IGNORED

Looking for fuel line quick disconnect in San Diego

KMG_365

Hey All!

I'm here at Gregori's doing a TechDaze brake bleed and fuel filter demo and as I went to put my fuel tank back on (at 6:00pm on a Saturday! tongue.gif ) managed to snap one of the fuel line quick disconnects! eek.gifbncry.gif

I was just throwing this out there in the odd chance that someone local might have an extra one in their tool box that I could buy. I thought I had one at home as they're getting kind of brittle with age and I've broken one before, but my tools and supplies are in a pile in the shed until the new garage is completed. I'll take Leslie's bike home tonight and check, and otherwise I'll stop by a NAPA for some clamps and a generic fitting tomorrow until I can get to a dealer on Tuesday. frown.gif

TIA

Mine broke on its own two days ago! I have a spare female connector, but that's not going to help you much since I'm 360 miles north of youse...

WyreNut

Thanks, Dan! thumbsup.gif

I didn't think to check the DB again before I ran to the AutoParts store and whacked off the QD's. I put a barb fitting and a new length of FI-line in there, but I'll have to cut it off next time I remove my tank: that bugger was hard to get on! crazy.gif

I've got to figure out a better fix than the stock QD's as the miles in the high heat are going to strand one or both of us someday soon. Thanks again!

Paul Mihalka

I don't trust those QD fittings. I've seen too many brake, even when not in the process of connecting/disconnecting. Recently I made the conversion of external gas filter on my R1150R. As I was getting some new hoses, I went the old fashioned way. Discarded the QD and attached the hoses directly to the metal pipes. It may spill some gas when I disconnect, but it won't break. With the gas filter on the outside, I will not take off the tank too often.

The same manufacturer that makes the plastic ones, makes metal ones. I don't recall the manufacturer's name, but I spoke to them at a biotech manufacturing trade show and they showed me all sorts of cool parts, until I told them that I was only interested in them for my motorcycles.

I've also seen the metal ones advertised someplace on the web for motorcycle fuel use, I just don't remeber where.

I'm not much help, I know. grin.gif

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=2023

Goodridge, the folks more noted for their SS brake line kits, have some very bling looking couplers:

http://www.goodridge.net/maincat2002/SECTION2.pdf

And McMaster's current online catalog, page 150, has exactly what you've got now but in chrome plated brass. ~$25 a pair.

These look weird:

http://www.amazonhose.com/Quick_Acting_Couplings.html

I'd probably go for the mcmaster ones myself.

Thanks for all the info, guys! Steve, I'll check out the links you sent.

Recently I made the conversion of external gas filter on my R1150R. As I was getting some new hoses, I went the old fashioned way. Discarded the QD and attached the hoses directly to the metal pipes. It may spill some gas when I disconnect, but it won't break. With the gas filter on the outside, I will not take off the tank too often.

Paul, with the EVO brake bleed schedule, I've got to be pulling the tank every year anyway. I should be pulling it in between brake bleeds as well to change the filter again as we're usually doing 35,000 miles a year and that's a bit much for the fuel filter.

Archived