IGNORED

tire air leakage on the 1200GS

ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW

is there any inherent difference in the amount of air leak at rest in the tires of the 1200GS....

spoked or cast?

my LT last wheels never leak any air over time (essentially)

how about the spoked GS wheels vs. the cast?

thanks in advance

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

Why should it leak more? If anything it will leak less since the rim band of the spoked wheel is not a casting but rather, an extrusion. The spokes have no bearing as the seat outside the beads of the tire.

Gosh, now I'm worried about my spoked wheels. Have they been leaking air all this time? Should I trade them in on a set of new wooden wheels that promise not to leak any air for 3 years or 36k miles? eek.gif

Ed, are you sure they are ok? smirk.gif

What Ed said. These spoke wheels are built "inside out". The rim end of the spoke is external to the tire bead. So air leakage wise they are no better, no worse than a cast wheel.

Now cleaning ease, that's another subject...

ClearwaterBMW

good grief marty

are you going to ride me forever on this site....

remember... this is the NICER site...

you want to belittle my EVERY post....

do so on advrider... they have less "rules" over there

lay off already

i've had enough

i'm amazed that even at your age you still enjoy being the "bully of the playground"

you must have been VERY LOVED in grade school

i asked a SIMPLE question about the wheels

had you ANY knowledge of motorcycle wheels in the past then you would know that spoked wheels/tubed and tubeless tires in the past all had specific leaking issues.

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

HEY!!

Lay off Marty, not that he needs defending. He's quite capable of defending himself.

If you can't take a bit of poking, your in the wrong place.

If YOU had bothered to go out and look at the wheels, you could have figured that out for yourself.

BTW, I have never met a motorcycle wheel that didn't leak a couple of percentage points a week. Its the nature of the beast. The more you ride the less they leak which I have yet to figure out.

ClearwaterBMW

poking is irrelevant

i can take plenty with the best of them...

marty just loves being the bully, at least towards some folks. that's all i meant

on another note, this has NOT historically been the place for poking/plenty of other websites for that

let's put this to rest

i appreciate your comments about the spoked wheels. You, Ed, have ALWAYS been helpful towards me and others.

greg

Greg,

Just because Marty is old enough to actually remember wooden wheels on motorcycles doesn't mean you should let him get to you, or resort to personal attacks in response to his jokes.

Rise above and remember to check your pressures regularly (and don't forget your tires either). smile.gif

ClearwaterBMW

you are correct

i should know better

i do apologize to marty

perhaps, one day he'll apologize to me for some of the stuff he's said

not always a democracy, i'm afraid

thanks for the advice

and thanks for a terrific site

a lot of great folks around here

check out our thread about the wonderful mount dora ride this morning in ride tales

we had almost 40 folks from this forum for a wonderful breakfast

ShovelStroke Ed couldn't make it... wish he had

and i DO wish that Marty could have somehow made it down from Atlanta, as i'm sure we would have gotten along perfectly in person.

greg

ShovelStrokeEd

Speaking of checking pressures, I don't know why I bother at all. Based on typical leak rates, I wear out tires before they get too low in pressure. I put a new rear on the S on 1 July. 9K miles on the thing as of today and I still have to get home from Atlanta.

if the leak is pronounced try the following. refill with air and then pour a little water or dish soap around the stem and rim area. see if it bubbles at all. if so it's not airtight.

The more you ride the less they leak which I have yet to figure out.

Ed

Centrifugal force, just like your washing in the spin drier gets pushed into the middle of the drum, so air is forced into the tyre when your riding fast, smirk.gif

Steve Carter

Ed,

My reply was directed to you. I know you can defend yourself but saw no reason for your doing so. It was silly humor as is most of the thread. I have no idea what the other person says as he is on my ignore list.

Archived