IGNORED

R12RT Aux. Power Outlet

s3steve

I'm looking to mount an Aux. Power Outlet, actually a cigarette type socket on the dash some place on my '06 R1200RT.

I was looking at this socket from Powerlet.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/panel-mount-cigarette-socket/6

Has anyone mounted a socket in the radio box? Would it get too hot in there to be charging phones or other devices?

Anybody have any shots of there install they may want to share?

I Tried the search function and got way to many unrelated hits.

Wow! Now that's we call Bass Boat metal flake paint in the Kawasaki Triples Canada site. Very popular on the '70's era Kawasaki triples. Looks great!

So there is lots of room and it looks like it doesn't stick out to much. No water issues? Is that a switch below the outlet?

CruisinCruzan

It's been left out in pouring rain, no issues. The switch controls my Hella driving lights (on is slaved to the high beams). It is a waterproof marine switch. The flake is more subtle in real life this pic makes it seem much larger. I got tired of 2 shades of gray means we offer a nice line up of colors.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CruisinCruzan, how did you route your wiring for the aux. cigarette outlet?

I'm going to be wiring up mine tonight or over the weekend. I have all the body panels off now and am just wondering which way to go. It doesn't seem to make sense to go under the gas tank just to go back over the tank from the front.

I'll be locating my outlet in the same position as CC has.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10769

If anyone else has any suggestions on the best way to run the wiring your input would be very helpful!

How about some pics of the whole bike?

:thumbsup: +1

Another +1 here. What little of the paint job you can see in that picture is definitely a teaser.

Steve, it is a real pain & very difficult to run any wiring up & under the R/H side of the fuel tank due to the air inlet & air cleaner being on that side..

On the other hand it is very easy to run the wiring under the L/H side of the fuel tank as it is open under there.. Just push a piece of mechanics wire from the rear to the front along the L/H side about battery top high.. Bend the end of the wire over to have rounded leading end & it should push right through with a little pushing & pulling.. Then hook your wire harness to that & pull it through back from the front to the rear (should end up just off the L/H rear top of the battery)..

If you are going to install on the R/H side as shown in the picture you will have to come over & across the front somehow (lots of room up there)..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty!

That's the way I ran my GPS power hook up last night, I was just thinking there must be a better way to run power to the right outside fairing panel. No big deal, I'll just take "The Long Way Around"!

Hey maybe I'll have to get a GS now! :grin:

Steve, if you have all the Tupperware removed you might find a way to go up the R/H side (maybe above the air inlet or outside the tank tunnel).. It’s just pretty crowded on that side & not much open to pass through..

Twisty

not to thread jack but has anyone disconnected one of the outlets and directly connected to the battery? I would like to do this and provide direct charging to the battery and bypass the canbus system.

CruisinCruzan

I installed 2 plugs one BMW and one regular style, both are connected to my fuse block (equivalent to direct to battery).

not to thread jack but has anyone disconnected one of the outlets and directly connected to the battery? I would like to do this and provide direct charging to the battery and bypass the canbus system.

majordad, sure a LOT of us have done just that..

Keep in mind if you have a later 1200 the factory socket is only about 5 amps capacity as it has very small pins in it.. It will take a little more than that but basically if you want to run some higher amp things you really should also install a larger terminal 15 amp outlet..

Twisty

Archived