IGNORED

Wunderlich "high" saddle seat vs. Bill Mayer Saddle vs. lower foot pegs

BigAL62

I am 6'2" with an 2002 1150RT - Just purchased. Long rides seem to stress my knees with some cramping in the side hip area. Any one have experience with this? Dont know whether to lower the foot pegs or purchase a new seat (high). All I know is that the manufactures seat is uncomfortable for me. Any and all suggestions are helpful. als

Fightingpiper

I would suggest both..... The pegs helped with the knees and the Bill Mayer saddle with the posterior. I also just made myself a poormans airhawk from a seatpad from REI which raised me up a bit further. Just sewed on some elastic to keep it on the seat.

http://www.rei.com/product/746401

085f373d-f346-464f-bde5-69648bf55c03.jpg

Bill_Walker

Stupid question: just checking, you do know the seat height is adjustable, right? Do you have it in the highest position?

If the bike still has the stock seat, I highly recommend changing it anyway. The stocker is notoriously uncomfortable. I've got a Bill Mayer on mine and like it, but many swear by the Russell Day-Long. The latter may, in fact, work better for a tall person, since they tend to be bit thicker.

LOL... My buddy asked me the same thing Bill_W! Yes, I did raise it to its highest position. I know the Wunderlich folks advertise that they sell a "high" and "low" seat. The MAyer folks do not. Now I will check out the Russell folks as well. Just want something comfortable - that stock seat is horrible.

Bradley_Gillie
I also just made myself a poormans airhawk from a seatpad from REI which raised me up a bit further. Just sewed on some elastic to keep it on the seat.

http://www.rei.com/product/746401

Thank you for the suggestion! I always love it when there is a $20 alternative for a $190 item.

ALS, 6'2" and an owner of a '02 with a Corbin seat and backrest, Cee Bailey +4.5 #2. My Corbin puts me a little lower into the bike and I have shimmed to my liking. I to had knee ache and some muscle cramps for awhile,but it went away after a few rides. I guess the old muscle and bone isn't what it use to be! Like the other members I would invest in a seat and enjoy the ride, have fun!

I just had a Bill Mayer seat made for my RT. I did a ride-in appointment and was able to provide input througout the construction process, which I highly recommend. Although they don't advertise a higher seat, it is, by default, higher than the stock seat... my guess is that it's about 1/2"-3/4" higher. I have a 34" inseam and always kept the stock seat at the highest spot. I have the new seat on the same adjustment spot and really did notice the difference with regard to my legs not feeling quite as cramped. The trip was 330 miles each way and we are, by no stretch of the imagination, what anyone would call "long distance riders" (yet). After the trip down, my butt, knees and feet were hurting. After the trip back, the only part of me that really hurt was my upper back, mainly from being out of shape.

I've thought about lowering the pegs, but I just can't bring myself to do anything that might increase chances of scraping in tight turns.

Eric the Blue

I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam so I lowered the foot pegs and raised the bars almost immediately after getting the bike. The fit now seems pretty comfortable. However, I'm going to change to a Russell Day Long saddle later this summer. Not so much for the fit, but rather to relieve my middle-aged butt. However, a bit more leg room will be a pleasant by-product.

Archived