IGNORED

Golden Gate to Alices

Kitsap

Looking for a fun route from Golden Gate to Alice's Restaurant. May 7th I will be leaving Fortuna early, hope to be coming through around noonish.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

There's many ways. The most scenic is also the longest time-wise because of slow people, mostly.

Here's how I would do it, if I were interested in the "most scenic way."

Immediately after the GGB you exit. This means you HAVE to take the right-most toll lane, otherwise you run the risk of having to cut across a lane (or 8) of traffic in about 200 feet.

You're now on Merchant Rd in the Presidio. Follow it up to Lincoln Blvd and turn right. Anywhere along here, BTW, are a number of good views of the bridge and surrounding area that aren't "the common" view you see in pictures.

Follow Lincoln Blvd through Sea Cliff and up to the Palace of Fine Arts. Ride around the founatin at least once (why not?) then keep going over to Clement St, or Geary Blvd and turn right. Either way, make your way down to Point Lobos and the Great Highway. Follow it to Skyline Blvd and keep going sounth.

At the top of the hill turn off to Hwy 1 South, and follow that for a long time. You'll pass Pacifica, Devil's Slide, Half Moon Bay and then some more.

After you've run down the coast a ways, turn left on Hwy 84- La Honda Road. Follow it to the top, where Alice's will be on your left.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Oh, and I hope you're leaving Fortuna early. It's at least a 5 hour ride to Alice's, and that's going the fast way. You should plan on 5.5, or maybe 6 just to be safe.

While in Fortuna try stopping at the Eel River Brewing Company. Good food, not to mention their "Be Natural - Drink Naked" t-shirts

Tom suggested a route that is not only scenic but the most direct. Not sure what your route is from Fortuna but you might want to allow 7 hours or more instead of the 5-1/2 Boney says to if you choose the coast route from Fortuna.

If I might, I would suggest Fortuna to Ft. Bragg with a stop at Egghead's for breakfast. Then the coast all the way down to Alice's.

Archived