IGNORED

Residual Braking Function

Mister Tee

....is referenced in my service manual (08 1200RT) but I cannot figure out what it is. Does anyone know?

My rear brakes drag. Dealer is no help, they say it's normal, yet I seem to be going through rear brake pads at a rapid rate. The procedure for bleeding the rear brake on my bike is ungodly complex and requires removal of the gas tank. Uggghhh.

Don_Eilenberger

I see no reason why an '08 RT would have "residual braking" - that is a reference to the servo-controlled brakes - with power off. You don't have the servo controlled brakes, and you don't have to remove your tank to bleed the rear brake. Sounds like your manual is out of date.

Question 1: Is there some reason you feel the rear brake needs "bleeding" (typically because air has somehow gotten in the system.)? Normal service on the rear brake is a fluid CHANGE - aka - Flush. This is done without letting air into the system.

Question 2: What do you consider a "rapid rate"? Many R1200R owners (including me) report rear pad life of 12-18,000 miles. It seems to be a function on how hard you brake, and using the rear brake in addition to the front, which adds more pressure on the rear brake than the normal linked brake function would.

M.T., your 08 RT should have the new non servo motor power assist system.. That also means there is no residual braking function.. Sounds like your manual is written for the older servo assist system..

As for rear brake wear.. The front lever also applies the rear brakes so if you are using the rear brake pedal that might be adding to rear brake pad wear..

How much rear brake drag do you have? A little is normal but a lot is not.. Just a slight drag feel but no actual braking of the wheel..

Twisty

Paul Mihalka

When I went from my non-linked R1100RT to the partial linked R1150R and now to my current '05 R1200GS I started wearing rear brake pads much more than ever before. Now my rear pads are gone in +/- 15K miles vs. over 30K on the front. Before rear pads lasted longer than the front. Or I did not use enough rear brake before or the linked system over-brakes the rear. Or may be a little bit of both.

Firefight911

Don, Twisty, and Paul have covered things, but, is there a reason you didn't just bring it to the tech daze? We could've fixed it, if there was a problem, right there.

I just replaced my pads at... I want to say about 22,000 miles. I replaced all of them while I was doing it but the rear was almost totally gone. I used to use the rear brake pedal when I first got the bike, but now I don't use it at all except to hold myself on a hill. There is no actual "braking" from the rear but it drags enough that there is resistance to the wheel turning. Unlike the fronts, which spin freely. That just doesn't seem normal to me.

M.T., rear has inherent drag from the drive shaft & final drive seals & gears.. That drag is noticeable (especially when cold).. Are you sure it is brake pad induced drag?

Twisty

Archived