IGNORED

Helmet life?

TonyS

A Shoei rep told me today that he recommends replacing a helmet every three years; that the manufacturer states the life of the helmet to be five years max. An internet search regarding helmet life turned up several articles, two to five years was the range. My question is has anyone ever seen a study where older helmets were tested to current standards? My Shoei RF900 helmet has never had an impact nor are any of the inner pads or straps visibly deteriorating. I really don't want to replace it as it took a while to break this one in, but I certainly do not want to wear a worn out helmet either.

Talked with the Arai rep at the Int. Motorcycle show. He confirmed what I have always heard, swap it out @ 5 years regardless if it has been dropped or crashed with or not. IMHO $300-500 for your precious head when you ride a $16k (new) motorcycle is a mere pittance.

just wear it till you feel that you are compromising your safety by doing so. If it fits well and the shell, straps/fasteners and innards are in good shape, save your $$.

If I sold helmets or made them, I'd tell people they should change them out every 6 months, but that's just me. I know Jiffy Lube would like people to change their oil every 300 miles, but 3,000 is an easier sell...even though some car makes recommend 10,000 miles and more [on regular dino oil] between changes. MARKETING - MARKETING - MARKETING...it is a great - thing!

A better question might be if a manufacturer has been sued because a helmet failed to protect and the defensw was that the helmet was used beyond the recommended life.

Tires, replace early.

Helmets, replace early.

Brake pads, replace on time.

Brake fluid, on time.

Oil/filter/other fluids per schedule.

It is an easy way to assure maximum potential safety and performance when you need it.

I would have to ask myself...and a dealer, what exactly has WORN out on a 5 year old helmet?

Marketing and liability are the only two reasons I can think of for a manufacturer?

The big issue is being dropped and fit. Otherwise I would wear it.

Tires, oil, brake fluid, brake pads, all can be RATIONALLY explained why they need to be changed/replaced. Helmet? Why? JMHO

I have to ask myself why people who are willing to spend so much money on a bike are so cheap when it comes to their own safety? Google the question and you will see plenty of reasons why you should change your helmet....but hey, enjoy it for as long as you like and hope you never need to test it and see if it is still crash worthy...

http://www.smf.org/faqs.html

I think it is hard to justify a universal answer based only on age. Helmets wear out at different rates based upon quality of construction, how often they are used, how well they are taken care of, their material composition, and age (which is probably the least important factor). Another issue to consider is the evolving technology that makes modern helmets safer than the previous generations.

Therefore, a helmet may be worn out well before 5 years (for example, in as little as 10 days after an Iron Butt Rally), or may still be quite serviceable if it is used infrequently. Any recommendation that does not take all of these factors into account is suspect to me.

Jay

Motodan, the oil analogy came to my mind also (a friend owns the local Jiffy Lubes). I have Blackstone Labs analyze the oil from my truck on occasion. They always tell me to push the changes out further as the oil is nowhere near the end of its life at 6400 miles (last test) even though the recommended interval is much less. I am not trying to be cheap by not buying a new helmet when it's needed but I'm not going to replace it every year just to be extra safe either. Our boat is seventeen years old and has been sitting in the weather (with a standard cover) its entire life. The hull still shines and I work hard to keep it in shape. I depend on it to take us out for a day on the ocean and take the pounding that can come with the excursion. My helmet is indoors when not in use and also kept clean (no stink) and polished. What I'd really like to see is an actual test done on an older helmet. I'd donate mine to test if they'd let me watch. Liability insurance must be huge for the helmet makers and I’m sure they do all they can to cover themselves. That said I'll soon purchase a new helmet.

Only on a BMW forum can there be so much discussion on when to replace a helmet :). I can only imagine what it would be on a H.D. forum........."I don't need no stink'n helmet...can't hear dem der pipes. Loud pipes save lives ya know....not dem der stink'n brain buckets."

I think it's not always a matter of one being 'cheap' for not wanting to replace a helmet. I have a Nolan N100 (1st gen flip up) that I only recently replaced after the shell developed a crack from a chatterbox mount. The helmet was nearing 10 years old and by any account had probably long outlived its useful life. It was so comfortable (for several days at 12+ hours a day) that replacing it was just not high on my list, not because I'm particularly cheap. It just seemed that unless I thought about it, the helmet didn't seem to be that old. It would take a concerted effort to realize the helmet was so old that I should plan to replace it. I did pick up a couple of helmets over the years and would wear a new one locally, but because the old nolan was the most comfortable, I'd usually take it on long trips (the most recent replacement is also a Nolan so the old one will finally be going out). The only time I replaced a helmet that didn't appear on the outside to be in bad shape was a Bell full face that was a gorgeous red, without a scratch. But one day when putting it on the foam literally rained down on my head and face. Just touching the foam would cause it to crumble. This from sitting in the garage (lack of use as I had gotten the much loved Nolan) and simply aging over 8 years.

Personally, I would suggest 10 years is entirely too long to hang on to a helmet (daily use or otherwise). Just because you can't see structural deterioration of the inner foam liner or shell does not mean it's not taking place.

I really feel better having a new helmet that fits and will try not to go another 10 before replacing it. 5-7 years does not seem unreasonable.

Has anybody ever seen a manufacture date on a helmet? If they are recommending replacement after a specified amount of time, then I'd like to know that it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for 3 years prior to my purchase. I've had my current helmet for about 5 years, but there was a 2 year period that I was "in between" bikes, and the helmet was stored in a closet. I don't feel compelled to replace it just because it's 5 years old, but I certainly would if it was really appropriate.

marcopolo
Has anybody ever seen a manufacture date on a helmet?

Yes. I've got an Arai Quantum/f and an HJC carbon fibre helmet. Both have the date of manufacture on them. The Arai has "MM/YY" stamped into the long side of the chin strap (near where it attaches to the inside of the helmet). On the HJC (which I don't have right in front of me), I seem to recall it was on a sticker under the helmet liner. I check the date before I buy the helmet.

I think they are looking at the wear not on the hard shell but the inside parts like the strap, foam, material, etc. you can't tell from the shell if the foam, or strap is worn. the stuff in the air(chemicals) cleaner you use, can breakdown the foam liner. To me changing out my helmet every 3-5 years is a small price to pay for protection, just because you can't see it doesn't mean its not worn. just my opinion

I just noticed a Shoei warranty (in a Motorcycle Accessories catalog) for the RF1000, seven years from the date of manufacture or five years from the date of purchase. That's a lot longer warranty than BMW gives us.

RoadJunkie

Should helmet replacement be based on mileage over age? I mean if you ride 3K miles/year, and the helmet spends the remaining time in the closet, the helmet would probably last 7 years. If you ride 20K miles/year, and thus more exposure to elements, maybe 3 years is more likely. Just ask'n...

TrickLidz

gasoline vapors deteriate (sp) the inner shell of a helmet. Don't store your helmet in a garage with your bike or other vehicles and don't put it on top of the filler of the bikes tank.

Should helmet replacement be based on mileage over age? I mean if you ride 3K miles/year, and the helmet spends the remaining time in the closet, the helmet would probably last 7 years. If you ride 20K miles/year, and thus more exposure to elements, maybe 3 years is more likely. Just ask'n...

That was exactly what I was thinking! Putting just a time on when to replace a helmet makes one think there is a "shelf life". If you ride to work every day versus someone who rides once or twice a month should probably have different replacement intervals. At least that is my "logical" thinking.

Archived