IGNORED

1100 to 1200 upgade

billS

Hi Guys, I have an 1100RT and am thinking of upgrading to a 1200RT but have not had a ride on one yet, I have read some tests etc but would like to know how they compares comfort and handling wise or any other pros or cons.

I do most of my riding 2 up.

Thanks

Bill

I had an 1100 RT, then an 1150 RS and now a 1200 RT.

The 1200 is lighter, faster, more fuel efficient, and more comfortable.

The 1200 has slightly less coverage on the plastic than the 1100 so you get just a little more ventilation.

Panels come off much easier, the thing holds idle way better, and the suspension is better. Mine came with basic suspension but I put Ohlins on it and it rails.

6 Speed box is butter compared to the old ones and it crusies very nicely in its sweet spot.

IMO, The 1200 is superior to the 1100 in every way.

Handling, Performance, Ergonomics, Maintenance requirements, Reliability!

Passenger ergos are most definitely better!

Take your partner on your test drive...

Bill, you might try giving the search function a try as it will reveal a month's worth of reading on this topic, a lot of good reading there (even if it is mostly the same people saying the same thing. :grin:)

In the end though it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks as it is your decision and your money. I was a little surprised when I test rode a 1200 as it wasn't the experience I was expecting after reading some of the threads. I would strongly suggest getting on one yourself and making your own comparison. Test rides are pretty easy to come by over here, hopefully the same is true in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the quick replies. Just one more question though, how do you find the 1200 on a sand road as we do a bit of exploring now and again, but not to wild though have a dirt bike for that.

I will go for a test ride soon, just got to convince the passenger we need to upgrade.

Thanks again

Bill

Don't ride any sand in Ohio but the occasional gravel.

I think the new bike is better than the old one. Its narrower between the knees, seems better balanced, and is not as top heavy as the old bike.

So, should be better in sand too.

Thanks for the quick replies. Just one more question though, how do you find the 1200 on a sand road as we do a bit of exploring now and again

The 1200 definitely has a quicker steering geometry than the prior generation so I would expect that would be helpful in slow speed dirt conditions.

I'm gonna have to jump on the wagon too. Best bike yet.

BMW addressed all the "issues" the 1150 had. Eliminating the Servo assisted braking system was brilliant (2007-2009 models).

Archived