IGNORED

GS mirrors on RT

SinNH

I read that the GS mirrors ( 529 + 530 ) fit right into our RT levers.

Question, do they hit the fairing before the triple tree hits the stops ?

Steve

I read that the GS mirrors ( 529 + 530 ) fit right into our RT levers.

Question, do they hit the fairing before the triple tree hits the stops ?

Steve

Steve, I had the R mirrors (2 L/H mirrors) on an 1100.. Not sure if the exact same as the GS mirrors but close.. Keep in mind the round stalk mirrors can be rotated slightly if need be to clear the windshield..

If you have a wider aftermarket windshield it will probably be more of an issue..

Twisty

Bill_Walker
Guess this is a newbie question- but why would you want to??

Don

So you can see something behind you besides your elbows and your luggage?

I used the K1200GT mirrors, and they don't hit my barn-door sized Aeroflow shield either. Just remember the spacers 31-42-2-314-991. You need 5 per side

rtmirror.jpg

-MKL

Slyder_Steve

Don,

If you're packing luggage on the back seat (or on top of the side cases) it can be easier to see with the GS mirrors.

Slyder

Good info as usual thanks everyone.

Moshe,, so with the K1200GT mirrors, did the spacers slide through the threaded hole in the brake lever mount or did you have to enlarge the hole ?

My clutch side is untapped and about 3mm larger.

Steve

Got it, thought that might be the reason. On my RTP, I removed the radio box and mounted a LARGE cargo box instead. My first mounting had it the wide way, and I couldn't see a thing. Re-mounted the "long way" and now have clear vision (between my elbows and the bags). My R80ST has tall GS mirrors and they are great.

Don

Got em on my 1100 and use them when I tour with a duffle strapped on the pillion. Good addition but they do create a lot of drag, but not too bad. Be aware that the right side post is left hand thread.

No mods to the hole or anything else are necessary. The only "ouch" is I think the spacers are like $1-2 each - but they're genuine BMW spacers, so that figures! ;-)

-MKL

I've got GS mirrors on my '99 RT, equipped with a Cee Bailey's Eurocut 4" extended windshield. The windshield will touch the mirrors IF it is fully lowered AND the bars are turned to full lock. Raising the shield about 1" will allow it to clear.

The GS mirrors eliminate the blind spots on both sides - they are worth the money, I think.

The only real issue was figuring out that one of them comes with left-handed threads...I forget with side, but I think it is the right side.

Get the GS mirrors! I use them on my 1150RT when I'm loded up and they work great! And when I'm not on a big trip I take them off to clean up the looks for riding around home.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys once again thanks for the "yes I've tried that and they work",responses. The GS mirrors are a needed addition when loaded up if the pilot wants to really know what's going on.

BTW they are fine with my Zecknick (sp?) windscreen,regardless of screen position.

Al Navecky Jr
I've got GS mirrors on my '99 RT, equipped with a Cee Bailey's Eurocut 4" extended windshield. The windshield will touch the mirrors IF it is fully lowered AND the bars are turned to full lock. Raising the shield about 1" will allow it to clear.

The GS mirrors eliminate the blind spots on both sides - they are worth the money, I think.

The only real issue was figuring out that one of them comes with left-handed threads...I forget with side, but I think it is the right side.

1+ 00RT Cee Bailey's 2" wider, 3.5 Eurocut taller. I also have a set of bar backs. Left side only.

Archived