IGNORED

Ipod

VladtheImpaler

VladtheImpaler

My Ipod is locking up when mounted to the handle bars. It appears to be over heating. Is anyone else having this problem? Has anyone overcome this problem?

Russell

I have mine just in front of my gas filler attached with velcro to the tank...

Works great and no I have not had a overheating problem

It MAY be related to heat, but also the beating it takes (vibration-wise) on the bars many times will make it act up.

Hard drive based intellegence does not necessarily like the rigid handlebar mounting.

When I had my iPod on the bars it would lock up at random times. When I just have it in my jacket pocket inputting ear plug speakers it's fine. When I use my iPod shuffle on the bars, no problem because it is not hard drive based.

I wouldn't mount anything with a hard drive to the handlebars, or any other hard mounting without some kind of vibration isolation... almost sure to cause errors reading the drive.

russell_bynum

I agree with those who are saying it is the vibration from the handlebar mount that is causing your problem.

I've ridden in 100+ temps with my iPod in the map case on my tank bag. After a couple of hours in that greenhouse, I can't even hold the thing because it's so hot..but it's never had any problems.

I'd suggest moving the device somewhere with more vibration isolation like your tankbag, a jacket pocket, etc.

When I had my Sony Mini Dics player attached to front brake master cylinder cover with dual lock Velcro it would skip all the time. Even on very smooth roads. frown.gif

Once I moved it to the RCU dash shelf I never had a problem one with it skipping. clap.gif

"I've ridden in 100+ temps with my iPod in the map case on my tank bag. After a couple of hours in that greenhouse, I can't even hold the thing because it's so hot..but it's never had any problems."

I believe you may kill the screen if you ride that hot too often. I've had my screen go black at high temps in my car. Panic did ensue, my life revolves around perpetual access to massive amounts of music. The cure was about ten minutes in the fridge or freezer.

russell_bynum

I believe you may kill the screen if you ride that hot too often. I've had my screen go black at high temps in my car. Panic did ensue, my life revolves around perpetual access to massive amounts of music. The cure was about ten minutes in the fridge or freezer.

Yeah, I've had that happen once or twice. I just turned it off and left it alone. The next time I thought about it (a day or so later, it was fine.

I stopped carrying it in the mapcase, and moved it to the main part of the tankbag and haven't had a problem since.

BlueBeemerBoy

I killed the hard drive in my Delphi MyFi XM radio by mounting it to the bike. Hard Drives and RTs don't get along very well.

ClearwaterBMW

speaking of vibration, on my 1200GS yesterday, the BMW Nav ii unit kept doing funny things at 70mph on the road until i realized that the vibration of the bike was causing the sensitive touch screen to be activiated. so this garmin 2610-based gps unit can be messed up by vibration even though it does NOT have the hard drive storage device.

greg

Archived