IGNORED

Disengaging case locks

SK_in_AB

I read on the site about someone who had revised his sidecase locks so that you could open and close w/o a key. Is this possible/easy? I would still want to be able to use the key for security sometimes, but when commuting from home to a secure garage with only my helmet and jacket in the bags while at work I would be happier to not have to fiddle with keys.

Any advice out there on this idea?

Eckhard Grohe

I did this just yesterday and have these comments.

1. Don't use anything bigger in diameter than a large paper clip. It's a stepped hole and it won't go in far enough if the diameter is too big.

2. You only need to modify the tabs that are marked 2(ll) and 3(lll).

3. I only had to file the end opposite the 'step' for the return spring.

4. I lost one the springs so I left out one of the most common of the tabs that I had. A #1 in my case.

5. Not for the faint of heart. You could make a little sketch of the cylider which indicates the position of the various tabs as per their number code and then take them all(3) apart at the same time. Being the impatient type, I did the last 2 together. I degreased the tabs and then started to work on them.

A bit technical now. What you want to do is change the length, from the inside of the rectangular hole to the rounded end, of the tab opposite the spring hook. This length is about .155 and .180 inches for the #2 and 3 tabs to .130 inches, the same as the #1 tabs.

The method I used was as follows.

I clamped the tab in the vise with the end I wanted to work on sticking above the jaws and measured the distance to the jaw with my caliper. I then proceed to file off as much as I needed with a fine file. It's brass, so go easy. Measure often as you don't want to over shoot too much, .005 inches is OK. Round off the end a bit to more or less match the other end.

I cleaned and regreased the locks while I was at it.

This how it was for me. YMMV

I might like an easy way to access the bags on a trip or whatever, but I would worry that the cases would come open accidentally while riding - couldn't the vibration make the handles open if they are not locked? Or some klutz like myself might just pull on the handle without thinking and spill stuff everywhere...

Maybe the best solution is to rekey the bags to not match the ignition, and leave the key for them in, but locked? Would be more secure. Rekeying is pretty easy - no grinding involved. And you can purchase cool covers for the key that look like a BMW insignia.

If you are happy with your secure garage, why not just leave a spare key in the lock?

This is a good idea for the topcase, which is a different key from the igntiion. If I left the key in the sidecases someone knowledgeable could ride off with the bike. frown.gif Also riding around with the key in the topcase I would be worried it might vibrate out in the locked position (no spare) and I would be locked out of my topcase.

frown.gif

Thanks Mike and Eckhart. As with most of my planned bike work I will print and file your advice for a cold January day when I get some spare time to tinker. It sounds easy if I am careful, although with my clumsy hands I predict a 2 hour effort! smirk.gif

-------------------------------

This is a good idea for the topcase, which is a different key from the igntiion.

Nope. All keyed alike.

----------------------------------

If I left the key in the sidecases someone knowledgeable could ride off with the bike.

Not if you have the immobiliser installed thumbsup.gif

-------------------------------

Also riding around with the key in the topcase I would be worried it might vibrate out in the locked position (no spare) and I would be locked out of my topcase.

Try the steel trace / cable tie thingy.

-----------------------

wink.gif

Actually, the 1100/1150 topcase and side cases are not normally keyed alike - side cases come with the bike, topcase is extra so initially it has a different key. Many of us have rekeyed the topcase to match ignition/side cases, which is probably what someone did in your case.

Stephen - if and when you do pull your lock cylinders, you can rekey the topcase to match your ignition key with a little trial and error by rearranging the locking tabs in the cylinder. It's pretty easy once you get the cylinder out. thumbsup.gif

I've had two RT's now and both came from the dealer with same key in all cases (side and top). Might be easier to re-key your ignition....just one lock to change.

Archived