IGNORED

Does the R1200RT have stealth qualities?

roadscholar

I'm probably imagining this, but it seems I've been riding around on an R1200RT completely unnoticed; not by the general populace, but by the local and state police radar equipment. On several occasions last week they had opportunities to nab me and try to correct my behavior as I was significantly beyond the posted limit when spotted. But they drive by or sit there as if I didn't exist.

So I'm wondering if I'm just lucky (highly unlikely) or does the R1200RT have the substance (or lack of) to back up its angular, stealthy look. No scientific data here, but I know I was zapped at least once (and probably twice more) because I could see the handheld unit being pointed at me. Anyone else have a similar experience? Could be just a case of wishful thinking.

Bill F.

Davitt_Potter

Any idea how far off the 1150RT speedo is, assuming factory tire sizes? I am planning on a GPS at some near point in the future, but even now running 80mph indicated, I'm passing traffic at a decent rate, but not like I was smoking along ...

Any thoughts/guidelines?

Re '04 RT

On my GPS -speedometer shows 70, actually doing 66. At speedometer 80, actually doing 76.

Interesting. My Canadian-spec '04 RT speedometer shows 140 kph (87 mph) and my GPS reads 135 kph (84 mph).

My R1200RT speedo is not nearly as far off as older BMWs I have owned. At 4000 rpm the speedo indicates 76 mph while the GPS says I'm doing 73 mph.

Re '04 RT

On my GPS -speedometer shows 70, actually doing 66. At speedometer 80, actually doing 76.

Interesting. My Canadian-spec '04 RT speedometer shows 140 kph (87 mph) and my GPS reads 135 kph (84 mph).

My 04 RT is 10% out, @ 120kph GPS reads 108kph. I contacted the dealer and BMW says this is within limits. It would be interesting to know just where the limit is.

Not sure about radar and all that. I do know though, that cars seem to want to change lanes suddenly and wipe me out. I came from a cruiser, not super loud pipes but a health burble and never had this problem. crazy.gif

But thats a whole new argument.

Doubt if it's a stealthy bike but I know that some cops just won't try and run down a crotch rocket looking bike. It can be a futile effort. Ask me how I know.

I have some anecdotal evidence.

I rode by 3 of those roadside speed signs yesterday. My RT was registered 1 out of the 3, the one time it did unfortunately calculate my speed pretty accurately. These were just the type that remind you of the speed, no tickets are pending...;^)

I think they operate on K-band, so I'm not sure if we're more detectable with Ka or Laser.

Walter

Ill agree with the cars changing lanes! I've only been on a test ride, and some lady merged right into my lane, coming from behind and right of me, as she passed!! She had to see me!!!

Then later, I thought maybe its a plant, by the dealership, to show off the superior handling capabilities, and use the very loud horn! : )

Oh, by the way, Hi everyone, very cool board!! It's a shock getting used to the civility thumbsup.gif

Rob

Archived