IGNORED

R11RT Oil Leak

Russ - deeppurple52

Russ - deeppurple52

We have an oil leak on the left side. There is oil on the cylinder near the junction of the valve cover gasket. No oil is evident on the cylinder closer to the block. Oil blows back on the left rear bag.... not a lot but any is too much. The inside of the tupperware seems to be pretty dry. I suspect the cover gasket or the oil filler plug. Anywhere else I should look?

From the position it sounds like it might be a valve cover leak but also check the oil pressure sender (on left side in front of the cylinder), a common leak point when they fail.

All of the above are correct, but the most common source for a leak where you describe is the circular seal around the spark plug hole. Have the valve covers been off lately?

You're describing what happened to my right cylinder when I didn't seat the spark plug donut properly after a valve clearance adjustment. Had to pull it all off again...

Linz :)

Rubber donut around spark plug is most likely if you just did a service. The oil filler plug is also known to leak past the two o rings.

Sight glass doesn't leak that much oil. It is usually a slight weeping that stays on the glass - or all the oil comes out at the same time.

The oil sender is in front of and below the cylinder, so not very likely.

I had the same problem, and popped out the inner plastic ring in the oil filler hole, to inspect the second o-ring. That o-ring was flattened out. I replaced it but haven't put any miles since. I replaced it with one from my tool box, definitely not a BMW O-ring!

barryNmarin

I've had this problem with my 04RT since day one when I bought it new. The oil in my case is definitely from the oil filler cap and the dealer has replaced and checked everything more than once with the problem unsolved. I noticed that if I ran the oil level at or below halfway on the oil site glass then the problem was solved. Seems the bike has an oil level it likes and will blow any extra out by the fill cap. Maybe there is a flaw in the metal around the filler cap but nothing else seems to work. Could be you have the same issue with your bike. I've started noticing riders' left pant leg to see if it is oil stained like mine. There are actually quite a few among RT/oilhead riders.

Rubber donut around spark plug is most likely if you just did a service. The oil filler plug is also known to leak past the two o rings.

Sight glass doesn't leak that much oil. It is usually a slight weeping that stays on the glass - or all the oil comes out at the same time.

The oil sender is in front of and below the cylinder, so not very likely.

Yes thet O-rings around the sparkplugs are a bear to put on. I just did the valves on my new to me '96 and had the covers of several times to get it close to right. When I puled the plugs before taking the covers off the socket went in fine but even now there is some resistance. I tried it with the donut on the cover, on the bike and slid things together carefully but still haven't got it back to the way it was, the tourqe is right on the bolts so nothing is getting squished.

Does anybody know of any tricks to this?

Allan

Russ - deeppurple52

Update... Oil pressure sender, bone dry. No oil anywhere on cylinders except near cover gasket, Spark plug hole, dry. Replaced both O-rings on fill cap and the cover gasket. Seems to be holding.

Thanks for the advice...

Archived