IGNORED

49 Liter Top Case Generic Lock Removal

Ernie2

The dealer installed a generic lock tumbler that requires a seperate key. I now have the correct lock that fits the ignition key. I have attempted to remove the generic lock by removing the bag liner. After removing all of the liner installation screws, I was unable to remove the liner. Appears that something under the liner is preventing it from being removed. I really would appreciate any advice or guidance on how to remove the liner or tumbler.

Thanks Loads

Ernie Strawn

I believe that the lock tumbler is removed from the outside. I think it slides out of the lock housing. I suspect that removing it requires the key.

Joe

When I picked my bike up, the dealer had not received the coded lock for the top case. He fitted another lock that needed a separate key. Now the lock is here, he tells me that it will take at least an hour to change the lock as the case has to be taken apart. I guess from that, access is from the inside.

Hmmmmm.... when I purchased my top case... the housing was in the case, but the inside tumbler assembly was out. The dealer keyed the tumbler assembly to my key and simply inserted it into the case... no disassembly required.

Maybe the hour was to key the tumbler to your specific key rather than to take the case apart.

JW

Mister_Richard

Ernie,

I also have the 49 liter top box. It came separately from the bike when delivered in London. The salesman switched the lock so they were all keyed the same. Didn't see him pull the tumbler out but it only took about 60 seconds and no disassembly of the box. Sorry, I wasn't watching when he removed it.

Richard

There is a special tool (looks like a key only slightly longer)to remove the lock cylinder. Basically, there is a tumbler at the very end of the lock cylinder that retains it in the housing.

You can remove the lock cylinder by taking apart the case, but it is a huge job and takes at least an hour from start to finish. Don't ask how I know this, but it has something to do with fixing a defective lock on my small top case in time for a 3 week trip.

Your dealer should have the tool for removal of the cylinder, and if not ask him to order it. Much easier than taking the case apart, trust me on this grin.gif

Thanks for the time you folks have taken to reply to my top case lock problem. I will mention to the dealer that there is a special tool available to remove the cylinder.

Thanks Loads

Ernie

If you still have the case apart, there should be a small hole in the key cylinder housing that a paper clip should fit into. Insert key, then depress last tumbler with paper clip and gently pull cylinder out. That is why I did not let the dealer install a generic lock cylinder until by key alike cylinder arrived from Germany.

Thanks Vince. The R12RT lock cylinders are different on the new bikes that have the anti theft chipped key. The problem I have is gaining access to the cylinder. Attempted to remove the bottom liner by removing all of retaining screws. There is something that is holding the liner in besides the screws, it is loose but will not pull free. I am reluctant to use much force in fear of breaking something in the bowels of the liner. This would not have been a problem, if I would have been aware that a lock should have been furnished that fit the ignition key. Even though I now have the proper cylinder laying on the work bench, it looks like I will have to contend with the individual key. Don't see that as a problem though.

Ernie thumbsup.gif

Archived