IGNORED

poping, farting, banging

bikercop

On my ride to work today my 95 1100rt (70k miles) was backfireing, like the sound of a shotgun going off ! it did this a few times and was very rough to idle at the traffic lights, does this mean that the bike is running to rich or too lean ? Thanks Jase

They do run lean and mine pops on the overrun....but, being as it was worse then that, it could be that you simply had a case of "bad gas" (Petrol!)!!!

Check idle air bypass screw setting (both should be about 1 1/2 turns out and in sync with one another) and overall TB sync. If those are both OK then check that TPS voltage at closed throttle is within 370 to 400 millivolts (if this setting is too high then fuel will not be shut off on deceleration which will cause backfiring.)

Jeez Seth!

Couldn't you at least start with the simple stuff first :eek::rofl:

Bikercop : Plese note you are not supposed to bring religion into any subject on the board (Poping!???)

If the onset was sudden, and you just got gas, bad fuel is most likely. If the onset was sudden, and you have not fueled up or changed/tuned anything, I am sorry to say that you may have a burned valve. Good luck!

check for air leaks at the TB's up to the intake manifold. WD40 sprayed on the fitting while the engine is running will produce smoke out the exhaust.

Check the TB's where you hook up the vacuum hose when you balance the TB's, if one is missing or cracked allowing air in the engine will run like what you describe.

I would start at the TB's by looking for a vacuum leak. Possibly the vacuum line that goes to the canister has rotted or come loose.

On my ride to work today my 95 1100rt (70k miles) was backfireing, like the sound of a shotgun going off ! it did this a few times and was very rough to idle at the traffic lights, does this mean that the bike is running to rich or too lean ? Thanks Jase

Had you just topped up with fuel?

Have you just done any work on the bike?

Check you plugs and check the leads are correctly pushed on.

Andy

I would start at the TB's by looking for a vacuum leak. Possibly the vacuum line that goes to the canister has rotted or come loose.

I think if it's a UK spec, it won't have a canister.

Andy

I think if it's a UK spec, it won't have a canister.

Andy

What does the UK spec bike have at the base of the TB's? Are they capped off, or some kind of crossover?

What does the UK spec bike have at the base of the TB's? Are they capped off, or some kind of crossover?

Capped off.

Andy

Archived