IGNORED

Jeeeez! Does it ever end?

philbytx

Out for a ride today, bloody great rock bounced off a truck and hit my headlight. The headlight saver saved the damn light from shattering but I have a nice spiderweb pattern on my R1100R headlight now :cry:.

Has anyone used the H4 replacement units available on Ebay for their bike rather than the unobtainium priced glass/reflector combo used on the R'??

Or, has anyone got a lens for sale!!!

As a follow-up.

Checked around on the usual BMW sites (Boneyard, MOA, IBMWR etc) and nothing doing. Check around on parts and pricing and actually got the best price from Chicago BMW! It was $58 and change shipping included. I used Hammersley for quite a while but, since the name change, I noticed their parts appear increasingly more expensive. On this occasion, they showed double Chicago BMW's pricing on the parts fiche for the glass alone.

What saved my butt on this occasion was the fact that I had a JMH headlight protector (3M clear adhesive type) on the light and it stopped the rock from shattering the glass and, perhaps, going right through and shattering the reflector and bulb as well!

I'm buying another one as I write this..... :thumbsup:!

Be very careful when swapping the lens Phil. There's some gop holding the lens to the reflector assembly and it takes heat to release it. Make sure that you apply the heat very evenly to the glass or it can fracture.

And no, it never ends... :grin:

Seth,

I am coming to the conclusion that owning a BMW is a bit like being a sado-masochist :D.

And thank you for the "heads-up" on the goop thing. I may just put the whole assembly in the oven and bake it a little, around 150F or so, and then dissemble it.

What saved my butt on this occasion was the fact that I had a JMH headlight protector (3M clear adhesive type) on the light and it stopped the rock from shattering the glass and, perhaps, going right through and shattering the reflector and bulb as well!

I'm buying another one as I write this..... :thumbsup:!

Sorry about your trouble. Where are those headlight protectors available from?

Headlight protectors are available from JMH Motorsports.

Ask for Morgan, he's the owner and a bike owner plus a real gentleman and scholar.

Used his stuff on my RT for 6 years now and the R for just over a year now and it really has saved me a few bob!

His normal stuff is 30mil thickness as opposed to 27mil on his competitors products. He will also cut thicker material upon request and he is doing just that for me as I requested 40mil for my R light as the headlight glass is vertical as opposed to the sloping light glass on my RT.

Archived