IGNORED

HELP!!!

Schnell

While buttoning up the RT after a valve adjustment I managed to push the inspection hole cover into the bike.

What damage have I done?

Do I just get another cover?

or do I have to retrive the one inside?

Ken

John Dickens

Do you mean the small rubber blanking plug over the TDC hole on the transmission. If so don't worry about it. It will damage nothing. One or two members have confessed to having 2 or 3 of these in the casing now.

Many people have a tidy little collection of the things down there. Just ask Russell Bynum. I believe he has the world's preeminant collection. dopeslap.gif Fortunately BMW has designed the bike so that there's a timing hole plug graveyard built in. No harm no foul. Buy a new one if you feel you must or better yet buy several. They enjoy eachother's company. clap.gif

They also come in handy for plugging the stock antenna hole if you are one of those who have removed your radio and want to get rid of the antenna.

A little tip... at many auto parts stores there is a display of red 'Help!' blister pack cards that contain a variety of trim and mechanical parts. Among these you should be able to find a threaded rubber plug (don't have the part number right now) that fits the timing plug hole. Toss the PITA BMW plug and use the threaded plug instead... easy installation and removal, and it can't fall in.

So many people have done it, they're probably one of BMW's most popular parts! Put a piece of duct tape over the whole,. black if you're real AR, and forget about it!

Calvin  (no socks)

Snap-On has a rubber magnet, # 36345-54678. Its about $35 and they usually have one on the truck.......... grin.gif

I wouldn't worry about it......

You can use an airhead timing plug cover instead of the oilhead timing plug cover. It is thicker and alot harder to push into the graveyard.

Great idea! Has anyone every tried and had success with using the Airhead timing hole rubber cover. I've got a few of those but just thought they were to big.

Let me know if anyone has had success & I'll try it today.

Ken

Archived