IGNORED

R1100RT Fairing won't fit well

Hotmop

I've owned this bike since 98 and done nearly all the work on it. It seems like the tank row of fasteners is harder and harder to get right each time I work on it. I'll even confess to having crossed one at the top.

This time I took the top center trim piece off in hopes of realigning it all and for the life of me it seems like these are all now parts to a different bike. The center trim is just not even close to lining up well for all 6 screws. The holes have been stretched and mis-shaped over time and it's still a struggle.

One thing I was thinking... Do people remove or cut down the foam rubber strips under the center trim? Does that stuff swell over the years and cause trouble? Or maybe stiffen and not compress as it once did?

Please tell me there is a secret to this I'm missing.

I have often marveled at the accuracy and quality of the fairing fit on my 2000 R1100RT. It could only have be done with an integrated computer design and manufacturing system.

Has your bike been in a tilt?

I've owned this bike since 98 and done nearly all the work on it. It seems like the tank row of fasteners is harder and harder to get right each time I work on it. I'll even confess to having crossed one at the top.

This time I took the top center trim piece off in hopes of realigning it all and for the life of me it seems like these are all now parts to a different bike. The center trim is just not even close to lining up well for all 6 screws. The holes have been stretched and mis-shaped over time and it's still a struggle.

One thing I was thinking... Do people remove or cut down the foam rubber strips under the center trim? Does that stuff swell over the years and cause trouble? Or maybe stiffen and not compress as it once did?

Please tell me there is a secret to this I'm missing.

Hotmop, that seems to come with the territory on the older oilheads..

A couple of thoughts..

First make sure you have the fuel tank in the correct position.. There is some slop in the rear mounting bolt holes that allow the tank to creep a little.. Sometimes it helps to fool with the tank position a little..

Next,, if it still doesn’t line up correctly use a Dremel & small bit to open the Tupperware screw holes slightly in the direction needed to facilitate bolt installation.. Those screws cross thread easily so a little work on slotting the holes can really improve your chances of not cross threading them..

Twisty

@Linz, both sides. though its really only this tank row. Everything else can be easily lined up as there is plenty of flex in the parts going together.

@nrp, no doubt. Amazing it fits at all. I seem to have memory that this was no where near the trouble it is now. No tilts.

If I put one top screw in 1 side, the bottom hole on the opposite side is not even visible. And this is just with the center cover, not even getting to the side covers, it only get worse there.

Twisty1, very good idea. I've had the tank off a few times and I'm not sure I realized there was play in putting it back on.

It doesn't cover the center piece being out of whack, but I'll re-assess with the tank and see where I come out.

Thanks

Problem solved.

I took out the foam rubber spacers and then also adjusted the tank and it goes together like butter.

I think the tank was most of the problem and has been an issue since I replaced the fuel filter a couple years ago.

Mine gets weirder every time too - I have bad dreams about those screws. All are dremeled out and I have yet to cross thread, but its going to happen!

Could you elaborate on where these foam strips are please, I don't remember seeing these.

Archived