IGNORED

Another intermittent stall issue, but... >>

BalancePoint

BalancePoint

I have a pretty good idea my problem is not the HES, it's in the harness going to the fuel pump. The relay seems fine ( are they basically go/no go?) and I pulled the fuel tank. While I didn't pull the fuel pump out, is there a common place to look for trouble with power supply to the pump? I checked all the connectors, and such wiring as I could, but no obvious problems. Any thoughts?

Overly tight ziptie harness issues around the headstock area are another known fault with the R's. Plus I just went through the HES issue on mine. While I had the tank off to do the HES and R&R the Alternator belt, I checked my harness and discovered two areas where the harness was doubled over and TOO tightly ziptied. I reworked the zip ties and routing plus another two areas where wiring departed the loom to the lights/horn where the zip ties had rubbed away the harness loom covering and was starting wearing down the actual the wiring :eek:

I have a pretty good idea my problem is not the HES, it's in the harness going to the fuel pump. The relay seems fine ( are they basically go/no go?) and I pulled the fuel tank. While I didn't pull the fuel pump out, is there a common place to look for trouble with power supply to the pump? I checked all the connectors, and such wiring as I could, but no obvious problems. Any thoughts?

BalancePoint, not much we can tell you here.. You didn’t tell us any details on the stalling (like how often,, when,, what RPM & throttle opening,, etc)..

You didn’t tell us how you tested the HES or how you eliminated that..

You say it ISN’T the relay so that must have been tested as good..

Obviously any of the connectors or wires COULD be suspect as well as the pump itself ,, or even the Motronic or power to the Motronic.. Could even be a grounding problem or other like kick stand switch..

How did you test the connectors? You really need to insert a proper matching terminal in every terminal of the connectors that supply power or ground to the pump as a connector/ terminal can look good but there could still be a problem with terminal press fit (improper terminal friction is a big cause of intermittent electrical in the automotive field)

How is the tank venting system? Any chance the tank isn’t venting properly due to pinched, restricted or improperly connected vent lines or a plugged evap canister?

Twisty

BalancePoint

BalancePoint, not much we can tell you here.. You didn’t tell us any details on the stalling (like how often,, when,, what RPM & throttle opening,, etc)..

You didn’t tell us how you tested the HES or how you eliminated that..

You say it ISN’T the relay so that must have been tested as good..

Obviously any of the connectors or wires COULD be suspect as well as the pump itself ,, or even the Motronic or power to the Motronic.. Could even be a grounding problem or other like kick stand switch..

How did you test the connectors? You really need to insert a proper matching terminal in every terminal of the connectors that supply power or ground to the pump as a connector/ terminal can look good but there could still be a problem with terminal press fit (improper terminal friction is a big cause of intermittent electrical in the automotive field)

How is the tank venting system? Any chance the tank isn’t venting properly due to pinched, restricted or improperly connected vent lines or a plugged evap canister?

Twisty

The problem is rather infrequent. Maybe one episode every other ride or so. Bike stumbles, quits. Don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the key once or twice, then it kicks on and the bike starts fine. No crazy tach needle. I can duplicate the problem by unplugging the connector to the fuel pump, or by pulling the fuel pump relay. FWIW, my HES is less than a year old. Stalling seems unrelated to RPM or engine load, although it has mainly happened at low speeds. Won't the kick stand switch prevent turning over at all? Mine turns over, just no start. I guess it's clear (I guess)that it's a wiring thing somewhere in the fuel pump circuit. God only knows how the Motronic plays into that. Way beyond my comprehension...

Thanks for the help-

Ken

Ken, that helps.. You have seemed to have already covered a lot of ground so my suggestion would be to install a small LED or light bulb as near the pump tank pass through as possible then monitor that while riding.. If the light goes off at (just before) stall then your problem is external to the tank & maybe a wiring or relay or Motronic problem..

If the light stays on then suspect a problem inside the tank,, a grounding problem,, or not a pump issue at all..

If the light goes out then move it’s connection back to the fuel pump relay & see if the relay is shutting down at (just before) stall..

Shouldn’t take long to move the light connection around & find where the power is stopping at..

Added: actually change the above around.. Monitor the fuel pump relay fist,, no sense in pulling the fuel tank until you verify the relay is staying energized.. Relay is quicker & easier to get to..

Twisty

Archived