IGNORED

R1100RT Taller Windshield ?

Dave R1100RT

Dave R1100RT

2000 R1100RT

Using a Cee Bailey windshield currently...nice windshield...but I could use a taller windshield. It would be nice to move the air over the top of my helmet.

Any suggestions ?

I also still have my original stock - are there any products that could be added to the top of that to get airflow higher ?

thanks

dave

Aeroflow was the only screen to do that for me. I'm long legged, ride on the highest seat setting and am 6'2".

Of course, that screen is like a barn door and fuel consumption drops if you wind it up too high and also you start to get pushed in the back. YMMV.

I also like the lack of upper arm wind buffeting from the Aeroflow. My Cee Bailey Eurocut doesn't do any of that. Not for me anyway.

Linz :)

Aeroflow was the only screen to do that for me. I'm long legged, ride on the highest seat setting and am 6'2".

Of course, that screen is like a barn door and fuel consumption drops if you wind it up too high and also you start to get pushed in the back. YMMV.

I also like the lack of upper arm wind buffeting from the Aeroflow. My Cee Bailey Eurocut doesn't do any of that. Not for me anyway.

Linz :)

+1 on the Aeroflow. I'm 5'10". Upper body protection, especially arms as stated above is significantly improved. I almost never have to raise the windshield to full height to maintain airflow over my head.

The shield has been quiet, and of high quality.

Due to it's superior protection, it's pretty hot in the summer. My stock shield was pretty shot, but I have since purchased another one. I plan on swapping it out in the summers.

I'm 6'1" and on my K-RS, the laminar lip did a good job of cleaning up the dirty air from my standard screen and moving it over my helmet. It may not be as cool as a new windscreen, but it was a LOT cheaper and did a good job.

YMMV

I'm 6'1" and use a CB +4 height and +2 width euro cut with a light grey tint. I always look over the winshield and I keep it low all the time - the wind/rain flow over the top of my helmet. I have a 2001 1100RT and when I called CB and asked about the most popular size for my bike, it's what they recommended. I've used it for the past 30k miles and just love it!

Dave R1100RT

I'm 6'1" as well and use the mid seat setting. I work with a guy who rides an ST1100 and he tried the laminar lip and so far he likes it....so it looks like options are Aeroflow, CB+4 and laminar lip.....appreciate the input....options to consider....

thanks dave

You might want to add Clearview to your list. Note especially the optional 5-position adjustable vent. The more a shield protects, the hotter it is riding behind it in the summer. Something like this could be wonderful in hot weather.

motorcycle_windshields_27dff57.jpg

2000 R1100RT

Using a Cee Bailey windshield currently...nice windshield...but I could use a taller windshield. It would be nice to move the air over the top of my helmet.

Any suggestions ?

I also still have my original stock - are there any products that could be added to the top of that to get airflow higher ?

thanks

dave

Dave, I guess that depends of if you want to look over or through your windshield.. Personally I hate looking through a plastic motorcycle windshield.. By the time you look through a pair of sunglasses,, a helmet face shield, & a plastic windshield there is all kinds of distortion & glare.. Especially if the windshield is covered with bugs or dirt..

There are some shorter windshields out there that have air flow control at the top & upper sides that disrupt the air flow near the top & take a lot of the turbulence out of looking over the windshield..

The other thing to look out for on high windshields is turbulence coming from the rear.. If the air flow isn’t managed correctly on a high windshield the low pressure area behind the windshield can be filled from the rear & you end up with buffeting from the rear or air flow from the rear pushing you forward..

Twisty

Dave R1100RT

Good Points Twisty

I hate looking "through" a windshield myself...and would much prefer smaller/efficient to larger surface area....plus I've also noticed the sail effect when a strong wind is from the side or aft that has a slight effect on handling....The Cee Bailey I use now has some curvature on the sides and top...does a nice job, but like this morning on the way into work....at 70 mph....I can drop my head just 1-2" and its so much quieter....I can hear that boxer purrr.....a nice place to be on a longer ride.....

thanks...

Cee Bailey's makes their shields up to 7" taller than stock; you can always order tall, then cut down to fit, but you can't add height to a shield that is too short. The taller shield, the closer the top edge is going to be to your helmet, which should mean that turbulence is also pushed farther back.

I have a +4.5" CB, and I am thinking about taking about a half inch off the center with a table belt sander. I'm only a little over 5'6", and I can see over the shield easily in the lowest position on a flat road, but in the mountains I would have better sight lines if it were a little lower. At highway speeds, raising the shield 1" virtually eliminates turbulence.

My old Pacific Coast came with a large after-market shield, which acted like a sail when passing semis on the highway, and created a noticeable pressure on my back. None of these problems have occurred with the Cee Bailey.

I have a 2002 RT with a CB #2 + 4.5 euro cut and it is very nice.

6'2" and a Corbin seat that drops me a little lower than the stock seat in the tallest setting.

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i think you are going to get as many opinions as there are options. i got an oversized aftermarket shield last summer and must say i am disappointed (yes way better than stock but i still get wicked helmet roar.. might it be my helmet?).

in a perfect world one would try before buying - if you can find a way to do this I think it would de-risk the purchase.

6-2, seat at highest, extra padding in seat

I'm 6'4 with a 34" inseam and have a =7 CeeBailey Euro cut on my 1150RT. I usually ride with it in a low position and look over the shield. If I'm in twisties and need to see the road better, I lower it all the way down. I like the Euro cut becasuse it allows some air on the arms which is a good thing here in Florida. It does cut down on the gs mileage though.

D

MrHondamatic

Has anyone cut a stock windshield down for more airflow to the body, and cleaner air to the helmet? Riding my recently aquired RT home, there were a couple of times more airflow would have been nice. Also I found if I stood up a little bit, the noise level dropped considerably.

Right now I ride with the windshield all the way down, and wear ear plugs. Raising it higher will have to wait on colder weather, as this fat boy needs some air.

Jerry Johnston

Easaily done. Tape it with masking tape a bit farther than you'd like to cut. Mark the tape with a pencil or felt tip pen and follow the curve of the top. Then use a band saw (if you have one) or a fine toothed coping saw and finish by sanding the rough edges after-ward.

MrHondamatic
Easaily done. Tape it with masking tape a bit farther than you'd like to cut. Mark the tape with a pencil or felt tip pen and follow the curve of the top. Then use a band saw (if you have one) or a fine toothed coping saw and finish by sanding the rough edges after-ward.

OK, let me ask again, but more clearly. Has anyone done this, and if so, what were the results?

Archived