IGNORED

Cooling Air

DrMikey

I'm planning to add aux lights to my 1150RT. I like the idea of this setup:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/images/cylight1.jpg

I wonder if the cooling is compromised by the lamp bodies? The Bernoulli effect might help here, and the oil cooling might negate any loss of air flow. I'm thinking more long term here.

(Maybe this belongs in wrenching, but it may get more views here. If the mods want to move it, that's OK by me.)

That set up just sort of blocks the valve train cover. Not a big deal at all. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Just be advised that area is prone to road debris, like rock kick up. I wouldn't invest a lot of money in a light placed there as it may not last long. I know by the amount of big debris hits on my cylinder covers they wouldn't last on my bike.

I did that set up with my 98 RT and it worked just fine, I never had an issue with it. I was running a set of cheap Wally World lights there, but they worked just fine and I didn't have an issue for the 25K miles or so I put on with them there.

I have quite similar lamps mounted in front of heads as shown - no problems in last 20K miles...those low lamps fashion a nice large triangle for oncoming traffic and also light up the ditches well. You should have no engine or vibration issues...but with all that heat down there, watch where you pass your lamp power cables ! Not too close to the heads or otherwise nice to shield them some...

I have quite similar lamps mounted in front of heads as shown - no problems in last 20K miles...those low lamps fashion a nice large triangle for oncoming traffic and also light up the ditches well. You should have no engine or vibration issues...but with all that heat down there, watch where you pass your lamp power cables ! Not too close to the heads or otherwise nice to shield them some...

I would agree with the lighting and visibility, but if I saw correctly, it seems that they are attached to the cilynder head guards. Is that plastic sturdy enough? I have no 1st hand experience or reference, but it doesn't seem firm enough to me.

Not likely. The boxer is primarily oil cooled. The fins are largely incidental cooling and add strength to the castings.

Archived