IGNORED

Just curious? When do wiring gremlins point to a new wiring harness? Ever?

BalancePoint

BalancePoint

My R1100R is 11 years old. Nice shape, but a lot of frayed shrink wrap and more and more little short problems. Do you just chase them forever? Do Airhead guys have it even worse?

BalancePoint, the wire harnesses don’t seem to be a big problem on the older oilheads.. There just doesn’t seem to be that many terminations to warrant a new wire harness.. I guess you might have an outlier if you are having more than a few shorts or opens.. A new wire harness would be quite expensive.. Is it a salt air issue or maybe a heat issue or other..

Are you fighting with OEM part of the wire harness or some of the add-on’s & other dealer/owner installed connections?

Shrink wrap is easy enough to replace,, some of the wire terminals themselves might be a little more difficult..

I guess depending on the extent of your wire aging issues & what exactly is the problem(s) maybe remove the wire harness & go over it completely then make repairs where needed..

Maybe have Beemer Boneyard keep an eye out for a good used one for you..

Twisty

I've noticed that the exterior sheathing around bundles of wires (is that what you're calling shrink wrap?) likes to degrade/disintegrate over time but at 13 years and counting on my '96 the wiring harness itself is fine. When the sheathing goes away I just replace it with split loom tubing which helps protect against shorts due to insulation wear.

BalancePoint
I've noticed that the exterior sheathing around bundles of wires (is that what you're calling shrink wrap?) likes to degrade/disintegrate over time but at 13 years and counting on my '96 the wiring harness itself is fine. When the sheathing goes away I just replace it with split loom tubing which helps protect against shorts due to insulation wear.

Honestly, I don't think my issues have been too major. Per Seth's advice and yours, I'll just replace some wrap and not worry about it. At the minimum, I learn a lot.

You guys are great.

Ken

Archived