the spot mirrors. They fit nicely. (second post on page 2 thread)

elffjay's RT

Tim Wilson

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

I got mine from the local dealership for $154 after tax complete with nuts and washers.

I'm more of a "function over form" kind of guy but don't want a fugly bike either. I think the round mirrors look a little out of place but not bad enough to do without them. I thought that the other kind looked like bug antennae, but that's just me.

Indy Dave

OK . . these mirrors fit.... I mention this because there is more then one type of 'round' mirror.

R1150GS (2001) R1150GS

K1200RS = same as the GS

R1200ST = R1200ST (pictured on the Tim Wilson's bike on the previous post)

K1200RS = K1200RS (as shown on my bike one first page)

Phew . . . options options options

Tim Wilson

When I ordered mine, they were actually listed as '03 K1200GT mirrors. I only picked them specifically because I saw a used K12GT at the dealer and figured that they would work.

Edited by Tim Wilson
Indy Dave

Thanks Tim. So the

K1200GT

R1150GS

K1200RS

bikes all use the same part #.

Cerviperus

My mirrors showed up today, and I hoped I'd be able to slap them on real quick and get some pictures. I should have known it wouldn't go that smoothly. Nothing ever goes that smoothly for me. The right-hand mirror drops into place beautifully, but the holes on the left side of the bars don't line up. So, I'm going to have to wait until I get home on Sunday and ream out the bottom hole a bit to make them line up. Hopefully I don't inadvertently cause any additional vibration or looseness in the process.

I'll let you know how my progress goes.

Assuming those are threaded GS mirrors try spinning the mirror and thread it into the hole....I have a GS on the left side of my 12RT and had that issue also.......Just spun it right on down and put the washer and nut on.....Don't have to worry about over-reaming and making a loose fit...

Edited by Redbrick
Eric the Blue

You know, now that you say that, I had the same problem getting mine to fit. I just reamed it out slightly with a drill bit (after laying a cloth on the bike to catch any shavings). Good luck.

BTW, I'm glad to hear the official beemer nuts ARE easier to install, but still...

BeemerLover

Yeah, you've got to ream out the hole a little with a drill bit that just fits the hole.

Also, put a little bit of thread lock on the threads... I lost one of the nuts and they are expensive.

I understand (have not tried this) that inexpensive mirrors from JC Whitney or others with the 10mm ends will also work. JCW has some that cost less than $20 for the pair.

Here is one point that should be brought up. The ability to adjust these mirrors for FULL coverage that is going on behind you. I have my stock mirrors set to view very wide on the sides. Meaning I can see a car pass me in the stock mirrors and before it is out of my stock mirror the car is in my perifial(sp?) vision. I use the additional GS mirrors to see what is going on directly behind me.

So I can see a car come up on me in the GS mirrors from WAY back there then enter the stock mirrors set wide to my vision without turning my head. You could even change lanes but just using the mirrors but I always do the head twist to make sure. I do not have a blind spot behind me. Now all I need to do is not daydream on the bike and I will be all set.

Tim Wilson

Here is one point that should be brought up. The ability to adjust these mirrors for FULL coverage that is going on behind you. I have my stock mirrors set to view very wide on the sides. Meaning I can see a car pass me in the stock mirrors and before it is out of my stock mirror the car is in my perifial(sp?) vision. I use the additional GS mirrors to see what is going on directly behind me.

So I can see a car come up on me in the GS mirrors from WAY back there then enter the stock mirrors set wide to my vision without turning my head. You could even change lanes but just using the mirrors but I always do the head twist to make sure. I do not have a blind spot behind me. Now all I need to do is not daydream on the bike and I will be all set.

+1

Yeah, you've got to ream out the hole a little with a drill bit that just fits the hole.

Also, put a little bit of thread lock on the threads... I lost one of the nuts and they are expensive.

I understand (have not tried this) that inexpensive mirrors from JC Whitney or others with the 10mm ends will also work. JCW has some that cost less than $20 for the pair.

I was able to get by without reaming by just applying a little more downward pressure and twisting it in as per Redbrick's suggestion. YMMV.

Cerviperus

Back in town, and unfortunately, also back at work. I'm hoping to have a chance to tackle the mirrors either tonight or tomorrow night. The idea of simply applying pressure and threading it in intrigues me, but I fear that with my luck, I will round off the threads in the process. Then, the nut may not tighten down appropriately.

Not sure what route I'm going to take yet, but I'll let you know.

Cerviperus

Alright... it worked! I put a little WD-40 on the threads, put a little pressure on the mirror stem, and threaded it through the bottom hole. Everything went on great. Now it looks like mirror overkill (2 stock, 2-GS, 2 blind spot), but oh well. Function over form in this case. All in all, the round GS mirrors don't look bad at all. They look much better than I thought they would.

Also, just as a first impression, I pulled my camper around the block a couple times to get them angled right, and they don't appear to vibrate too badly at all. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I plan to take the bike to work, so I'll report back how they handle at highway speeds.

I opted for these even though I have a spare set of K-RS mirrors I had on the LT and a spare set of GS mirrors. http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23554&Number=245347#Post245347

These do not hit the windshield (have a Ztechnik) and have a real clean look. Cost was only about $26 each but that was not the main reason I went with them. They to vibrate a bit. By the way the stock GS mirrors on my GS are totally clear. Just another mirror option ....thanks to this site I found them. :clap:

Cerviperus

Here's a quick picture of what the mirrors look like on the bike. Not bad. Also, after riding around today back and forth to work, and a little bit after work, I have to say I think they're going to work out great. I did like many others have said, and made my stock mirrors view further out to the sides, and between those, my new ones, and my blind spots, I can see someone clear to my peripheral vision.

4416.jpg.636cd22bc0fd05a6444ef4a1db8afb9a.jpg

Edited by Cerviperus
  • 10 years later...
On 5/5/2009 at 7:06 PM, Cerviperus said:

Here's a quick picture of what the mirrors look like on the bike. Not bad. Also, after riding around today back and forth to work, and a little bit after work, I have to say I think they're going to work out great. I did like many others have said, and made my stock mirrors view further out to the sides, and between those, my new ones, and my blind spots, I can see someone clear to my peripheral vision.

4416.jpg.636cd22bc0fd05a6444ef4a1db8afb9a.jpg

Can you share which (by PN, or year/model bike) these came from...  Look like what I've been searching for...  Thanks in advance... ;)

8 hours ago, ob1jeeper said:

Can you share which (by PN, or year/model bike) these came from...  Look like what I've been searching for...  Thanks in advance... ;)

Morning  ob1jeeper

You have resurrected  a very old thread (way back from 1999), plus  Cerviperus hasn't posted here is quite a long while now so might want to start your own thread asking about specific mirrors for your motorcycle. (with very old threads some of  the posters have probably moved on)  

On 2/23/2020 at 5:27 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning  ob1jeeper

You have resurrected  a very old thread (way back from 1999), plus  Cerviperus hasn't posted here is quite a long while now so might want to start your own thread asking about specific mirrors for your motorcycle. (with very old threads some of  the posters have probably moved on)  

Thanks for the response... ;)   Was attempting to not start a new thread, if someone here were to read it an have a response. ;)    But it appears that's a better course of action.. ;)