IGNORED

Metal part drained out of trans

E30TECH

I was helping a buddy change the trans oil. After everything was drained out, I looked in the drain 'port' and saw something. I pulled it out with a pair of needle nose pliers and cant seem to figure what it is from. I have to assume that it is from the tans, and not something that fell into the trans from the last oil change.

The bike is a 2004 RT with @ 20K miles.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this is?

Metal2.jpg

metal.jpg

It is magnetic, about 1/8" thick. The hole is roughly 3/16.

I'm looking at the curvature of the one side...I'm thinking it is a the end of a snap ring.

It is broken - it appears to have broken at the center of the hole.

Hey Perry.....I can't "name that part"

but I thought of you and had a chuckle this morning on my ride home from the BRR. I passed by the Texaco station we stopped at last year in TN and the owl was still sitting on top of the sign. I guess its a pretty safe assumption now that it is a fake :grin:

Auxillary Light Mounts For Sale (click here)

On a side note...

Driving lights are not to be mounted higher than your headlight. That law may vary from state to state and province to province.

On a side note...

Driving lights are not to be mounted higher than your headlight. That law may vary from state to state and province to province.

Thanks there Sheriff Andy Taylor. So are my flashing LED brake lights, HID converted headlight, earbuds, excessive rate of speed I usually ride, etc.

I don't recognize it. How about a few pictures from other angles?

Anton - I'm pretty sure this is the end of a circlip. I can't think of anything else it could be.

Thanks

On a side note...

Thanks there Sheriff Andy Taylor. So are my flashing LED brake lights, HID converted headlight, earbuds, excessive rate of speed I usually ride, etc.

Insert proof (Perry sitting in a cop car) :grin:

BRR_SP08-139_Print.jpg

E30TECH, that piece doesn’t ring a bell with me either..

A couple of thoughts..

First,, try to match the curvature of the radius to something that matches it’s curvature,, like a jar lid or a pie plate,, etc.. That might give you an idea of the size of the part it came from..

Maybe remove the magnetic drain plug from the bottom of the trans to see if any other pieces trapped there (will need to remove the cat converter to access that plug).. That might shed some light on what’s going on..

Are you sure that piece wasn’t in the drain pan to begin with? How about something from the bottom of the bike like a frame tab or similar?

Twisty

On a side note...

Insert proof (Perry sitting in a cop car) :grin:

BRR_SP08-139_Print.jpg

:D

And I was the only one the cop said was in the reckless zone.

E30TECH, that piece doesn’t ring a bell with me either..

A couple of thoughts..

First,, try to match the curvature of the radius to something that matches it’s curvature,, like a jar lid or a pie plate,, etc.. That might give you an idea of the size of the part it came from..

Maybe remove the magnetic drain plug from the bottom of the trans to see if any other pieces trapped there (will need to remove the cat converter to access that plug).. That might shed some light on what’s going on..

Are you sure that piece wasn’t in the drain pan to begin with? How about something from the bottom of the bike like a frame tab or similar?

Twisty

I can bring the part to work and get the actual radius. That might be a good idea. I didn't even realize there was a drain plug on the bottom of the trans. I will have him look into that. The part was actually in the trans drain plug port. I pulled it out with a pair of pliers.

There are no strange noises, vibration, shifting issues, etc. I rode the bike after the oil change to make sure there were no issues.

It really looks like the end of a circlip.... a very big cirlcip holding a gear set together.

Thanks for your response

It really looks like the end of a circlip.... a very big cirlcip holding a gear set together.

That would be my only guess as well, but like you said......that would be a damn big snap ring. I suppose it could be part of #9 in the middle of the input shaft?

11182.jpg

or either #8 on the output shaft

11199.jpg

If I'm reading this correctly, the one on the input shaft is listed as a size J41x1.75. I supposing that means it is a internal diameter of 41mm? That would be about the right size wouldn't it?

Something like this?

98541A161L.GIF

The parts fiche I'm looking at doesn't have sizes listed for the output shaft snap rings

I'm thinking it is a clip as you point out in the pic. The part looks like the hole was drilled close to the edge of the metal, creating a weak spot. I brought the part to work and am having some engineers look at it to see if it was due to shear, heat, or defect in the manufacturing process. I suppose (but doubt) it could have been in there from the factory during the initial build. Again - I highly doubt it.

If it is the end of a circlip I'm not sure what exactly would cause that kind of break, unless it was stressed and cracked upon installation and just fell off later. Even if so it seems that losing the end may make later removal a bit of a pain but otherwise it shouldn't affect the functionality of the circlip itself.

Anton Largiader

I do see how it looks like the broken end of a circlip but I can assure you there is no circlip that big anywhere in an R1150RT. The hole is about 5mm?!?! Think how big those circlip pliers would be! If it was in there, it was probably there since the bike as built. I don't recognize it as any 6-speed part, at least not as you've described it.

I didn't even realize there was a drain plug on the bottom of the trans. I will have him look into that. The part was actually in the trans drain plug port. I pulled it out with a pair of pliers.

I'm confused. What are you mean by "trans drain plug port" ? Is it the actual trans drain (behind drain plug) or the tunnel leading to the trans drain plug ?

Wondering Wooster

Anton -

The hole is @ .125" in diameter. I can't imagine anything else it could be. I don't have any experience with the inner workings of a transmission, so my guesses are limited. I'm going by the factory repair manual diagram - looking at each part, and trying to find where it would fit.

I didn't even realize there was a drain plug on the bottom of the trans. I will have him look into that. The part was actually in the trans drain plug port. I pulled it out with a pair of pliers.

I'm confused. What are you mean by "trans drain plug port" ? Is it the actual trans drain (behind drain plug) or the tunnel leading to the trans drain plug ?

Wondering Wooster

The drain port I am referring to is on the right side of the bike, below the fill port. This piece was sitting on the threads inside the port. I'm surprised it didn't drain into the drain pan.

I didn't know there was a plug on the bottom of the trans - above the cat until Twisty mentioned it.

I took OoPezoO's diagram and used it as a background for the metal piece. I photoshopped the metal piece onto the picture to show where I think it came from. The background pic is a generic circlip pic from McMaster (thanks Keith).

clipoverlay.jpg

You are assuming that the part had a reason to be in there to start with. I have found several odd items in the bottom of engines and gearboxes over the years that had no reason to be there at all. Sometimes pieces fly on the assembly line, near as I can tell.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Okay, got it. I was having a hard time with the scale. It does indeed look like what you're describing.

It looks like an internal guide for something like a Shifting Rail. Does it have a mounting hole on the flat end that we cannot see. I've been into many transmissions but never into the 6 speed of the R1150RT. Small parts like these that may be mounted to the case are not always shown in the parts breakdown. It definitely is not a retaining ring.

Good luck,

I changed my trans and FD oil yesterday. I had 2 pieces that look very similar to your pics. hanging on the magnetic drain plug in the trans. I am almost certain that it is not a piece of a circlip. I have crashed the gears several times since the last change and I am assuming these pieces came from that event. In any case, I cannot identify them and the trans runs and shifts smoothly. Now I am worried what will happen next :S

You have a different transmission. Let's see pics.

Here they are, hope this works, I have never posted a pic. before.

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

Well, I guess that didn't work. Can you give me some guidance on posting a picture?

Bill, you can’t post a picture directly from your computer.. You have to host them on web site (like Photobucket) then link to the url where the picture is hosted..

Twisty

Bill, go to Photobucket (click on link below) & sign up (it’s free).. Then upload your pictures there.. Then copy the url’s of your picture locations & place that url into your post here (use the enter image button)..

http://photobucket.com/

Twisty

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Now you have lost me Twisty. I have no idea what Photo Bucket is, pardon my computer illiteracy.

forward the pictures to me, I'll put 'em up for you.

taf at beachbus dot net.

Go to your pictures on photobucket and hover the cursor over each in turn. This brings up a drop-down with links. Copy the bottom one - IMG - and paste that into your message.

Andy

Mitch helped me get this part, now " I is an expert " that was said with a southern drawl by the way.

P1010002.jpg

You want to click on switch to full screen reply. Then select "enter an image", then select "non floating image".

Then you copy the "image location" off the photo bucket picture (right click on the picture and select "image location"), but it cannot be the slideshow image. You will have to go to either main or grid and pull up the picture individually from there.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like you are not copying it correctly.. Is it turning blue as you highlight it? If not you probably are not copying it correctly..

Try to paste it into a word document once you can paste it there it should pates on this site..

image1.jpg

Twisty

Bill, I dont paste the picture itself,

I right click on the picture on photo bucket / flicker then select "copy image location", and then paste that in the "enter image location"/"non floating image".

Twisty, The photo does not turn blue. I have copied the link location and will try that.

th_P1010002.jpg

Wala, finally got it, now will see if I can remember how to do it next time. Thanks JC & Twisty.

Now, what do you think about the piece?

Not to scare you or nothing but,,,,,,, I sheared my intermediate shaft in two and did not have any pieces that size or a tenth of that when I drained mine. I say definately time for a serious look see.

P1010004.jpg

holy crap......is that in inches? Those are some serious chunks. What is the thickness of the metal? Are the pieces flexible, or are they pretty sturdy?

Archived