IGNORED

Boots for touring and comfort? An impossible request?

hopz

I have boots on my mind.

I have been wearing a good pair of tactical boots with the side zip. They are reasonably comfortable around the parking lots and after the ride, but I would like something at least one notch more so. As for safety, they are possibly ok but my guess they would not compare to modern technology in that category. Regarding rain and weather- they hold up for a short shower, but not that good in a real frog choker.

Reviewing the previous posts I keep hearing good things about Alpine Stars Effex Gore-Tex, Sidis and even some good things said about the Tour Masters.

I'm sort of leaning toward the Alpine stars... any experience, or thoughts on the matter?

Aerostich Combat Touring Lites. They are actually made for Aerostich by Sidi, and I prefer the design to that of the Sidi touring boots. Review.

I've never felt the slightest dampness. If I hadn't been wearing them when I hit a deer 2 years ago, I would probably have screws and plates in my ankle. Wonderful fastening system with inner speed laces and a huge outer velcro strip, plus an adjustable buckle make them easy on/easy off, but extremely secure. Soles are replaceable at a reasonable price. Once they are broken in (which took me about 2 years!) they are supremely comfortable.

For me, the only downsides are that "utilitarian" is a charitable description of how they look, and they have a big stiff toe box, which may require some adustments to shifting technique. I feel like this may be the last pair of boots I will ever need.

Been wearing Alpinestars Web Gortex boots for about 6 years now. I liked them so much I bought another pair I found on sale for the time when these wear out.

Oxtar (now TCS) Matrix are my favorites....so much so I bought an extra pair for when the current ones wear out....I wear them off the bike all the time for hours and can also report they are very waterproof.

I have the Alpinstars Gore Effects. Very pleased with how easy on and off they are. Comfy on the bike, and when I get to the office they look ok under dress pants for the ride up the elevator. I keep shoes in the office, but the boots are so comfortable I sometimes leave them on in the office for an hour or two if I'm racing to an early meeting.

Seem tough enough although I haven't tested them in a crash. Nice and warm - on cold snow days I wear them walking and riding the train to work - excellent grip in wet and on gritty gravel roads

All in all I highly recommend the Alpinstars

Sidi is your best bet. I have a couple of pairs and they are the most comfortable off the bike. We do a lot of hiking and exploring when stopped at the side of the road and the Sidis work well for dual-duty. Stay away from the race-oriented boots and you should be happy.

By contrast, I just bought a pair of BMW AllRounds. Very good while on the bike, but stiff when walking around. They are loosening up a bit with use, but the Sidis were good right off the bat.

I have the Alpinstars Gore Effects. Very pleased with how easy on and off they are. Comfy on the bike, and when I get to the office they look ok under dress pants for the ride up the elevator. I keep shoes in the office, but the boots are so comfortable I sometimes leave them on in the office for an hour or two if I'm racing to an early meeting.

Seem tough enough although I haven't tested them in a crash. Nice and warm - on cold snow days I wear them walking and riding the train to work - excellent grip in wet and on gritty gravel roads

All in all I highly recommend the Alpinstars

On sale at New Enough,still looks like a number of sizes in stock.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/alpinestars/effex_gore_tex_motorcycle_boots.html

JR356

I have a couple of pairs of BMW boots that are woderfull, and waterproof. Try Ebay, thats where I got both of my pairs for next to nothing.

Sidi OnRoad Sympatex, hands down. See my review in MCN here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnholiday2007.pdf That was written 2 years ago, and I finally retired them at well over 125,000 miles. They're were still fine, but were getting kind of funky inside, so I splurged on a new set. Absolutely rugged, but absolutely comfortable right out of the box. A 10 out of 10 in all respects.

-MKL

+1 Oxtars/TCX

Love mine, think the current model is called Jupiter. Waterproof, good ankle support, lacing allows selective tightening, lightweight and they have sizes to fit my clown-width feet.

They're my footwear of choice when traveling, even if no bike is involved. Have hiked in the mountains and walking-toured many cobblestoned cities/villages with them.

Sidi Canyon boots for me. As with the On Road boots they a comfortable right out of the box. At 5'8" and a 30" inseam I needed a boot with a larger sole than my old Alpinestars race type boot. So far they seem very waterproof!

Sidi On Road Sympatex! I like everything about them but my wife says they have a "Mad Max" look about them if your pants are tucked in. I keep the pants outside :)

markgoodrich

My two cents: All the various hiking boot suggestions will be comfortable on and off the bike, but none offer the protection a pair of motorcycle-specific boots can. If the boot doesn't have shin and ankle armor, I don't want it. Maybe it has something to do with crashing with no ill effects.

It's surprising to me that even the Combat boot line from Aerostich doesn't appear to have armor to protect the ankle.

My personal boots are Vendramini, which cost about the same as the Combats, but are completely waterproof, armored on the ankles and shins, and comfortable enough to walk around in.

ANY motorcycle boot, by the way, can be resoled. The company which resoles the Aerostich boots can do any boot, as long as you don't mind the word "SIDI" on the bottom of your foot. I had my Vendraminis done about a year ago. SOLE PERFORMANCE is the place.

Sidi Canyon boots for me. As with the On Road boots they a comfortable right out of the box. At 5'8" and a 30" inseam I needed a boot with a larger sole than my old Alpinestars race type boot. So far they seem very waterproof!

:thumbsup:

I'm on my 2nd (and last) pair of Alpinestar Web Gortex boots. The only reason they are the second pair is that the place I bought them from replaced them at no charge after the soles wore through after only a few months. Yep, the 2nd pair is doing the same thing. The soles are hollow-molded and glued to the boot like a tennis shoe. Just a little wear and they are no longer waterproof. I don't drag my feet when stopping but I do have a tendency to keep them on during the day.

On the other hand they are very very comfortable.

I remain a thrilled Sidi Strada fan. I have both the vented and waterproof version. I've hiked in them, and often wear them at work all day. They're wearing well after two+ years.

I swear by the Sidi On Road touring boots. My wife has Sidi Canyon boots.

www.newenough.com has the '08 On Road's for a $100 off retail right now. The '09's look to be a little nicer in design if you have the cash.

I also have Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots for my sport bikes. Sidi are comfortable from the start.

Linz :)

Boots are like gloves and helmets; if they fit, they're good, and they don't they aren't. The last time I was looking for a pair, I tried on the Sidi On Road touring boots, and didn't like the three-strap velcro; I preferred the big single velcro flap + ankle buckle design of the Aerostich combat touring lites. They are both wonderful boots, and will last almost forever with reasonable care. $225 from Newenough is a great price on the Sidis.

Paul Mihalka

I own more than one pair of boots, but when traveling my only footwear is from Cruiserworks http://www.cruiserworks.com/ . May be not the absolute max in safety, but comfortable for walking, really water proof, and does not look like the boots for Ricky Racer, if that matters to you.

......Reviewing the previous posts I keep hearing good things about Alpine Stars Effex Gore-Tex, Sidis and even some good things said about the Tour Masters.

I'm sort of leaning toward the Alpine stars... any experience, or thoughts on the matter?

Like you I wore "tactical" style boots for years. Great for everything but rain, and they were a little shorter than I wanted.

After doing research looking for "water proof" boots, I ended up with Sidi Thunder boots a few years ago. They are totally waterproof. I have worn them in several downpours and my toes stay dry. There were expensive, but I suppose you get that for which you pay, eh?

My only negative comment is on their "grip". I miss what my tactical boots gave me. If I were looking at waterproof mc boots today I'd check out their soles closely.

2403507110061932057S425x425Q85.jpg

+1 on Cruiserworks. Extremely comfortable and light and I think still good protection. I also have a Sidi and are very thin on leather and the sole is hard and my foot gets tired and sore after awhile. Cruiserworks never give me tired feet.

Bruce

I have been using RevIt Apache boots since the first of the year. They are completely waterproof in a downpour and have a sole kind of like a hiking boot which grips well in snow and dirt. They are ok for walking and very comfortable. My only concern is that they may be too hot in the summer, but most waterproof boots are.

Dave

I just purchased a pair of magnum comfort composite toe boots with a side zip. ($120.00) Claims to be waterproof and to keep feet dry and odor free. we will see. going to the NE tech daze and rain is promised for the trip... As usual. Need the composite for work and Hey they afford a bit more protection to the tootsies also! Mainly sold to police and enforcement services. feel comfortable right out of the box.

Bob

Archived