IGNORED

Advice on renting bike in Germany (and touring)

Mike O

Lucky enough to be traveling to Germany late June and am entertaining renting a bike for the weekend. I'm looking for any experiences, advice, recommendations, etc. as I want to make sure I get everything lined up before I get there. For example, will I need any sort of special endorsement? What about insurance? It'll just be me (Bernie can't make this trip...maybe next time)

FWIW, I'll be motor-biking out of Hamburg and looking to travel south to the town where I was born (haven't been there in... well a lonngggg time) and west to Berlin where I used to live. Any other places that are worthwhile for a day trip?

Thanks in advance...

Mike O

Francois_Dumas

Hi Mike,

the BMW dealer in Hamburg is here: http://www.stuedemann.de/index1.htm

They rent bikes too, see 'Vermietung'.

That's where I would go.

If you don't mind brand and type, then this may be interesting as well: http://www.qrental.com/

I have no experience with either of them.

As for endorsement: you'll need a valid driving license with 'motorcycle endorsement' on it. International drivers licenses are the best (but I don't think mandatory anymore). You can get them in the US before leaving.

When renting from an official renting company or dealer, the bike will be insured. You will need separate personal insurance covering for theft, accidents (damage to others) and health care of course.

How far south is your town of birth? Somewhere near Siegen or Giessen as I seem to remember?

Bill... Thanks for the book pointer. Not seen that book before.

Francois... I'm not tied to a particular brand, although I might like to try an 800cc class as I'm not looking to do LONG distances. Good advice to contact MY insurance agent here in the U.S.

The small town where I was born is called Helmstedt. It was a strategic military town (recall I'm an army brat) where Checkpoint Alpha began (the more common checkpoint folks recall from history was Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin). Below a picture of Checkpoint Charlie in 1965. This photo was taken on the West Berlin side looking back into East Berlin. It was a VERY interesting time in history to grow up in this area (I don't have a picture in my collection of the Helmstedt end of the autobahn during that time)

519121018_pzK2c-M.jpg

I have MANY more of these and given time, I'd like to revisit these places.

Mike O

Hey Mike

All good advice. If you are going to go to your old hometown and want to relive some of the history of our childhood, then I would go here Grenzlandmuseum Bad Sachsa (Border Museum) which is in Bad Sachsa (about 50 klicks from Helmstadt). I spent a few hours reliving some memories there myself. Also the Hartz Mountains are right there and have some worthy roads to ride on too.

Tom

Tom,

I may have to arrive earlier than I thought...

Called my insurance agent today and a rather sample answer: "We don't have an operating office in Germany, so therefore State Farm cannot cover your automobile or motorcycle while in Germany." .....I'm not surprised.

Another question:

At what point in motorcycle renting-use is it worth bringing (or shipping) your own gear?

Mike O

Francois_Dumas

The rental bike will be insured (you pay of course), so no worries there. But you'll need your own (various) insurances apart from the bike.

Bringing gear along.... hmmmm.... you usually can get most everything you need from the renters.... but run the risk of having to put your head in a sweaty used helmet :grin:

Oh, another thing to visit maybe.... Don't know how long you have, but near Paderborn is the old Mohne Dam, a famous landmark of WW2. The lake provides a wonderful motoring tour around it in an otherwise rather boring landscape of Northern Germany.

... but run the risk of having to put your head in a sweaty used helmet :grin:
Actually, I had notions of just buying one there and shipping it back.

We'll see... I still have a bit more planning to do and this is NOT for sure (I'd give it an 75% chance at the moment)

Mike O

I always have my own gear (remember I am "little" dude) and it wasn't that big a deal. If you want to borrow my helmet bag, just PM me your address. You can get insurance at most dealers too if you call ahead and ask. If you want help because of language issues, let me know and we can set up a early morning conference call. Odds are they speak English though. When I rented the GT last year in Trier it was most most worthy.

Tom

Will do, Tom.

(remember I am "little" dude)
Didn't know that as we've never met. In time, though, as I look forward to it.

Mike O

... but run the risk of having to put your head in a sweaty used helmet :grin:
Actually, I had notions of just buying one there and shipping it back.

Better check pricing before you plan on that. Google Hein Gericke, Louis.de and Polo-motorrad.de

Mike,

A couple of thoughts on gear, for what they're worth.

-If you buy there, you're probably stuck with the selection the dealer has on hand, or you will use a lot of time finding and visiting other dealers to get gear. If you require sizes that are out of the ordinary, you may have little or no selection.

-second, if you take your gear, take as much as practical on board with you. I wear my boots and jacket, carry on my helmet and electronic gear. It make look funny, but it's safe.

We've been on tours where others lost their gear in checked luggage, or it arrived late and watching/helping them get gear together taught me lessons - never buy and carry it on.

good luck

Jim

Thanks for all the advice...

Trying to locate a rental agency is challenging. Why is everything in German? Don't these folks spoke American?

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Mike O

Archived