IGNORED

Fourth Annual 343 Mile Remembrance Ride: San Diego, September 11th, 2005

KMG_365

The 343 Mile Remembrance Ride started as an idea I had at the first anniversary of the horrific events of September 11th, 2001. I guess I posted the first notice of the Fourth Annual 343 Mile Remembrance Ride a bit too early and it has since auto-deleted. Here's a reminder in case some of you missed it and a little history:

Leslie and I had just woken up when the morning news was interrupted by the ghastly and incredible live images of the horrors of September 11th. I raced in to work and watched the rest of the tragedy unfold with my Fire Family almost 3000 miles away from Ground Zero.

I had found this wonderful DB (then BBS) late in 2000 searching for my dream bike and after far too many months of research (and justification! wink.gif ) I had decided to buy the RT the very same week I got diagnosed with cancer. So just a few months after 9/11/01 I had to leave work and would not return for almost ten months. During my extended convalescence I got even more severely hooked here but I knew I'd buy my RT the day I got cleared to return to duty. That day was Thursday, September 5th, 2002 and I brought "Maynard" home (the long way! thumbsup.gif ) that evening--but before I left I made my appointment for the 600 mile service for the following Tuesday. The next day I took my first trip on Maynard to the Brazillian BBQ Meat Fest up in LA and over the weekend logged the requisite 600 miles for the first service. I dropped the bike off on the 10th and picked him up just after lunchtime on September 11th, 2002.

Leslie had dropped me off and I was in no mood to hurry home. My heart had been very heavy since the weekend with all the renewed coverage in the news and I just wanted some time to sort out my thoughts. I wanted to mark the anniversary of that tragic day in a meaningful way, to somehow acknowledge that there but for the grace of God go I . . . ,but I had no idea how. I felt a need to give space to the grief and mourn the many losses on my own modern "Day which will live in infamy". Perhaps a long ride to clear my head and contemplate this brave new world we had just been plunged into was as good a start as any, so I left Brecht BMW in northern SD County and just headed east with no particular destination or plan.

I wended my way over some of the fun roads in the mountains to the east, then headed back towards home. As I rode I thought about the victims of that horrible day--in the air and in the buildings--and of the 343 FireFighters, EMS workers and LEO's who survived the initial attack only to later die in the collapse of the Twin Towers in the attempt to save others. The riding seemed to help me sort out the many complicated emotions and my brush with my own mortality as well as my choice of career which I dearly love.

Finally, it felt like time to be heading home. I thought about how long I'd been riding and realized that I'd ridden almost 200 miles. I felt like I'd been on the bike a long time (new stock saddle) and that to ride just one mile for each of my fallen brothers and sisters I'd have to ride another 143 miles and wouldn't get home until after midnight. I quickly did some very rough math in my head and figured that if I rode at least 214 miles tonight, I'd have ridden at least 343 kilometers. So I rode past the house and on down to the beach. I rode along the beach breathing in the salty night ocean air and felt a bit healed. I headed home and as I pulled in to my garage (adding one lap around my block), the trip meter clicked over to "214". I decided then that I'd do the same thing next year--and possibly every year--except that next time I'd ride 343 miles.

That was how it started, but sadly it has since taken on an even more ominous import since "the war on terror" was formally declared. Similar to our involvement in the second "war to end all wars", we tried to stay neutral, but the events of September 11th soon dragged us into the fray and thousands upon thousands of brave souls were asked to pay the ultimate price for their country, their beliefs and their way of life. The significance of "the 343" has in the intervening years become more of a symbol as the numbers of soldiers, Police, and civilians killed as a result of this ongoing conflict have mounted to staggering proportions. Regardless of how you feel about "the war on terror", the undisputed fact is that many thousands of our best and bravest on both sides of the Atlantic, as well as uncounted tens of thousands of civilians have perished in this "war". The 343 are becoming an ever shrinking percentage of the total number of those who now will never return to the embrace of their loved ones as there appears to be no armistice on the horizon. It is now for all those caught in this tragic web that we ride next month. I pray that some day we'll be able to close this latest grizly chapter and put a final tally on the ranks of the fallen, but I will forever mourn and remember their sacrifice on this day. bncry.gif

(From "BIVOUAC OF THE DEAD" by THEODORE O'HARA)

The muffled drum's sad roll has beat

The soldier's last tattoo;

No more on life's parade shall meet

That brave and fallen few.

On Fame's eternal camping-ground

Their silent tents are spread,

And Glory guards, with solemn round,

The bivouac of the dead.

Some of the folks who are currently serving have ridden with us, some who had served their time, or who have loved ones serving now. Any and all are welcome to mark the day with us and ride to remember those taken from us as we tour the County of San Diego and cover some great roads from the beach to the the mountains to the desert and back again.

We start early on the coast in Coronado, head south and east (Otay Lakes Rd., Honey Springs Rd., Lyons Valley Rd.) over the mountains to the desert (Banner Grade, Montezuma Grade) and back up to the mountains (Palomar South Grade and East Grade) and back to the beach. We usually head down the coast in the heat of the afternoon and end up at Fort Rosecrans Military Cemetary at the tip of Point Loma and watch the sun set over the water and the rows upon rows of white stone markers. This is a very loosely organized ride and you are welcome to join us at any point, ride your own solo ride and/or break off and head home whenever you feel the need. For instance in past rides folks who came from north county and had a longer ride to get to the ride start, split off after the Palomar Mtn. stretch and still clocked over 343 total miles. The groups have been pretty small (less than a dozen) so it was fairly easy to stop and regroup every so often. Leslie and I have GMRS radios and Les will probably ride sweep if there's a group that wants to stick together. I'll try to finalize ride routes and have copies for everyone at the start. Unfortunately, I have a Mac so I can't do the kick-ass Garmin ride routes, but I can make a list of way-points and driving directions if you'd like to break off solo. It is not a particularly "hoonish" pace (though some stretches may call it forth from you), but we generally have had no trouble re-grouping at the turns.

Though the house and guest rooms are impacted right now by the remodel, we do have some floor space if anyone would like to stay Saturday night at our place. It is a LONG day as there is almost no slab and most of the twisty roads are some of the best and challenging the county has to offer. We usually meet at the Fire Station in Coronado (1001 Sixth St.) at 06:30 for a moment of silence and start off by 07:00. The Cemetary at Ft. Rosecrans closes at sunset which will be around 7-7:30pm and those still with us are welcome to join us for dinner at the Point Loma Cafe (4865 North Harbor Drive). Bring your layers, cool riding gear and hydration systems! In September it can be pretty cold on the coast in the morning and after the sun goes down and still be hot as blazes in the desert--though we don't dally in the desert too long! dopeslap.gif

A very short 'Tale and some pics from last years' ride are here.

We hope you can join us.

Glad you're on board Greg. This is a beautiful ride for a beautiful purpose.

I think something like Sept 11 and the on going losses are a weighty reminder to cherish the time, the passions and the friends we have, right now.

See you there!

Unfortunately, I am out of town on a business trip that date. I think Russell was interested in possibly joining you though. I'll let him get back to you on that. Hope you have a beautiful ride.

Jaime, unfortunately Carole and I leave the 10th for NYC to celebrate our 25th (I say unfortunately ONLY because I'll have to miss this great ride this year - I am VERY fortunate to have made to 25 years with my lovely bride!).

Have a great time, and safe riding!

Wow!! Congratulations on 25 years Phil and Carole!! Here's to another wonderful 25 years! thumbsup.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Sorry you'll miss the ride this year frown.gif (but you've got a pretty good excuse!). Maybe you and Carole can both join us next year! cool.gif

I wish I'd gotten a chance to chat with you a bit at Gregori's Tech Daze, but you were in and out in a flash. Maybe next time! Wanna join us for a ride to Bill's Tech Daze next weekend (Labor Day)?? grin.gif

I'm already looking forward to the MLK-DeathValleyDaze/Beatty, NV in January! clap.gif

Jamie I'm speechless. I'm in awe at your post friend.

I'm there. So there. I'll be there midday on the 10th and ride in your wake on the 11th. Every mile and memory I can absorb, I'm there.

I remember you and Les so well at Gunnison, and where you were then. I remember you coming to the "meat orgy" on Maynards 1st ride. It just seems like daze ago.

If an FJR is welcome, I'm on my way.

Thank you for the stirring, yet teary, post bro.

thumbsup.gif

Glad you can still make it, Bro! cool.gif

Of course FJR's (and any other marques) are always welcome and the guest suite (such as it is! dopeslap.gif ) will be ready for you. Glad you can make it and it'll be great to see you again. thumbsup.gif

Jamie,

I might even be able to make this one...about to get weekends off for the first time in five years! Are Harley's allowed? Besides, I think I still owe you lunch for helping me with my brake service.

Take care,

Rick

Dennis and Russell: Awesome! smile.gif

Rick: OF COURSE HD's are allowed, and it'll be great to ride with you! thumbsup.gif

For any others entertaining crazy ideas like "skyking" there remember: this is open to any rider and any bike. This is not about us or our rides, it is about remembering those for whom we ride.

In the interest of full disclosure, the traditional route can be a pretty long, hard day on a naked cruiser or dedicated sport bike. It can still be quite warm in September and there is very little straight riding for almost 12 hours or so. I tried to talk a few of my City's LEO's into coming along, but they all ride cruisers or sport bikes and they all took a pass. The Motors guys on their new Honda ST1300-P's aren't allowed to ride them off-duty for non work related activities. frown.gif That's really too bad, as we rib each other constantly about each others' bikes (especially in light of the SDPD recently going with Beemers), and while they'd easily ride circles around me in the slow/tight stuff, I'd just love to take them out for 300 miles of sporting twisties just to see their pained expressions at the end of the day. tongue.gifgrin.gif

For any others entertaining crazy ideas like "skyking" there remember: this is open to any rider and any bike.

Aahhhh well, in that case.....[/evil grin]

Not to worry Jamie, my HD came complete with handlebars and a turnable front wheel, it does ok on twisty stuff. Definately not an RT, but it did pretty well on a 10day/4000 mile trip to Sturgis and back. ;-)

Stay safe,

Rick

. . . it did pretty well on a 10day/4000 mile trip to Sturgis and back.
Yeah, but how many miles were OFF the trailer?? grin.gif

(I'm sorry I couldn't help it--it was too easy! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif )

Jamie,

I am going to try to make it. It is going to take a miracle. The memory of the fallen and those who survived may make it happen. I will always be thinking on this day no matter where I be, that those who serve us, give peace to me.

russell_bynum

For any others entertaining crazy ideas like "skyking" there remember: this is open to any rider and any bike.

Aahhhh well, in that case.....[/evil grin]

0317_detail_001.jpg

John, Hope you can make it!

Russell: eek.gif

Let me re-phrase that: "Almost any bike . . . ." If you show up on that thing, we ain't waitin' for you! grin.gif

Jamie, send me a note on the Labor Day Weekend ride - I am taking the first load o'crapola over to the garage in the new house in Temecula on the Sat, and Carole comes home from AK on the Sunday, but if you are planning this thing for Monday, I'm IN!

Hey, Phil!

The Labor Day Weekend Ride is RT4ME's Tech Daze in the greater Sacramento area. There's a thread about it here.

Oh, and . . . Sorry, Rick! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

"I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go, and did what others failed to do. I asked nothing from those who gave nothing, and reluctantly accepted the thought of eternal loneliness . . . should I fail. I have seen the face of terror, felt the stinging cold of fear, and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moments love. I have cried, pained, and hoped . . . but most of all, I have lived times others woulds say are best forgotten. At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was . . . a Soldier." George L. Skypeck

Not sure if I can make it. If I can, I will be there. If not, I will surely ride with more than a few moments of silence for those that have paid the ultimate price. Politics aside - one thing will always be true - Freedom Is Not Free

Jamie, Thanks for organizing the ride and posting the info. I was just browsing the BB before heading to bed and happened upon it. I’m leaving tomorrow for San Diego and was planning on heading home the 10th but I’m going to hang around southern California for a couple of extra days and make the ride with you. See you on the 11th.

I'd be great to have you along on the ride, Chief! thumbsup.gif

Ping me if you've got time/interest in getting together while you're in town.

Jamie.

I'd love to come down for the ride, been trying to figure out how I can make it work... wondering if you'd mind if I participate from a distance? I'm going to look at routes that could work well - thinking about leaving early and being home before lunch.

Sunday is an important day in the Besley house, with having the little one on that day - my rides are greatly reduced.

I'd love the opportunity to bring a couple of hugs down to San Diego though!!

regards - kris

Just a reminder that we meet this Sunday, 9/11, at the Fire Station in Coronado 1001 6th Ave. - just off of Orange - at 6:30 AM for a time of reflection and a 7 AM start. We will find someplace for you to sleep if you want to come to our place first. We'll be up by 5:30 and there will be muffins, juice and coffee here at our house if you let us know you're coming. We'll ride away from our house no later than 6:10 to head for Coronado.

You can PM me or Jamie for directions to the house if you'd like to come here first.

Looking forward to riding with you!

Good news cool.gifBad news frown.gif. It deeps how you riders take it. I will be there but I have to use a cage. For me it is about the remembrance along with the fellowship. If it was good enough for Russel and Adam at Torrey how bad can a cage be with you guy's. This way I can make it for dinner and bring/have some wine thumbsup.gif See you at the station if anyone wants me to lug their bags full of wine I will be happy to grin.gif

Great, John! At least we get the pleasure of your company! grin.gif I hope your car is at least a little fun to drive in the twisties--or are you having to do other stuff and meet us for dinner? Shoot me your contact info if the latter so I can call you for dinner details in case we're running late.

Is my cage fast enough? Just try to keep up grin.gif I'm in for the whole thing thumbsup.gifYou’ve heard of the Carrera GT, well I don’t have one. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. I’ll bring a scanner along so it will keep up if you have the frequency numbers crazy.gif I'll sweep the sweep. After all if Gleno show’s, I’ll have no problem keeping up dopeslap.gif

Bill: great! Looking forward to finally meeting you! thumbsup.gif

John: Sadly, Glenoz got major bike problems and he's now out. frown.gif

I've got a cheap-o Motorola FRS that you can carry with you in the car so you can still be a part of the conversation. Just keep an eye on skyking when you get those "clear to pass" FRS messages on the blind corners! grin.gif

Anyone with a GPS: I spent all day working on getting a Garmin/Mapsource ".mps" file uploadable. I was finally able to jury-rig a work-around using my mom's old PC running Windoze98 (I'm a Mac guy, but Garmin can't write decent software evidently! tongue.gif ), and managed to email it to my yahoo mail account. Unfortunately I don't have a web presence for data files (other than my Smugmug account) so if anyone would like a copy emailed to them contact me. I thought I'd try to print it out, but it's 20 pages long! eek.gif

See you all tomorrow! clap.gif

Was really trying to make it but unfortuately it's not going to happen. Will say a prayer for all the lost heroes that passed that day and for all that remain. Take care and have a great ride. Be safe.

Archived