IGNORED

Oil Change - What do you do with the old Oil?

lopaca

It has been over 30 years since I changed the oil on anything.

With our new economy I have decided to do more wrenching on my RT. How are people dealing with the old oil?

Thanks in advance.

Take it down to the local bike shop, where I buy the new oil. Owner lets me dispose of the old oil there, which goes into a 50 gallon drum that gets recycled when full.

-MKL

How are people dealing with the old oil?

Here in Portland we are allowed to put it on the curb with our recycling. Has to be in a clear container not larger than 1gal. You can put multiple containers out. Used milk jugs are the container of choice.

Well since you live where I live...

Any of the auto type places like kragen,auto zone, pepboys take your used oil at no charge.

There is no curb side pick up and independent shops have to pay to have their oil picked up so they don't like drop offs there.

Well since you live where I live...

Any of the auto type places like kragen,auto zone, pepboys take your used oil at no charge.

Perfect! There is a Pep Boys 5 minutes from my house. :wave: Thanks.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

+1 :thumbsup:

We use the local Kragen and they take the filters too........Also took my OEM battery there when I changed to a Westco recently....

I have an old 5-gallon can that I put all my used oil in. When it gets full I take it, together with the used filters, to Wal-Mart for free recycling.

Jay

I catch a flock of ducks with steel spring traps, soak them in the old oil, waterboard them, then release them in a sensitive wetlands habitat.

Slyder_Steve

Nice!!! and I like it :thumbsup:, but then, I am sort of twisted.

While some may find the above remark funny (in a twisted sort of way) there are potentially more "environmentally friendly" ways to dispose of used motor oil.

Slyder

I catch a flock of ducks with steel spring traps, soak them in the old oil, waterboard them, then release them in a sensitive wetlands habitat.

I never would have pegged you for the sensitive, environment friendly type. :grin:

I save one gallon plastic drink containers and pour used oil into them. I then leave them on the sidewalk in front of my house for a once every two week recycling pickup by my refuse waste service provider.

+1

-Or burn it in the wintertime

I soak pigeons.

Take them to the local skeet range.

Makes for a flaming good time.

What, no stress positions and/or sensory deprivation????

Mollycoddler.

Most states mandate that any retailer selling more than xx gallons a month also accept used oil for no charge, so just about any auto parts store will take it. They may not always advertise the fact, but they have a waste oil collection tank in the back and you can use it.

If he burns used motor oil in Pasadena I think and hope he may end up in jail, or at least a code violation. If you burn it it should be in a super burner that does not produce horrible smoke that would choke your neighbors to death.

Which is still probably illegal in the city, and should be.

Kragen, Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc, and I have found some of the JiffyLube, QuikiLube, CheapoLube, MaybeWeDiditMaybeWeForgetLube places will also take it and the filters.

Does anybody know after they take it for "recycling" what is done with it? That is, how is it they "recycle" it?

dc

If he burns used motor oil in Pasadena I think and hope he may end up in jail, or at least a code violation. If you burn it it should be in a super burner that does not produce horrible smoke that would choke your neighbors to death.

Which is still probably illegal in the city, and should be.

Kragen, Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc, and I have found some of the JiffyLube, QuikiLube, CheapoLube, MaybeWeDiditMaybeWeForgetLube places will also take it and the filters.

Does anybody know after they take it for "recycling" what is done with it? That is, how is it they "recycle" it?

dc

Here is one way it's used.

Always a smart alec in the crowd.

Actually, I was going to reply:

"Well, there's this stream behind the back of my garage ..." :grin:

Our area has two options, the local autopart dealers and Walmart, as previously mentioned, or a city recycling center. Since my 21 year old son seems to collect but never dispose, I tend to take 5 gallons at a time to the city recycling center.

I save one gallon plastic drink containers and pour used oil into them. I then leave them on the sidewalk in front of my house for a once every two week recycling pickup by my refuse waste service provider.

Heh heh heh.... that's actually exactly what I do. I have to tape the caps on the jugs or they won't take them.

I'm not soaking any duck in damn motor oil, and it won't respond to waterboarding anyway after it's roasted.

DaveTheAffable
Actually, I was going to reply:

"Well, there's this stream behind the back of my garage ..." :grin:

I used to pour mine down the toilet.....

...'till me mrs fell off the slippery toilet seat and got hurt bad.

:grin:

(I hope no one takes these seriously!)

I live in a watershed area and am very cautious about every drop that spills. I recycle it into the same containers the oil came out off and either send it to the local autobody shop (they use it for heating) or to save it for my recycling center's twice a year hazardous materials pickup.

Sounds good for MA. But I have been told that there is no one else west of the Mississippi River doing any such thing. That west of the MS River it gets burned. In oil burners.

dc

Used milk jugs are the container of choice.

I don't know about motor oil, but brake fluid and automatic transmission fluid have both leaked in a major way after I stored them a couple of months in milk jugs. Not sure if the problem was chemical or just heat and age.

I use a large empty Costco laundry soap container to transport the used oil to my local Pep Boys. I can do a few changes before I have to take it. The rt is the easiest vehicle to change the oil on of any I've ever owned. Don't have to jack it up like a car. Don't have to remove the bodywork.

I don't know about motor oil, but brake fluid and automatic transmission fluid have both leaked in a major way after I stored them a couple of months in milk jugs. Not sure if the problem was chemical or just heat and age.

I had several milk jugs full of used oil in my garage for some time (too lazy to turn them in :dopeslap:) but kept them all in a large plastic tray from an old refrigerator... seems that not all milk jugs are created equally... there were two different kinds and one kind did end up leaking (maybe was a little thinner than the other?). The tray kept the mess to a minimum. After that, I never kept any jugs of oil for more than a week, just to be sure.

Oh, and heat may have something to do with it since the leak happened in the summer when it was probably over 130* in the garage.

I had several milk jugs full of used oil in my garage for some time (too lazy to turn them in :dopeslap:) but kept them all in a large plastic tray from an old refrigerator... seems that not all milk jugs are created equally... there were two different kinds and one kind did end up leaking (maybe was a little thinner than the other?). The tray kept the mess to a minimum. After that, I never kept any jugs of oil for more than a week, just to be sure.

Oh, and heat may have something to do with it since the leak happened in the summer when it was probably over 130* in the garage.

Some good ideas HERE on storing used oil. I always use a glass or metal container for brake fluid unless I have the container it came in. It seem to leak out of some types of plastic.

Amateurs, all of you. Amateurs.

Here in Alberta we have 10,000 acre ponds for that - Syncrude

WE know how to torture ducks!

Archived